Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    For my prepared essay thingy, I have the question, 'how important were the parts played by lloyd george and winston churchill in putting 'new liberalism' into practice in the years 1906 - 1915?'
    i'm a bit stuck as to how to set it out.. i don't want to keep listing all the different reforms they did because it seems like i'm just regurjitating information. can anyone give me any advice on that? also, you know in essays, you're usually meant to give a balanced view - offer different arguments etc. what other argument can i offer here? because pretty much everything i've read on this topic states that yes, they were both new liberals who were pretty much responsible for putting welfare legislation into place. arrrgh! can anyone help? i've been spending all day trying to do this stupid question but my essay's so rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    you're doing the AS course essay as well?lol. i found this question really hard to do and i only have about 2 weeks left to work on both the course essay questions and i havent even started this question,
    i was going to explain what reforms lloyd gerorge helped introduce and describe what effect they had/whethere they were poular and then do the same for churchill and after explain briefly that other people had a role in bringing New Liberalism into power and then in the conclusion something along the lines of summing up who had a bigger role in the introduction of new liberalism
    i hope that makes sense,lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yapster)
    For my prepared essay thingy, I have the question, 'how important were the parts played by lloyd george and winston churchill in putting 'new liberalism' into practice in the years 1906 - 1915?'
    i'm a bit stuck as to how to set it out.. i don't want to keep listing all the different reforms they did because it seems like i'm just regurjitating information. can anyone give me any advice on that? also, you know in essays, you're usually meant to give a balanced view - offer different arguments etc. what other argument can i offer here? because pretty much everything i've read on this topic states that yes, they were both new liberals who were pretty much responsible for putting welfare legislation into place. arrrgh! can anyone help? i've been spending all day trying to do this stupid question but my essay's so rubbish.
    Ouch that question is awful!
    To construct a balanced answer, you will have to write about the laws/methods/ways in which Winston C. & Lloyd G. helped to put "New Liberalism" into action. However, then you will need to write about other people/factors which helped to and come to a conclusion!

It would not be balanced, for eg. if all you wrote about were LG and WC and did not refer to other factors.

If I were you I would start off by saying something like:
    Both LG and WC helped to bring about "New Liberalism" xyz etc however, other factors were equally important in helping to create an era of New Liberalism...

& then write about what LG & WC did..
    & then write about what other people xyz did.
    & then conclude with your own judgements.

Do not be afraid of mentioning acts all the time, this is one or possibly the only way we can see how both helped. It shows their ideas were used & thus how this helped to create New Liberalism. You will only get penalised if you JUST refer to their laws when in fact, there were other things that helped to create New Liberalism

PS, i'll get back to you when I dig my notes out

ReputationRep:
    ^ thank you so much for all your help. i've sat literally for about 7 hours trying to do this damned essay and the final result is totally incomprehensible and unanalytical. i'd really appreciate your notes if you can dig them out - thanks again!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 13, 2006
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.