How are you preparing for the literacy and Numeracy tests for the pgce?

Watch
NannyD
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
do we have to take the tests first and then apply? why have they started this this year? or was it something people normally had to do later on in the course?
Shelly_x
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
People have always had to do QTS tests, but they haven't normally had to do them before starting the course.
You apply and the take the tests. You can book the tests for a time when you will have applied for the PGCE.
I'm using BBC Bitesize and some QTS books.
myrtille
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by NannyD)
do we have to take the tests first and then apply? why have they started this this year? or was it something people normally had to do later on in the course?
For people already on a course (ie: 2012-13), we have to pass them by the end of the year in order to be recommended for QTS.

If you're starting in September 2013, you need to pass before then. The government have decided to do this because they keep going on about tightening up standards and making teaching an elite profession (blatant lies when they've made it so academies can employ unqualified people to drive down costs and break up the profession - but that's another story!), and before people could resit as many times as they wanted. If it takes someone 20 attempts to pass a basic literacy test it is fairly worrying given that they'll be producing worksheets and presentations for pupils, writing on the board, etc.

There are practice tests available online, so you can have a go at them - that's what I'm doing to prepare for the test. The main thing is to know the format and know what to expect. If you can pass all the practice tests, you should be able to pass the real thing and avoid paying £20 for a resit.
mel0n
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I think the DofE website says that you need to do it before your PGCE starts and that it's obviously better to have your results before you go for an interview.
kpwxx
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by mel0n)
I think the DofE website says that you need to do it before your PGCE starts and that it's obviously better to have your results before you go for an interview.
I wouldn't worry too much about this- I mean of course do it if you think you're ready, or if you have a later interview, but your time will probably be better spent preparing for the interview if you haven't got ages. Plus the limit on resits means it's not a good idea to rush the test before you've fully prepared for it.

From what I've seen, many unis don't believe the QTS tests are that vital (as they are more skills for working rather than skills for teaching). And if they do they may well administer their own tests at interview anyway. If they need you to do it by a certain date they will tell you.

Though disclaimer, I haven't checked every uni so there may be some who need it soon! I just think it's unlikely that you'll be disadvantaged if you don't get the test done earlier, especially as it will presumably be much harder to get it booked this year as all applicants will be applying not just those already training.

xxx
mel0n
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by kpwxx)
I wouldn't worry too much about this- I mean of course do it if you think you're ready, or if you have a later interview, but your time will probably be better spent preparing for the interview if you haven't got ages. Plus the limit on resits means it's not a good idea to rush the test before you've fully prepared for it.

From what I've seen, many unis don't believe the QTS tests are that vital (as they are more skills for working rather than skills for teaching). And if they do they may well administer their own tests at interview anyway. If they need you to do it by a certain date they will tell you.

Though disclaimer, I haven't checked every uni so there may be some who need it soon! I just think it's unlikely that you'll be disadvantaged if you don't get the test done earlier, especially as it will presumably be much harder to get it booked this year as all applicants will be applying not just those already training.

xxx
Excellent, thanks
myrtille
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I've got another question about the Numeracy QTS test.

Are you allowed to do some working out on paper during the mental maths part? I can do the maths but there's no way I can remember all the information at that speed if I don't write it down. I just did practice test and got 11/12 on the mental maths bit by writing notes, but if I'd not been allowed to do that I'd've probably got 0!
nana_b90
Badges: 0
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Keziah)
I've got another question about the Numeracy QTS test.

Are you allowed to do some working out on paper during the mental maths part? I can do the maths but there's no way I can remember all the information at that speed if I don't write it down. I just did practice test and got 11/12 on the mental maths bit by writing notes, but if I'd not been allowed to do that I'd've probably got 0!
Think I read somewhere that they give you a white board and board pen to use for the mental maths part.
redwood_phoenix
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I was at an information evening at Reading a couple of weeks ago and they want applicants to already have passed the skills tests at interview.

I'm a bit concerned about the mental part - I think I've read that we can write down. I can pretty much do the maths, but I seem to be a bit slow! Seen some study guides on Amazon, so getting one of those, and if I need extra help, I'll try and ask people in the maths department at the school I work out.
kpwxx
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by redwood_phoenix)
I was at an information evening at Reading a couple of weeks ago and they want applicants to already have passed the skills tests at interview.

I'm a bit concerned about the mental part - I think I've read that we can write down. I can pretty much do the maths, but I seem to be a bit slow! Seen some study guides on Amazon, so getting one of those, and if I need extra help, I'll try and ask people in the maths department at the school I work out.

Hmm, perhaps I'm wrong then! It seems a bit much to expect all the applicants in the country to sit and pass them in the next couple of months!

I am good with maths, but also really don't like the mental part. For me it's more that I panic because I'm under pressure and that kind of thing! To try and train up I've been using a smartphone app which time tests you... I presume there are also online games that do the same thing. It just gets you used to having to do it quick and under pressure so it seems less of a big deal.

xxx
EWJ
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by kpwxx)
Hmm, perhaps I'm wrong then! It seems a bit much to expect all the applicants in the country to sit and pass them in the next couple of months!

I am good with maths, but also really don't like the mental part. For me it's more that I panic because I'm under pressure and that kind of thing! To try and train up I've been using a smartphone app which time tests you... I presume there are also online games that do the same thing. It just gets you used to having to do it quick and under pressure so it seems less of a big deal.

xxx

Hi,

What's the name of the app you are using to revise?

Thanks
kpwxx
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by EWJ)
Hi,

What's the name of the app you are using to revise?

Thanks
I used one called Times Tables by Lefto4 Software and Math Workout by Brain Training - both on android. The Math Workout one was especially good, as it introduced the 'pressure' of the timed element, so gave me practice!

xxx
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (711)
33.94%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (896)
42.77%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (395)
18.85%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.44%

Watched Threads