Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi its sammi again :P with yet another query. I was wondering seeing as my guidance counsler in my school dosen't know left from right i thought of asking you wise people here at TSR. I'm gonna graduate in may then take a year off and do some volunteer work in kenya but after that i wish to pursue futhur studies in america. So i'm ognna do my SAT's in the summer or something my question is will the school accept me based on my IB finals result or my SAT results and leter of recommendation and whatnot? I'm a bit confused on the rules so if someone could clarify them for me it would be much appreciated. As always thanks to everyone here you guys rock :tsr2:

p.s. Happy Easter

ReputationRep:
    It's best if you post on collegeconfidential.com - the US equivalent of TSR. They're the pros' as far as the US admissions system and universities are concerned.

ReputationRep:
    american unis mostly look for your SAT results. They will consider your IB final results, but not as much as the SAT. try to go to collegeboard.com, it'll probably help giving you some ideas. hope it helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knogle)
    It's best if you post on collegeconfidential.com - the US equivalent of TSR. They're the pros' as far as the US admissions system and universities are concerned.
    HAH!
    No way, collegeconfidential.com is full of overachievers and honestly it won't help you. Try scholarscript.com

ReputationRep:
    I'm a student and the US and will be attending Va Tech next year for Engineering. In the US you cannot hope for admission based upon one criterion. Instead, most colleges in the US look for a well-rounded student. IB scores and SAT's will certainly help, but you do need more. For instance, colleges will look at the difficulty of your schedule, your grades, standardized test scores, extracurricular activities, community service, etc. Basically, universities want to make sure you're just as good outside the classroom as you are in the classroom. For acceptance into a good university, make sure you have strong credentials in these categories and try to get some letters of recommendation to emphasize these points.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shady lane)
    HAH!
    No way, collegeconfidential.com is full of overachievers and honestly it won't help you. Try scholarscript.com
    I agree; collegeconfidential.com is full of OCD types who compulsively quote statistics...you have to look at a lot of postings to find much depth. It's the same as TSR but also very different...for example, on cc there are parents' forums, no rep system, etc.

ReputationRep:
    Ah okay, that's the only US board I've heard of. The only active one anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I definitely agree with jcdoughty06. I'm in the US too (a senior in high school). US colleges look for students with good grades and SAT's, but the good schools are so competitive that they look at a lot of stuff beyond those. They want students who took challenging high school programs (IB is great for that) and still did well academically AND extracurricurally. They like to see you involved in extracurricular or community activities (including community service). They also look at essays (required on most applications) and at recommendation letters.

Most US colleges allow accepted seniors to defer enrollment for a year. What this means is you would apply to college on the normal schedule, so you're accepted before you graduate high school, and then you defer for a year if you want to take that year off (like you do). It's kind of late for you to do that now, though, so I guess you'll just have to apply next year.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with you. I'm a HS senior in northern NJ- US colleges look for course selection, they like IB and AP because to be frank, ordinary HS courses can be completely mediocre on a good day. SAT I (reasoning tests) and SAT II (subject tests) are important also. They also like a spread of extra curriculars- yearbook, student government, volunteering in the community, athletics, summer internships, etc. Colleges essays are important, though with the common app you can cut down on these, although many of the elites have their own essays. Get the best recommendations you can too.

ReputationRep:
    HAH!
    I find it useful as it has active admissions staff from many universities such as MIT.

Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.