Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I want to forward a domain name to another site. I am not sure which of the following options i should choose (first time ). I want my site name to read: mysite.co.uk/page1, mysite.co.uk/page2, mysite.co.uk/page3 etc etc. So i want the main name to be present when any page is selected and any other page to come after it.

Here are the options:

Framed web-forwarding to a single page
    If you select web-forwarding to a single page the destination URL can have a specific filename on the end (e.g. index.htm).
    It could just point to a directory (URL ends with /) in which case the files displayed would depend on the webserver 'directory index' settings.
    The destination URL will be replaced by edexcelbiology.co.uk.
    Non-framed web-forwarding to a single page
    This option is the same as above however the destination URL will always be displayed in the address bar of the browser.
    Framed web-forwarding
    The destination URL will be replaced by edexcelbiology.co.uk
    Non-framed web-forwarding
    The destination URL will remain in the browser's address bar.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Framed forwarding is a nightmare for search engines and accessbility.

Really you don't want to use any forwarding, you want to change the DNS on your domain name to work with your existing hosting rather than use fowarding which is just used by cowboy or low rent sites.

ReputationRep:
    how do i do that?

ReputationRep:
    It depends on your hosting company, you need to know the DNS settings to use on your domain, you also need to tell your hosting company what your domain is.

Once you have those settings you just put them in using the config page for your domain.

ReputationRep:
    what kind of problems would i get with web forwarding i.e. non framed?

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the DNS control panel, it looks confusing, lol!

ReputationRep:
    You need to know the nameserver of the host you want to foward it to.

If you're planning on using the hosting I gave you then PM me for the nameservers lol :p:

ReputationRep:
    hey thanks imster!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.