Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of studying philosophy at university but I'm not sure if I'm doing the right sort of A levels.

Fro my AS's I'm studying Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Music and History.

I worked out that the only subject I can drop next year is History, however this is my only essay subject (which is one of the reasons why I picked it) if I drop it will it hinder my chances of getting a place to study Philosophy at one of the top university's?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bebop)
    I'm thinking of studying philosophy at university but I'm not sure if I'm doing the right sort of A levels.

I worked out that the only subject I can drop next year is History, however this is my only essay subject (which is one of the reasons why I picked it) if I drop it will it hinder my chances of getting a place to study Philosophy at one of the top university's?
    why is history the only subject you can drop?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bebop)

Yes it would, you need your essay subject to A2 definitely.

Have you thought about a joint Maths and Philosophy course?

ReputationRep:
    Damn it sounds like I'm going to have to keep all of them on.

Basically the subjects I'm interested in stufying at uni are Music, Physics or Philosophy. I would like to go to the Royal College of Music if my playing is good enough, but I also need Music A level to get in. In the likely chance I'm rejected I would want to do physics but to do that I need Maths so I need them both at A2. This means the only subject I could drop would be history. Only recently I've become interested in Philosophy.

I only picked history (aside from hating English) because I though it was important to keep up my essay skills and incase anything like this happened. Ideally i would be nice to lessen the work load next year but it seems that won't happen.

My situation.

ReputationRep:
    Doing philosophy at uni involves a lot of reading... ideally unis will be looking for a applicant who can demonstrate an ability to reason well and think through problems but who can balance these skills with sound language techniques and a ability to review literature. two sciences and two humanities is usually considered the perfect combination for a philosophy student... so your doing alright! but def keep history to A2. if you were looking for a subject to drop next year it would be further maths.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.