Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I know that Medicine at Ox has had centralised admissions for a few years, but in the back of the 2007 entry prospectus, by the side of the application statistics, it now says that the admissions process for Law is centralised as well. What does this mean to me as a potential 2007 Law applicant? I'm confused!

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Linds)
    What does this mean to me as a potential 2007 Law applicant? I'm confused!
    - Choose the college you like most, rather than one people might try & push you towards because the statistics make it look "easier" to get into Oxford - because application college will have no influence on your chance of receiving an offer from the university as a whole.

- Try not to set your heart on one particular college - because in order to centralise the admissions it seems highly possible more applicants are going to receive offers from a college other than the one they applied to.
    (Stats for how this has worked out for medicine are on their website.)

Are the applicant implications of centralisation in a nutshell, IMHO.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    - Choose the college you like most, rather than one people might try & push you towards because the statistics make it look "easier" to get into Oxford - because application college will have no influence on your chance of receiving an offer from the university as a whole.

- Try not to set your heart on one particular college - because in order to centralise the admissions it seems highly possible more applicants are going to receive offers from a college other than the one they applied to.
    (Stats for how this has worked out for medicine are on their website.)

Are the applicant implications of centralisation in a nutshell, IMHO.
    So basically, pick a college because you like it but make sure you don't like it too much!
    Maybe list all colleges in order of preference then pick number 10 or so to apply to? :p:

ReputationRep:
    Pick a college because you like it but keep your mind open about where you might end up. :p:

Well, choosing number X on your list has been suggested on here outside of the context of a centralised system, to increase chances of getting in!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    Pick a college because you like it but keep your mind open about where you might end up. :p:

Well, choosing number X on your list has been suggested on here outside of the context of a centralised system, to increase chances of getting in!
    Well, i did that, but not so much to play the numbers game; for me a big part of researching the colleges was accepting that the big shiny college i had my eye on (Balliol) was actually a bit too big and shiny for me....

ReputationRep:
    You researched the colleges more & changed your mind as to which you preferred or you still like Balliol the most but decided not to apply there for "strategic" purposes?
    First option makes sense & I imagine most people do (my mind wasn't made up until after visiting those on my shortlist & not definitely until after the open day) but the second option, that we were discussing, just doesn't to me.

Although, i'm one of those "insane" people, apparently. & if i'd listened to my 6th form oxbridge co-ordinator then i should have done the 2nd!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elles)
    You researched the colleges more & changed your mind as to which you preferred or you still like Balliol the most but decided not to apply there for "strategic" purposes?
    First option makes sense & I imagine most people do (my mind wasn't made up until after visiting those on my shortlist & not definitely until after the open day) but the second option, that we were discussing, just doesn't to me.

Although, i'm one of those "insane" people, apparently. & if i'd listened to my 6th form oxbridge co-ordinator then i should have done the 2nd!
    I agree entirely ... don't apply to a college because you think it's easy (or even easier) to get in! How many times have we said that on these boards though in the past?!

ReputationRep:
    The reason i originally had a look at Balliol was firstly because it was first in the Alt.Prospectus (i know, i'm shallow) and it seemed rather good at what it did. I ended up not picking it because it was too good at what it did; everything in it appeared to me to be for the benefit of the cameras/prospectus/future employers, and i thought i might want to apply to a college that didn't need a committie to figure out when to get pissed.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.