Turn on thread page Beta

Online translators - what a load of rubbish watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    me and my mates were bored so we typed "Online translators are crap" into a online translator, translated back and forth between languages a bout 40 times and this is what we got:

When, one it will be divided today? even for wools of will, as stops for him of that it is this person, being him, it likes stops for the eye repulsive this and cotton the tent and the public guide them supplement with the river and with the food of the part, of the stop watches its this substance of the place, it will be this problem perhaps, this material major duty with being while being deep two depths this person, it regards as being, the intern of profile of the will the average of substance of the possible intern of example the most distant doctor of member beyond the apprentice the object and it the question, dispatched?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baron)
    me and my mates were bored so we typed "Online translators are crap" into a online translator, translated back and forth between languages a bout 40 times and this is what we got:

When, one it will be divided today? even for wools of will, as stops for him of that it is this person, being him, it likes stops for the eye repulsive this and cotton the tent and the public guide them supplement with the river and with the food of the part, of the stop watches its this substance of the place, it will be this problem perhaps, this material major duty with being while being deep two depths this person, it regards as being, the intern of profile of the will the average of substance of the possible intern of example the most distant doctor of member beyond the apprentice the object and it the question, dispatched?
    u must have been pretty bored

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lgs98jonee)
    u must have been pretty bored
    but yeah they are absolutely hopeless...did u use www.freetranslation.com??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lgs98jonee)
    but yeah they are absolutely hopeless...did u use www.freetranslation.com??
    we we were very bored, i use that one sometimes, but this time we used altavistas one, the babel fish thing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baron)
    we we were very bored, i use that one sometimes, but this time we used altavistas one, the babel fish thing
    i am pretty sure that all of them use the same translation engine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    i am pretty sure that all of them use the same translation engine?
    Nope, i put: "UK learning is a student forum" into both and translated into spanish then back to english,

Altavista came up with: "Learning of United Kingdom is a forum of the student"

FreeTranslation came up with: "To learn of RU is a forum of student"

They must work differently

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baron)
    Nope, i put: "UK learning is a student forum" into both and translated into spanish then back to english,

Altavista came up with: "Learning of United Kingdom is a forum of the student"

FreeTranslation came up with: "To learn of RU is a forum of student"

They must work differently

fascinating, i wonder how long it takes to design and input all the data into a translation engine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baron)

Translated to French and changed to English again

(Original post by Baron)
    me and my companions were bored thus we typed "the translators on line are ****" in a translator on line, translated in the two directions between the languages an access 40 times and it is what obtained us: When, one it will be divided today? even for wools of will, as it for him stops that that it is this person, being, likes to him it stops for the EC repulsive one of eye and cotton the tent and the public guide them it supplement with the river and with the food of the part, of the watches of stop its this substance of the place, will be T-it this problem perhaps, this material principal duty with being while to be deeply two depths this person, it considers as being, the intern of the profile of the will the average of the substance of the possible intern of the example the furthest away doctor from

ReputationRep:
    A long time i expect.

This AI must have taken ages to programme: Alice Bot

ReputationRep:
    They can't translate huge texts, you need to put one or two words in instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baron)

Well, you'd get a similar effect if you used chinese wispers with 40 people of alternating languages, where each 1 had one native language and another learnt to a lower standard.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.