Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hello everyone. i am doin my as levels but and i got 4 a stars and 7 a's at gcse.

i am doin maths, economics, english language and ict. i mite do all 4 for as level, not sure yet.

anyway are my grades good enough to even apply for oxbridge (cos my mate who got worse grades and he is now at peter simmons, he got b's and he is applying for law). 2nd does anybody know a degree involving business i could apply there for, i heard the 'said' busienss school exists there or somethin? i dont want to do economics but instead prefer somethin easier like perhaps business studies.. can anyone please help.

i am thinking bout doing accounting and trying for lse. so as u can c my strategy is to try the less traditional degrees at the top unis.
    xx love u ppl & gd luck with ur exams (if u are not doin any exams, then what the hell are u doin here!!) haha

ReputationRep:
    hello everyone. i am doin my as levels but and i got 4 a stars and 7 a's at gcse.

i am doin maths, economics, english language and ict. i mite do all 4 for as level, not sure yet.

anyway are my grades good enough to even apply for oxbridge (cos my mate who got worse grades and he is now at peter simmons, he got b's and he is applying for law). 2nd does anybody know a degree involving business i could apply there for, i heard the 'said' busienss school exists there or somethin? i dont want to do economics but instead prefer somethin easier like perhaps business studies.. can anyone please help.

i am thinking bout doing accounting and trying for lse. so as u can c my strategy is to try the less traditional degrees at the top unis.
    xx love u ppl & gd luck with ur exams (if u are not doin any exams, then what the hell are u doin here!!) haha

ReputationRep:
    Your GCSE grades are fine - people with poorer GCSE results are doing great at Oxbridge now. Perhaps on the weaker side, but still nothing to be overly concerned about.

I think at undergrad level, the only way you can study at the Said Business School is if you do Management - and Oxford doesn't offer management as an individual course of study. You have to do it with courses like economics and/or engineering.

ReputationRep:
    hey mate d u think my as level subjects are a wise choice? i tried goin for core skills plus i bloody enjoy these subjects?

ReputationRep:
    For queries about GCSE grades, try this thread:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=128495

As for what courses there are, read the prospectus.

ReputationRep:
    Your GCSE grades are fine, absolutely nothing to worry about there.
    However, there are no undergraduate business courses - the closest you're going to get is probably Economics and Management (website about E&M admissions- http://www.admissions.ox.ac.uk/courses/ecma.shtml) at Oxford. It does look quite economics-heavy though. Anyway, I'm no expert, but there may be some E&M students around who can tell you a little more.
    Hope that helps you!!

ReputationRep:
    okay so basically i cant do anything like business studies there. does cambridge offer this course by any chance?

ReputationRep:
    At undergrad level? Not that I know of.

http://www.jbs.cam.ac.uk/

ReputationRep:
    what about lse? could i apply for 2 subjects there, accounting & finance

or businesss studies

Again, is business studies even taught at many of the top 10 unis?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bazyboi)
    what about lse? could i apply for 2 subjects there, accounting & finance

or businesss studies

Again, is business studies even taught at many of the top 10 unis?
    LSE doesn't have business studies - the closest thing there is pure Management.

I don't think BS is too popular a course amongst the top universities.

You can apply for as many courses as you want at LSE, although I wouldn't recommend you apply to more than 2, or 3 if you're really desperate.

ReputationRep:
    sweet. u guys really know how to help, my head of careers is a c***

management! does anybody do that? if so tlk to me please? is it rated by employers? i am a business orientated person def but would management involve any of this? hence why accounting & finance was my first choice to apply for at lse?

You will find all your answers in the prospectuses and on the websites of the universities.

ReputationRep:
    sweet. u guys really know how to help, my head of careers is a c***

management! does anybody do that? if so tlk to me please? is it rated by employers? i am a business orientated person def but would management involve any of this? hence why accounting & finance was my first choice to apply for at lse?
    It's one of LSE's flagship courses AFAIK. You'll get much better responses by posting on the LSE board.

Check up the course's programme structure and see if it fits your needs, or even interests you.

Management: http://www.lse.ac.uk/resources/under...ement/N203.htm
    Management Sciences: http://www.lse.ac.uk/resources/under...ences/N201.htm

Management has an applicantlace ratio of approximately 20:1! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    is management any good at oxbridge>

ReputationRep:
    If you want to ask questions about LSE, I would go the the LSE forum. I would say that pretty much everything is good at Oxbridge but I think E&M is very competitive and it doesn't really sound like what you want to do to be honest. It's certainly not business studies from what I understand...

ReputationRep:
    are there no businesy subjects at oxford?

ReputationRep:
    Well, management is fairly 'businessy', but you can only study as joint honours with economics, and E&M is a far cry from actual "business studies". There are a few people who study it on this forum, I'm sure one of them will post on this thread when they see it...

ReputationRep:
    are there no businesy subjects at oxford?
    Subjects you can study as an undergraduate (once you've done your A levels/equivalents) at Oxford are listed here in the online prospectus. & the links will take you to the subject pages & tell you more about the courses & admissions for them.

As Tom says - business-y ones = Economics & Management (with Engineering or Materials if you fancy) or Economics with History/Politics/Philosophy.

At a postgraduate level though (once you've got a BA or equivalent after 3 years at uni) then Oxford do lots of businessy courses!
    Economics - MPhil in Economics, MSc in Economics for Development, MSc in Financial Economics, Research degrees (MLitt and DPhil)
    Management Studies - MBA and EMBA Programmes, MFE Programme, MSc in Management Research.

& tis symonds with a 'y'. :p:

ReputationRep:
    They have a website in case you weren't aware.. it might be quicker and more accurate than posting on tsr.

ReputationRep:
    hey does anybody does economics and mangament. also does anybody do ecnometrics, i heard its supposed to be very useful if u know it and apply for a financey job..
    xo

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 15, 2006
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.