Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How to revise AS Edexcel Music? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I am doing AS Edexcel Music, and have been trying to revise it. Currently, I only have limited info for the set works (our only teacher isn't great) and have been going through the score, annotating it, and recording notes onto my mp3 player. I don't know how much detail is needed though, as I have never attempted any exam questions for this paper. Also, I am finding it hard to revise the larger works (especially in music for large ensemble, I am also doing pop/jazz), any tips for this?

What about the rest? I heard that for the listening paper, the grade A boundary is really high, and I really want to get this. What can I do to improve my chances on this paper? I have no notes at all.

Thanks, and any help is really appreciated.

Nicki

ReputationRep:
    What are your set works?

ReputationRep:
    Has your school got Auralia? If so use that for the listening paper. Lots of practise - try notating bass parts and melodies when you listen to music and working out cadences without singing or using an instrument. Plus listen to loads of music - variety is the key - and read up on them - style, performance circumstances, date etc.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, we haven't got Auralia, we don't even have any computers in the music department.

Nat - I'm doing music for large ensemble, and pop and jazz, I'll name the specific ones later

ReputationRep:
    This book is helping me with the listening papers: http://www.musicroom.com/se/ID_No/096371/details.html

As for the set works, IMO the best book for those is the Rhinegold study guide. It's about £20 but it's definitely worth it if you're having problems with the set works.

ReputationRep:
    I have an orange book for Music, which I think is Rhinegold. It just doesn't seem very detailed.

ReputationRep:
    hey, im currently doing AS music with edexcel too. for set works large ensebles and small ensembles, weve got pretty good notes on these.
    for listening we havent done hardly any practice, and i really cant do it most of the time... well im just gonna hope i get a good day on the exam

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 13, 2006
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.