Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Information regarding standard grade exams. watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I'm sitting my standard grades next month. I would like to know ( From those who have sat standard grades before) at an average, what % Marks are usually Grade 1's (And 2's for that matter). I know there isnt a specific cut-off mark, but i would like to know, in general, what % one would normally need to get a Grade 1.

Thanks. Jar Man

ReputationRep:
    Well I did my standard grades last year. I think its something like 75% for a 1 and 60% for a 2. Ill have a look on the sqa site for you to try and get a more accurate answer.

ReputationRep:
    Oh my God! 75% For a One, that's an absolute joke! They really should make standard grades more challenging!

ReputationRep:
    I couldnt find anything more on their site, perhaps other people will know better. They should make them more challenging as the jump to higher in some cases is ridiculous(i.e. physics).

Mike

ReputationRep:
    http://news.scotsman.com/index.cfm?id=2132892005

Go into statistics on the SQA website and you will be able to find the pass marks

It seems around
    65-75% = 1

55-65% = 2

However it goes up and down dependending on overall performance of all those sitting.

An example of this is how it was around 50% to get a 1 in maths last year :eek:

I did all the past papers and get around 75% in 01-04 and 50% in 05 so for me it seems accurate although this was before i did any revision

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dj315)

However it goes up and down dependending on overall performance of all those sitting.

An example of this is how it was around 50% to get a 1 in maths last year :eek:
    When i found that out, i was like, should i really be sitting higher maths if i only got around 50% in the final exam :confused:

ReputationRep:
    The Exam was just much harder than normal, if you got a 1 you should definately sit the higher.

ReputationRep:
    yeah i know that now, i didnt then tho

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jar Man)
    Oh my God! 75% For a One, that's an absolute joke! They really should make standard grades more challenging!
    It is 70% for an A at Higher and First Class Honours at Uni.
    The pass mark doesn't show how hard it is - 70% is difficult to achieve.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i see what you mean, but i'm talking about standard grades, which are incredibly simple anyway!

ReputationRep:
    i did highers last year so those of u doing them this year should really check out the higher physics papaer 2005 - absolutely farsically simple - i had a race with 3 friends to see who could finish first - kinda of like general maths paper - we all did it in range of 7 mins 15 secs to 7 mins 32 secs - only that , unlike h phys was a premeditated competition

ReputationRep:
    Yeah the higher physics for 2005 was a complete joke, probably means we're in for a hard paper this year.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, and with the addition of the data book, I'm expecting a lot of "explain why..." style questions

edit: although, the pass mark may not be that high....considering last years physics paper only needed 65% for A band 2

ReputationRep:
    do they still do bands for A's and B's etc? Do they tell you on your certificate? I personally would not care a band 2 A is still an A.

ReputationRep:
    yes, they still have bands,

but as far as i know, the bands are not on your certificate, but the certificate is changing this year...info is being sent out to candidates in June about the layout and contents of the new certificate

ReputationRep:
    The bands didnt appear on the old certificate but your school do find out. Thats as far as im aware.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, thats right....i think

ReputationRep:
    thanks was just curious!

ReputationRep:
    Only the school know what band you got and they aren't actually obliged to tell you.

They have the breakdown of your exam paper, showing which units you did best in etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    this years AH maths promises to be a bad boy after last years' scoosh!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.