ZJ1990
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Hello all,

Now I know I'm only 15, and so I know I don't really need to worry just yet, but I'm eager to learn about the process for applying to uni...Is it similar to sixth form entry where you're offered a conditional place dependent on your performance in the summer exams? Or is there more to it...

Also, could someone please explain to me what it means when they have things like:

Durham: 88/100

In their signature...

Thanks guys
dismal_laundry
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Psychologically, there's more to it because there's more riding on it- what you are going to study for 3/4 years, money, career direction, physical location.

Most places are offered with a condition that you get a particular score, usually at A level or IB, and often they want a particular grade in a particular subject. You are allowed to apply to 6 places through UCAS (central applying system) (4 for medicine, dentistry, vet med, vet sci.) Then after all your offers are in, you pick two favorites, your first choice, "firm" and one you are also OK with, and which will accept lower grades/points, "insurance".

After your exams you go with the firm if you made it and the insurance if you didn't. There can be room for some negotiation at this point.

Use the web and read up on anything and everything you can, start with http://www.ucas.ac.uk and google all the places/courses you are interested in. Also, visit colleges/universities in the vacations/half terms etc.- you can find out a lot doing this. Go to higher ed fairs, too.

I don't know what Durham 88/100 means, email them and ask. They have offices/liaison people who deal with enquiries from prospective students.

Remember, "It will be all right on the night."
ZJ1990
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Woah, thanks for such an informative answer ... And yeah, I can appreciate that it must be, psychologically, quite a big step. I just hope that when it's my turn to apply to unis i'm able to find one that'll want me :P

Thanks again
Knogle
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Gee, I typed out a description of the application process some time ago. I'll dig it up and post back here (hopefully soon). :p:
Excalibur
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by ZJ1990)
Hello all,

Now I know I'm only 15, and so I know I don't really need to worry just yet, but I'm eager to learn about the process for applying to uni...Is it similar to sixth form entry where you're offered a conditional place dependent on your performance in the summer exams? Or is there more to it...

Also, could someone please explain to me what it means when they have things like:

Durham: 88/100

In their signature...

Thanks guys
I haven't seen anyone with 88/100 after a university like that before - maybe they're their UMS marks for their subjects?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (202)
53.44%
No (176)
46.56%

Watched Threads