Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

study study study watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    how do u guys commit urself to study? i mean, ib is not far off and i tried to make an effort to study but i just cant concentrate myself. i am still in the holiday mood... any suggestion of how to increase the concentration?

ReputationRep:
    I spend hours sitting in front of the computer and getting 10% of what I had planned to get done for that day... I'm no good help to give tips

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lipton)
    I spend hours sitting in front of the computer and getting 10% of what I had planned to get done for that day... I'm no good help to give tips
    Study........study helps learning and your revision.

I find it helps when you have set goals and deadlines for yourself to do 'a little bit at a time' even if when you start to study after your holiday break if it is only for a hour or so then build upon that. Once you see the positives in each study session you will hopefully come to the realisation that without it...*insert doomed music* your results will not what you can achieve.

Study as much as must if not all students despise it is a necessary evil in school success!

Committing myself to study is easy once you fail some important exams and realise if you neglect your study further you may fail the year. Basically you need to find your own reasons for studying and something to reward you at the end of a good studying session.

ReputationRep:
    write lists
    work either very early in the morning or very late at night (like I'm doing right now). Seriously all the distractions disappear (except TSR) and you will get loads done

ReputationRep:
    Heh - The night is a lovely time to work. It's so calm and peaceful!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pianist)
    write lists
    work either very early in the morning or very late at night (like I'm doing right now). Seriously all the distractions disappear (except TSR) and you will get loads done
    so true... yesterday I worked from 1h-4am and got five times more stuff done than the whole morning and afternoon.

ReputationRep:
    Do half an hour or an hour every day of the holiday. Much better than waking up and thinking 'oh **** I've set myself 10 hours of physics to do today, hmmmmmmmmm' and ending up with nothing at all.

ReputationRep:
    yeh thats what happened to me! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Yes. I fall into that trap too. I plan to dedicate my entire day to studying maths, and only end up stressing about it, and not actually doing anything.

Definitely start small, and work your way up when you get the confidence. But at this stage of the game, maybe a massive shock is what you need lol.

ReputationRep:
    my parents cut off cable and made threats on my cell phone in order to get me to study - sacrifice and then reward is the idea

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paupau)
    my parents cut off cable and made threats on my cell phone in order to get me to study - sacrifice and then reward is the idea
    Wow. That's scary! Is it working with you? What kind of threats tho?

If I didn't study my parents wouldn't say anything... I need to motivate myself.....They just keep saying: "it will all be over soon"..

ReputationRep:
    I just have problems getting started. Once I'm going and concentrating I'm fine...

ReputationRep:
    :eek: :eek: :eek: Now THAT is extreme!!! I don't think I could do that to myself; I'd go insane! My parents think that I'm old enough to do what I want to do; they won't complain if I watch tv during the weeks upto/during the exams, but if I end up with crap grades, at least I'd have no one to blame but myself.

ReputationRep:
    If my parents did that i would stright away fail cause i just do the opposite:p:
    At least it wouldnt work cause i also need self-motivation more than anything.
    Failing your self and it blaiming your parents is not the idea but the constent nagging will drive you crazy , untill you subconciously make the soul purpose of ur existence defy them.
    If my parents would stop nagging im sure my grades would go up substantialy.

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna die......why IB chem, physics and maths are so f******* difficult????I think i won't survive....

ReputationRep:
    I really do need self-motivation as well. Instead of studying now - I'm on TSR! It's just so annoying... I guess what you can do is set little goals in the beginning, then bigger later on. Reward yourself. Do a break every 1 1/2 hours for 5 minutes or something similar to that. I think that'll somehow help...

ReputationRep:
    i have difficulties to concentrate too.....
    my solution??my goal is to finish for the 1st may everything(and i mean everything) and just relax and brush up the rest and during the exam period....
    will i get it??of course not....

ReputationRep:
    good idea! should we do a bet? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeniev)
    good idea! should we do a bet? :p:
    Of course....tell me, tell me.....

ReputationRep:
    lol. I haven't even finished one single subject! So bad...

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to university
Uni match

Your perfect course is here

Let our match making tool match you up with your ideal uni

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.