Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have applied for a law degree, and will hopefully be attending leeds uni in September. I ideally want to work in the city for a big law firm, how hard do you think this is to achieve. I am intelligent, I am aiming for AAA, but ill never be the brightest is this all they look for?Does everyont appying for a training contract apply to magic circle- esque firms?

ReputationRep:
    Erm no offense though but how do you actually know that you are intelligent?

ReputationRep:
    just meant previous grades etc, I meant cleverer enough to do law.

ReputationRep:
    Getting a MC training contract is very hard.

No, not everyone applies there as not everyone wants to practice that type of law. Once you've studied law you might not want to either.

ReputationRep:
    You've also got to remember that most people doing law would be classed as "intelligent" (i.e. AAA grades at A-level), and I get the impression that a lot of folk doing law aspire to work for big city firms.
    If you were asking if it is hard then the obvious answer is yes. If you were asking it is realistic... who knows?:confused:

hmm, I don't think that was very helpful :rolleyes:
    Scots_Law

ReputationRep:
    lol @ scots law. worth a try though eh? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ethereal)
    lol @ scots law. worth a try though eh? :p:
    ...but it's such a random question :p: (not that it is not valid )

:confused:
    Scots_Law

ReputationRep:
    It will help us on our quest to become lawyers - the ability to weed out the essential question from the associated ramblings

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ethereal)
    It will help us on our quest to become lawyers - the ability to weed out the essential question from the associated ramblings

CLEO method, anyone? :p:

ReputationRep:
    lol

ReputationRep:
    You need to be intelligent, but not too intelligent - it makes the partners nervous and confuses the clients.

Joking aside, sheer academic brilliance isn't necessary. Rather, you need to be keen, diligent, hard-working, a good "team-player" (I hate that phrase), confident, bright (in all senses of the word), likeable and have bags of initiative.

If it was just about brains, I'd be in a cardboard box under Waterloo Bridge....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chalks)
    If it was just about brains, I'd be in a cardboard box under Waterloo Bridge....
    Or a box on a crane like David Blane :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deathscythe HG)
    Erm no offense though but how do you actually know that you are intelligent?
    Respect. You nailed him there. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Rather, you need to be keen, diligent, hard-working, a good "team-player" (I hate that phrase), confident, bright (in all senses of the word), likeable and have bags of initiative.

I agree. Iam a mature student (27). 5 years ago I was waiting tables full time when I decided to get my act together. I had very little in the way of GCSE's and A levels but Im now on for a 1st at the end of this year (OK its from a Poly) and I have a TC lined up with a small to medium sized local firm who are very kindly paying for my LPC.

My point? A levels are not the be all and end all, and they are most certainly not an accurate measure of intelligence. They just show you know how to pass exams. You need to research your firms carefully and ask yourself what is it I can bring to the table and then exploit that.

ReputationRep:
    Another underdog success story!! Nice one Ben!

ReputationRep:
    Cheers. Lovin' the Yorkshire rose btw. I always feel like a weight has been lifted when I pass the white rose on the M62.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john171)
    yeah i guess so...lol :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john171)
    yeah i guess so...lol :p:

Edited :Ah sorry...double post

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2006
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.