star3000
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
I have applied for a law degree, and will hopefully be attending leeds uni in September. I ideally want to work in the city for a big law firm, how hard do you think this is to achieve. I am intelligent, I am aiming for AAA, but ill never be the brightest is this all they look for?Does everyont appying for a training contract apply to magic circle- esque firms?
Eru Lawliet
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Erm no offense though but how do you actually know that you are intelligent?
star3000
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
just meant previous grades etc, I meant cleverer enough to do law.
Ethereal
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Getting a MC training contract is very hard.

No, not everyone applies there as not everyone wants to practice that type of law. Once you've studied law you might not want to either.
Scots_Law
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
You've also got to remember that most people doing law would be classed as "intelligent" (i.e. AAA grades at A-level), and I get the impression that a lot of folk doing law aspire to work for big city firms.
If you were asking if it is hard then the obvious answer is yes. If you were asking it is realistic... who knows?:confused:

hmm, I don't think that was very helpful :rolleyes:
Scots_Law
Ethereal
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
lol @ scots law. worth a try though eh? :p:
Scots_Law
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Ethereal)
lol @ scots law. worth a try though eh? :p:
...but it's such a random question :p: (not that it is not valid )

:confused:
Scots_Law
Ethereal
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
It will help us on our quest to become lawyers - the ability to weed out the essential question from the associated ramblings
Scots_Law
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Ethereal)
It will help us on our quest to become lawyers - the ability to weed out the essential question from the associated ramblings

CLEO method, anyone? :p:
Ethereal
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
lol
chalks
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
You need to be intelligent, but not too intelligent - it makes the partners nervous and confuses the clients.

Joking aside, sheer academic brilliance isn't necessary. Rather, you need to be keen, diligent, hard-working, a good "team-player" (I hate that phrase), confident, bright (in all senses of the word), likeable and have bags of initiative.

If it was just about brains, I'd be in a cardboard box under Waterloo Bridge....
Ethereal
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by chalks)
If it was just about brains, I'd be in a cardboard box under Waterloo Bridge....
Or a box on a crane like David Blane :p:
john171
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Deathscythe HG)
Erm no offense though but how do you actually know that you are intelligent?
Respect. You nailed him there. :p:
[email protected]
Report 13 years ago
Rather, you need to be keen, diligent, hard-working, a good "team-player" (I hate that phrase), confident, bright (in all senses of the word), likeable and have bags of initiative.

I agree. Iam a mature student (27). 5 years ago I was waiting tables full time when I decided to get my act together. I had very little in the way of GCSE's and A levels but Im now on for a 1st at the end of this year (OK its from a Poly) and I have a TC lined up with a small to medium sized local firm who are very kindly paying for my LPC.

My point? A levels are not the be all and end all, and they are most certainly not an accurate measure of intelligence. They just show you know how to pass exams. You need to research your firms carefully and ask yourself what is it I can bring to the table and then exploit that.
Ethereal
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Another underdog success story!! Nice one Ben!
[email protected]
Report 13 years ago
Cheers. Lovin' the Yorkshire rose btw. I always feel like a weight has been lifted when I pass the white rose on the M62.
Eru Lawliet
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by john171)
yeah i guess so...lol :p:
Eru Lawliet
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by john171)
yeah i guess so...lol :p:

Edited :Ah sorry...double post
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

- Have you considered distance learning for any of your qualifications?

Yes! I'm on a distance learning course right now (9)
7.96%
Yes, I've thought about it but haven't signed up yet (12)
10.62%
No, but maybe I will look into it (28)
24.78%
No and I wouldn't consider it (64)
56.64%

Watched Threads