Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Wireless trouble! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    This is wierd but......i'm using wireless and i'm connected to the internet, but the internet won't work (does that make sense?? )
    i'm rubbish at these kind of things.....so can someone pleeeeease help??
    and, on the "wireless network connection" list theres some other connection (but not mine) and i'm just using that at the moment....is that "safe"??

(Does that all make sense?!?)
    Thanx!

ReputationRep:
    1. Make sure you are connected to your one.

2. Make sure the wireless router or modem is connected to the internet (you can tell by the lights on it)

3. make sure all the cables are pluged in... including the ADSL filter on the telephone socket.

4. If not, make sure that all the internet settings are correct (look in your manual or google your make of router to find out how) You get your settings from your internet provider

If your still having trouble, send me over a pm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saf!)
    This is wierd but......i'm using wireless and i'm connected to the internet, but the internet won't work (does that make sense?? )
    i'm rubbish at these kind of things.....so can someone pleeeeease help??
    and, on the "wireless network connection" list theres some other connection (but not mine) and i'm just using that at the moment....is that "safe"??

(Does that all make sense?!?)
    Thanx!
    Does your wireless router have MAC filtering enabled? If so you will need to use a computer that can connect to it and put the MAC address of your wireless device into it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talon)
    Does your wireless router have MAC filtering enabled? If so you will need to use a computer that can connect to it and put the MAC address of your wireless device into it...
    erm.....i don't think it has....but it's been working for the past 3/4 months... only yesterday it decided to stop

ReputationRep:
    You'll probably find that mainstream consumer routers wont come with mac filtering enabled as default.

I know its a bit cliche, but have you tried turning it off and on again? :s

If you do manage to get it working, i'll recommend that you turn on encryption as there there are other networks about.

Normally there are 2... WEP and WPA... always go for WPA, much more secure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wolfgang)
    You'll probably find that mainstream consumer routers wont come with mac filtering enabled as default.

I know its a bit cliche, but have you tried turning it off and on again? :s

If you do manage to get it working, i'll recommend that you turn on encryption as there there are other networks about.

Normally there are 2... WEP and WPA... always go for WPA, much more secure.
    lol...thats the second thing i tried!

ReputationRep:
    Can you access your routers config page? If so then it is likely to be a a DNS error. If you tell me exactly what router you have I will tell you the exact settings you need.

If you can't access the config page then it could be the DHCP server is not working properly or the security has gone funny.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.