Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

LLB European at Exeter or straight Law at Durham??? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,
    I have three offers; for straight Law at Durham, and for LLB European (with German Law) at Exeter and Warwick.
    I know Durham has a really good reputation and I believe I would really like going there. However, as I am an international student (I grew up in Germany but my mother comes from the UK, so my English is quite good), I think the European course might be a lot better for me in the end. If I went to either Warwick or Exeter they might tolerate possible language problems more than at Durham, as the course is more international and I have an advantage when it comes to the German part of it.
    Still, having been accepted by one of the top Law faculties is is something I am very, very happy about and I want to make the right decision.
    Does anyone know how many international students do Law at Durham?
    Any other aspects I should take into consideration (the course is most important to me, as I actually like all three universities very much)?
    Any advice is highly appreciated
    Thanks,
    Anika

ReputationRep:
    I personally think your choice should be between Warwick and Durham. Although Durham is probably considered to be slightly better than Warwick overall there really isn't a clear-cut superior between them. I would have thought that Durham would by sympathetic to any language concerns that you may have so I don't imagine that that should be a problem.

Do you have any sort of idea as to which sort of career you wish to pursue? I imagine that if you want to work in a big, international City firm then having language skills and a knowledge of German law will be a big advantage if you apply for work in certain areas. However, you can of course still work in a big City firm with just a straight law degree as there are many fields which require no knowledge of a language or the legal system of another country.

I personally would go to Durham out of the three. I don't feel that the German part of the course at Warwick is quite enough to make it stand out and in my opinion the university, the surrounding area and atmosphere is far nicer at Durham. Only problem is, you're a bit out of the way.

At the end of the day, you're going to get a great education at either Warwick or Durham (and Exeter for that matter) so only you can really make the decision.

ReputationRep:
    Durham.

Please trust me.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Lawz-

Go.to.Durham.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your advice. I don´t know what I want to do after I graduate, so I always wanted to have the opportunity to go back to Germany or do something international, also for employability reasons.
    However, I realise that Durham has a far better reputation than Exeter, which is probably what employers would prefer.
    Do you reckon they would prefer an average degree from a university like Durham to a good degree from a university, which hasn´t such a good reputation?
    The European course would be ideal for me because of my bilingual background, but after having thought about it a little more, I would say that I do prefer Durham as a university.
    How much would you let accommodation, climate etc. influence your choice?
    Thanks so much for your help
    I know most people find it difficult to decide and there exist a lot of these threads, but I can´t ask anyone I know about these things and I won´t be able to visit the universities before I have to decide either....

ReputationRep:
    The course at Durham isn't 'average' in any way. Yes, a year doing German law would suit you better, but in terms of employment you would be better off at Durham. Do they not give straight Law students the chance to go abroad anyway? I'd have thought you might get a chance to switch once you're there.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I didn´t say that Durham is average in any way. I just wanted to know if employers would still prefer an applicant from Durham, even if he didn´t have as good grades as an applicant from a university like Exeter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anika)
    Do you reckon they would prefer an average degree from a university like Durham to a good degree from a university, which hasn´t such a good reputation?
    Nobody can give an answer to that. A First from Exeter is going to be infinitely better than, say, a 2:2 from Durham or Warwick.

How much would you let accommodation, climate etc. influence your choice?
    Well, you're going to have to live there for three years so it's best to choose somewhere you like. If you can't decide between the courses themselves which seems to be the case then I would suggest that deciding on other factors is a good idea.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2006
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.