Melz0r
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
THIS IS THE NEW CAMBRIDGE CHAT THREAD.

ITS NAME IS PROVISIONAL.

LET'S TALK ABOUT IT.

Note: this thread is for current and former Cambridge students. If you're an applicant, this thread is not the most helpful place for you to post. You will get much more joy in the grades thread (it has a funky flowchart and everything).
Melz0r
Rep:
?
So, er, hi everyone.
smilepea
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I approve greatly of this title
Melz0r
Rep:
?
(Original post by smilepea)
I approve greatly of this title
Yay Credit to Slumpy.

I've just been invited to go back to my YA university in France to present some work I did in a seminar at a conference! I can't go because it's in 2 weeks and I can't go on a random trip to France in the middle of term, but
ukdragon37
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
:lurk:
scarlet ibis
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by ukdragon37)
:lurk:

Also lurking. Posting to subscribe. Like the title
jjarvis
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hello all!
Zoedotdot
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Melz0r)
Yay Credit to Slumpy.

I've just been invited to go back to my YA university in France to present some work I did in a seminar at a conference! I can't go because it's in 2 weeks and I can't go on a random trip to France in the middle of term, but
Pssht yes you can, that's a really big deal and good for postgrad applications. You wouldn't miss that much of term. Talk to the DoSman and see what he says, he might just tell you to go for it. Don't write it off!
Craghyrax
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Mel you have to go! Its a fantastic opportunity, and its only France so the travel won't take that much out of term. Just get permission to bump a bit of supervision work to Christmas.
(Original post by Slumpy)
I've always found the phrase 'alma mater' rather unnecessarily pretentious. I tend to go with 'university'.
:ditto: I cringe whenever anybody says it. It also sounds really American for some reason.
(Original post by Slumpy)
Starter for Ten.
Yay!
(Original post by ratio)
:hello:

Newbie here.
:hello: Welcome to the thread
smilepea
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think the most annoying person I've ever met is doing astro this year...
Topaz_eyes
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think the most annoying person I've ever met is doing astro this year...

Initials IB? Yep, all the physicists in my year will attest to that!

Also, RE the conversation from the last thread - http://cambridgetab.co.uk/debate/why...an-be-feminist
smilepea
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Topaz_eyes)
I just, it's beyond me how he can think he can do what he does. We got an email from him today telling us to be early to GR. I already have no time for him. AHHHHHHHHH.
Topaz_eyes
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I just, it's beyond me how he can think he can do what he does. We got an email from him today telling us to be early to GR. I already have no time for him. AHHHHHHHHH.
Try being told to only attempt 4 questions in your paper (that advises doing 6) because "If you answer them perfectly you'll get a first!"

I breathed a sigh of relief when I saw he was doing Astro Looks like people are arguing back this year, though...
Melz0r
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zoedotdot)
Pssht yes you can, that's a really big deal and good for postgrad applications. You wouldn't miss that much of term. Talk to the DoSman and see what he says, he might just tell you to go for it. Don't write it off!
(Original post by Craghyrax)
Mel you have to go! Its a fantastic opportunity, and its only France so the travel won't take that much out of term. Just get permission to bump a bit of supervision work to Christmas.
So I mentioned it to my 4th year diss supervisor (who also supervised me for my YA diss and in second year) and she was all like YOU HAVE TO DO THIS. And so has everyone I've mentioned it to today. So the DoS has been emailed! Fingers crossed.
Zoedotdot
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
So I mentioned it to my 4th year diss supervisor (who also supervised me for my YA diss and in second year) and she was all like YOU HAVE TO DO THIS. And so has everyone I've mentioned it to today. So the DoS has been emailed! Fingers crossed.
I think he would probably sail you out there himself on a raft made of his own bookshelves :p: So I doubt you need to worry about permission.
smilepea
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Try being told to only attempt 4 questions in your paper (that advises doing 6) because "If you answer them perfectly you'll get a first!"

I breathed a sigh of relief when I saw he was doing Astro Looks like people are arguing back this year, though...
Yeah I heard about that one, and I have no words to describe how appalled I am by it. As far as I can tell he's just a ****er.

Yes, he's been told to "leave us alone" but I don't think that'll have much effect as he seems to have set up a mailing list for part II astros (it's definitely not a department thing as there wasn't one two years ago...)
smilepea
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by melz0r)
so i mentioned it to my 4th year diss supervisor (who also supervised me for my ya diss and in second year) and she was all like you have to do this. And so has everyone i've mentioned it to today. So the dos has been emailed! Fingers crossed.
prsom. Yay!!!
Craghyrax
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Yeah I heard about that one, and I have no words to describe how appalled I am by it. As far as I can tell he's just a ****er.

Yes, he's been told to "leave us alone" but I don't think that'll have much effect as he seems to have set up a mailing list for part II astros (it's definitely not a department thing as there wasn't one two years ago...)
Can't you guys band together and all set up filters to block emails from him?

So are you finishing your degree now?

I'm glad to hear you're being sensible.
ukebert
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Sounds awesome Mel
ukdragon37
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If it's worth anything, my PhD applications sixth-sense tells me if I had this opportunity I would not hesitate to go even if it was in exam term.

Also, RE the conversation from the last thread - http://cambridgetab.co.uk/debate/why...an-be-feminist
I think I managed to figure out who it is :beard:
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (161)
18.48%
No (529)
60.73%
Not really bothered about them (181)
20.78%

Watched Threads