Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i got 2A* 2A's and 6B's at gcse im currently doing 4 AS predicted 3A In maths geog and economics and B In history. i did my C1 exams in january and got 100/100. howeva i got an A in my gcse maths. can i get into bristol mathematics and economics or LSE? i am an international student do i have more of a chance?

ReputationRep:
    Your GCSEs are on the weak side, but your 'A' level subjects are decent. It's really up in the air. What are your ECs like?

Regarding the international student part, you probably have an edge, but a very marginal one. To be honest I know of 3 people who applied for L101 at Economics this year (from Singapore), and all 3 were rejected despite having perfect grades and AEA awards.

ReputationRep:
    i organise a maths homework club in lower school, play as captain in my school basketball team, i do some volunteer work in my local credit union. is dat helpful i really wanna go to LSE or bristol should i take F MATHS? my school doesnt do it but my neighbour says she will teach me( she is a maths teacher with a first from bham) it will look like self study and hopefully i can get a B grade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by talentless)
    i got 2A* 2A's and 6B's at gcse im currently doing 4 AS predicted 3A In maths geog and economics and B In history. i did my C1 exams in january and got 100/100. howeva i got an A in my gcse maths. can i get into bristol mathematics and economics or LSE? i am an international student do i have more of a chance?
    If you write a good personal statement and have a good reference, I would say there is a very good chance you get an offer from Bristol (don't know about LSE). And yes, being an international student will heavily work in your favour.

ReputationRep:
    You ideally want to be predicted 4 As. You should see if you can pull some strings.

ReputationRep:
    ...should i take F MATHS?
    I think that you should definitely take at least a Further Maths AS, to compensate for weaker areas in your grade profile. Further Maths is well respected and it'll definitely be useful for university study. And because you take History, Geography and Economics (which apparently LSE say is fine for the "literary" subject criteria for Economics - rang them up yesterday), Further Maths will show you're highly numerate as well as literate, with 3 essay subjects. So, for Bristol, Further Maths AS would be good, but for LSE GL11, you should really be looking at A2 Further Maths, purely because of the fact that it's LSE and the nature of the course (half of it being solid maths).

Hope this helps,

Sen

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Sen on taking Further Maths (and scoring well in it) if you're serious about GL11 at LSE. Mathematics at uni level isn't a joke from what I hear.

ReputationRep:
    thanks a lot i was a bit unlucky cos i came late in yr 10 and dis whole coursework thing was different and completely new to me. my headteahcer is a very good friend of mine and has offered to put that in my reference for me will that help? i think i'll leave LSE out and apply to UCL one guy in my school got an offer with worse gcse's and 3A's and C at AS plus he is a UK student. but still thanks a lot.

ReputationRep:
    Your A in GCSE Maths will be quite a disadvantage. LSE are likely to reject you for that.

Your GCSE grades overall will put you in a difficult position at UCL, too. However, you have a greater chance there. Definitely take Further Maths AS if you can, but make sure you do well in it, and all your maths exams.

Finally, you need an AAAA prediction, because these days that's the bare minimum at most top unis for Economics.

ReputationRep:
    perhaps i should just forget it and apply for accounting and finance instead i reckon i have much more of a chance plus i did a one week work shadowing at JP morgan so dat will impress.

ReputationRep:
    perhaps i should just forget it and apply for accounting and finance instead i reckon i have much more of a chance plus i did a one week work shadowing at JP morgan so dat will impress.
    Be warned. Accouting and Finance at LSE, whilst the average quality of each applicant may be slightly less than those applying for L101 Economics, is still extremely competitve (more so than Economics with something like a 16:1 ratio). But I do think you'd have a better chance with that course (not trying to be rude) than with Economics, although nothing's stopping you from trying.

And with the work experience, it's not just about where you did it. It's about what you learnt from it. That's the crucial thing which LSE ask for. So make sure you include that in your personal statement. Don't just state that you did work experience at JP Morgan.

Hope this helps,

Sen

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 14, 2006
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.