mittens87
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
I'm answering a question from a past paper - "Assess sociological explanations of ethnic differences in educational achievement". (20 marks)

I've written my answer but don't know how to conclude because it's not a direct question so I don't quite know what I'm 'answering' i.e. concluding with? Can anyone help...
Chris.Livesey
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
In basic terms, pick the explanation that you think "explains the most" and briefly say why you think it's the most convincing.

Alternatively, if none of the explanations are particularly convincing then this is what you conclude (the trick is to always say why you've drawn a particular conclusion and you'll always get some marks for evaluation...).
love2learn
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I agree with the above, if you have a question that makes you assess different causes, the way to conclude is by saying which one os the most important. In your essay, you said have made a judgement after each point. For example, 'Although this goes some way towards explaining X, it does not take into acount the importance of Y. There are a few sentances you can use, so vary it a little!
ouijaouija
Badges: 0
Report 13 years ago
your answer to the question should be a structured argument detailing the basic perspectives and if you chose to, should have began to focus on a specific aspect, which you would conclude as important. Back it up with not only sociological ideas, but recent studies and articles, so get looking on the news websites etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Course Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 2 Feb '20
  • University of Bath
    Postgraduate Virtual Open Day 5 February 2020, 11:00-15:00 (UK time) Postgraduate
    Wed, 5 Feb '20

Why do you want to do a masters?

Great for my career (52)
35.14%
I really love the subject (41)
27.7%
I don't know what else to do (20)
13.51%
I can't get a job (8)
5.41%
My parents want me to (4)
2.7%
I don't know... I just do (23)
15.54%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise