Turn on thread page Beta

Windows occasionally pausing for 4-5 seconds, random intervals. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,
    I've had this problem for quite awhile, and I can seem to find the source of it. No matter what i'm doing, whether its just browsing through my folders, or playing a game, the same problem persists. Its almost like my computer just "falls asleep" for those few seconds - there is no hard drive activity, I can still move the mouse yet any open windows will freeze and sound will be skipping.
    I dont have any spyware or viruses as I have ran all of the best scanners, and my hard drive does not need to be defragged. This is a new hard drive, and this problem may or may not have been in existance ever since I got it, could it be an actual problem with the hard drive?

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like RAM troubles or maybe you've got spyware or a buggy program that's overworking your CPU. Next time you're using your PC, press ctrl + alt + del, under the processes tab, you can see how much CPU usage is taken up by each program. Whichever is taking up the most when your pc freezes is most likely the problematic one.

ReputationRep:
    I seem to have the same problem on one of the PC's I use. I have run every type of program to find the problem (Spyware, Anti-Virus, then stuff like sisoft sandra) and it cant. I know its not that the hardware cant keep up as its a X2 4800+, 2Gb RAM, 2X74Gb WD Raptor.

I have just learn't to put up with it now. When I have the time I will take it apart and go through and replace all the parts to see if I can see whats causing it.

ReputationRep:
    Paging comes to mind, but with 2Gb RAM it's unlikely.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.