The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Mmmmmmm we do have a couple of Management and A&F applicants/students on the boards, so I'm sure you'll have some responses within 24h maximum. :biggrin:
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
hey buddy, well i got 7 a*'s (incl maths) 2a's, b, ,c
as0- maths a, physcis a , geog a , business b , got full marks in 4 modules
continued all 4 to a2.

predicted 4 a's.

I got put on short list. dont know whether that was coz i aplied well early, or coz i was borderline.

ii know sum people who got in with like 3 a*'s n less n 3 a's at as.

loadsa foreigners get in with like abb at as, even including blacklisted subjects, like accounting .
Reply 3

loadsa foreigners get in with like abb at as, even including blacklisted subjects, like accounting .

What? Where did you pull this fact from?
Reply 4
haha u looneys

i got 4 a stars and 7 a. will taht be good enoug to apply too? black man i luv u , hah u said there were loads of foreigners. haha evryone says that.

so is accounting a wise choice for a business orientated person like me. is it hard ppl? how could i better myself for the interview and personal statement!! what can i do. i done wrk experience! what else. help me to help myself
there is no interview.
Reply 6
what could i rite in my personal statement or what could i do in the time until then to improve myself for this particular financey course? any suggestions please xxx
Reply 7
bazyboi
what could i rite in my personal statement or what could i do in the time until then to improve myself for this particular financey course? any suggestions please xxx

talk about maths for sure. say u did some sort of work experience for an accounting firm- what u gained from doing that etc. if u got good GCSE's on top of that, ur in.
Reply 8
Accounting and Finance is -VERY- different from Business Studies.

Read up the course details in the undergrad prospectus, seriously.
Reply 9
d-black

I have to agree with this one. Well, I'm international and I got an offer of AAB from LSE for Acc and Finance with 10A*(including maths and additional maths) 2B, 4As at AS and predicted 4As (Maths. Econs, Literature and Accounting). Maybe in my case they regarded Accounting as a fourth subject. But my other friends got offers with similar GCSEs but different A-Levels with 2 or more blacklisted subjects, mostly with Maths, Economics, Accounting and/or Business Studies.

Maybe the international fees played a role? :p:
Reply 10
i agree there Are, but not that many. At the same time I know alot of pp with acc/busi (intl students) got rejected whereas their ums is top of top. excellent ps + reference (relatively) etc. the only thing they can blame on is blacklisted subjects really.
when you have 4 then it's much different to 3 with one blacklist. I myself have only 3 after as year (doing AS Geo this year) , but my offer is not competitive obviously so i m not sure. the reasons for my rejection in HRM may include my subject acc, but i think mainly because my ps lacks love for it :biggrin:
Reply 11
SO at present in AS i do maths, economics, english lang and ict.

d u guys think i should drop ict for a2 and just do these 3 traditional subjects or also stick with ict, - i mean its still important skills companies look for?

xo
Reply 12
blurboy
I have to agree with this one. Well, I'm international and I got an offer of AAB from LSE for Acc and Finance with 10A*(including maths and additional maths) 2B, 4As at AS and predicted 4As (Maths. Econs, Literature and Accounting). Maybe in my case they regarded Accounting as a fourth subject. But my other friends got offers with similar GCSEs but different A-Levels with 2 or more blacklisted subjects, mostly with Maths, Economics, Accounting and/or Business Studies.

Maybe the international fees played a role? :p:

Why do they blacklist subjects anyway ? Never understood :confused:
Reply 13
Because those subjects are generally "easy" compared to other 'A' level subjects?
Reply 14
Knogle
Because those subjects are generally "easy" compared to other 'A' level subjects?

Yeah I guess.
Reply 15
well i think it depends on yourself more than the subject really. what if i say acc and econs are very easy to get grade A, and Media/ Dance/critical thinking are difficult (Dance/Media for me??? noway!). there must be
never-ending arguments about this, rite?
somehow i dont understand the reasons with some particular blacklisted, maybe they're just not traditional, and British are conservative :biggrin:

bazyboi: what offer you got? i dont know- its your choice, but remember to ask them before you do anything as they gave you an offer based on 4, not 3. Besides, I doubt it if Alevel ICT can help you in any major way in your future career / your employers will rate it high as you think, really. Just do it because you like it then it makes sense, although 4 Alevel profile does look better than 3, i think. :P It may help you to have a better life with computers for sure. :biggrin: cheers
Reply 16
Knogle

But the level of toughness of a subject is relatively subjective. I personally think Accounting is much more of a mess than Literature! :redface: IMO, the main reason they blacklist subjects is because they want students with diversified subjects and avoid overlapping of subjects too. Normally, a student with Maths, History and Econs has broader knowledge outside the financial field than those with Econs, Acc and Business.

That's what I think though. :biggrin:
Reply 17
I think there's an element of unsuitability also. They just don't feel that doing Sports Studies A level will be appropriate for reading say, Economics. And plus, Sports Studies and Business Studies are all 'new age' subjects, made by the government, to encourage less able and less keen students to learn and motivate them to study.

Sen
Reply 18
so should i scrap ict for a2 and just stick wit 3 subjects? maths, eco,engl lang and ict doing at the moment

xo to all
Reply 19
bazyboi
so should i scrap ict for a2 and just stick wit 3 subjects? maths, eco,engl lang and ict doing at the moment

xo to all

Keeping it won't hurt at all (may be beneficial in the future), but it'd be better if substituted with something else.

Latest