Jar Man
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Would cycloalkanes quickly decolourise bromine water? Surely, if they don't have a double bond they wouldn't..

PS. ( I ask this because, in an SQA exam, one of the MCQ answers was that cyclopropane quickly decolourises bromine water)

Surely it doesn't? Does it?
oxymoron
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Jar_Man)
Would cycloalkanes quickly decolourise bromine water? Surely, if they don't have a double bond they wouldn't..

PS. ( I ask this because, in an SQA exam, one of the MCQ answers was that cyclopropane quickly decolourises bromine water)

Surely it doesn't? Does it?
You are right about cycloalkanes, but cyclopropane is the exception to the rule. Because the bonds are so strained to keep it's cyclic nature with only three bonds (60 degree C-C bonds required when optimum is 109.5), it is actually very reactive and is succeptible to electrophilic attack by bromine to form 1,3-dibromopropane.
vinny221
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Ring strain in smaller carbon rings ie cyclepropane will include angle strain and eclipsing strain. Angle strain is expecially severe in this molecule as it's so small. Cyclopropane will undergo electrophilic addition reactions and BrCH2CH2CH2Br will result when Br2 is added.

So to answer your question, only lower members of this series such as cyclopropane and cyclobutane will decolourise Br2 due to bond strain.
Jar Man
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Thanks alot! I'd rep you both, but my rep isnt worth much!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How many uni open days have you been to/did you go to?

0 (60)
27.52%
1 (34)
15.6%
2 (38)
17.43%
3 (29)
13.3%
4 (16)
7.34%
5 (17)
7.8%