The Cambridge Chat Thread's Starter for Ten - 'No, you lose five points!'

Watch
Tortious
Badges: 16
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Akkuz)
Not sure off the top of my head but its £4-£5 cheaper (think its circa £24, whereas R&A is circa £29 for the ones with badges). Rather expensive for a scarf if you ask me! Although the Selwyn scarf is gryfondor (sp) colours which is uber cool.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've just noticed they've discontinued the combined scarves. :emo:

In fairness, if you check the small print, AEC charges an extra £4 for the badge anyway. It's entirely up to you though - the Pembroke scarf's navy looks a bit more "purple" from AEC, but I've never seen their scarves up close to know how the quality of the material differs. The main difference seems to be that R&A's are made of wool, whereas AEC's look to be made of felt!
Craghyrax
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Tortious)
I never wore mine, because the clash of so many colours in one scarf made it practically unwearable I ended up selling it for a tenner to a fresher, and buying a new plain college scarf instead.
Perhaps that's why they're discontinued.
Zoedotdot
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

In fairness, if you check the small print, AEC charges an extra £4 for the badge anyway. It's entirely up to you though - the Pembroke scarf's navy looks a bit more "purple" from AEC, but I've never seen their scarves up close to know how the quality of the material differs. The main difference seems to be that R&A's are made of wool, whereas AEC's look to be made of felt!
The R&A scarves feel so much nicer than the AEC ones. They're a lot softer and definitely more wearable, plus the embroidered crest is a nice touch. And I think the colours are slightly different as well! I let friends buy one from each place before I bought mine and then went with R&A because the quality was definitely worth the extra few quid.
Tortious
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Craghyrax)
I never wore mine, because the clash of so many colours in one scarf made it practically unwearable I ended up selling it for a tenner to a fresher, and buying a new plain college scarf instead.
Perhaps that's why they're discontinued.
They're not actually discontinued; I just can't navigate their site. :facepalm2: I'd have thought Peterhouse would've been one of the better ones - at least it's all blue (with a bit of white)!

(Original post by Zoedotdot)
The R&A scarves feel so much nicer than the AEC ones. They're a lot softer and definitely more wearable, plus the embroidered crest is a nice touch. And I think the colours are slightly different as well! I let friends buy one from each place before I bought mine and then went with R&A because the quality was definitely worth the extra few quid.
Mmm, I prefer the R&A ones but didn't want to seem like a snob. :p:
Craghyrax
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
They're not actually discontinued; I just can't navigate their site. :facepalm2: I'd have thought Peterhouse would've been one of the better ones - at least it's all blue (with a bit of white)!
I think it makes it worse because its less obvious that its two different things. All you get is this cacophonous attack of blue!

I agree R&A scarves are better quality, however I wonder if I wouldn't find the felt sort more comfortable. The woolen ones are too warm, and kind of scratchy. And a bit too thick so they don't bend and wrap well.
jjarvis
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think it makes it worse because its less obvious that its two different things. All you get is this cacophonous attack of blue!

I agree R&A scarves are better quality, however I wonder if I wouldn't find the felt sort more comfortable. The woolen ones are too warm, and kind of scratchy. And a bit too thick so they don't bend and wrap well.
The AEC ones are pretty thick--two layers of new wool (they are wool, not felt). Would have the same problem with the double-sided scarves with Hughes, whose colours are two shades of blue and a white stripe.
Craghyrax
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jjarvis)
The AEC ones are pretty thick--two layers of new wool (they are wool, not felt). Would have the same problem with the double-sided scarves with Hughes, whose colours are two shades of blue and a white stripe.
I was just going on what the others said :dontknow: I've only ever experienced scarves from R&A, so I was imagining the others might be more practical based on the description in this thread.
jjarvis
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I was just going on what the others said :dontknow: I've only ever experienced scarves from R&A, so I was imagining the others might be more practical based on the description in this thread.
I'm quite keen on my scarf--though have mixed feelings about wearing it round London now I'm no longer a current student. But it is thick! (And was mostly agreeing with you on the colours--the double sided ones from Hughes clash pretty badly.)
camaieu
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
R&A scarves are so scratchy. Argh.
Tortious
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Catherine.)
R&A scarves are so scratchy. Argh.
Spoiler:
Show
They "break in" nicely once you've gotten them warm and sweaty enough. :p:
smilepea
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by lp386)
In other news, I have an astrophysicist friend
I'm pretty sure I know who she is

That's such good news Cragy!! YAY!

I have freshers' flu, I spend all of the afternoon asleep
Craghyrax
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jjarvis)
I'm quite keen on my scarf--though have mixed feelings about wearing it round London now I'm no longer a current student. But it is thick! (And was mostly agreeing with you on the colours--the double sided ones from Hughes clash pretty badly.)
Yeh I rarely muster up the courage to wear it outside of Cambridge. I already feel stigmatised enough at UEA.
(Original post by smilepea)
Cheers smilepea!
lp386
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I just heard that my hubby landed a fully funded PhD place on a programme that fits him like a glove. We are over the moon right now, especially as we just came to the second year of him applying for PhDs and being shortlisted for funding twice but narrowly missing it. It was looking like he'd have to try and self fund, which would have put us in a very tight place financially. So this is just amazing. And best of all, its at a University close enough to Norwich that we can live somewhere in between and easily commute to both our Unis. At this stage its looking like we'll move to Ely or Cambridge :awesome:
Congratulations! This is very exciting - and it sounds like it's come at just the right time too.

(Original post by smilepea)
I'm pretty sure I know who she is

I have freshers' flu, I spend all of the afternoon asleep
Simply guessing gender and college is enough to get you there, I think. Perhaps don't mention that I said anything, because she will get freaked out... (actually, she's probably lurking here. YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE. COME BACK TO THE DARK SIDE.)

I'm wobbling on the precipice of freshers flu as well... perhaps just freshers' snuffles, hopefully.

I think the one that irritates me is that outfitter on Trinity street that likes to print college names, US style onto hoodies, but does it incorrectly (e.g. 'Trinity Hall College', 'Peterhouse College')
[/RAGE]
Possibly something to do with the proportion of people who actually buy those jumpers and know about college naming conventions. Or colleges.

(Original post by ratio)
Thanks so much for the suggestions. We did the walking route you suggested, stopped by a few colleges, ate at the Cambridge Chop House and then checked out the Eagle because it was literally next door. The Chop House has the best roast she's had in England so far - the steak was cooked really well (and by that I actually mean not very cooked, which is perfect) and the gravy was very good.

Also, may have convinced her to apply here for her next degree.
Roast dinner... excuse me while I drool.

I was very impressed with the one at Spoons a few weeks ago, perhaps more than I should have been...

(Original post by Melz0r)
QFA
Is there a plan/date for the meet yet? If not, is it possible to submit suggestions that don't involve me standing on a not-very-big platform above freezing water while attempting to not sink a boat (I have been punting exactly once... and the experience nearly scarred me for life. Though I did not fall in, thank goodness). Can we do a Cambridge hot chocolate trail? Any excuse...
Zhen Lin
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think the one that irritates me is that outfitter on Trinity street that likes to print college names, US style onto hoodies, but does it incorrectly (e.g. 'Trinity Hall College', 'Peterhouse College')
[/RAGE]
Clearly for tourists.

Yeh I rarely muster up the courage to wear it outside of Cambridge. I already feel stigmatised enough at UEA.
The black and white scarf is quite nondescript though.
Melz0r
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
So... looks like I'm off on a flying visit to France! Thanks so much to everyone who prodded me into doing it! And my DoS is going to pay for it!
lp386
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Zhen Lin)
Clearly for tourists.

The black and white scarf is quite nondescript though.

Cheers smilepea!
My college colours are pink and purple. This may have something to do with the reasons I haven't yet bought a college scarf (also it's so aggressively Cambridge-y as a piece of stash that I'm not sure I could quite stand it).

So... looks like I'm off on a flying visit to France! Thanks so much to everyone who prodded me into doing it! And my DoS is going to pay for it!
Yay! And double yay! It can't be worse than the person in my year who disappeared to Portugal for the first two weeks of a term (I forget which) last year...
ukdragon37
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
The university in France invited you for a talk and they aren't even going to pay for it? :lolwut:
ratio
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by lp386)
Roast dinner... excuse me while I drool.

I was very impressed with the one at Spoons a few weeks ago, perhaps more than I should have been...

Can we do a Cambridge hot chocolate trail? Any excuse...
Ha, well you should visit the Chop House on a Sunday. The roast is also cheaper than most things on the actual menu.

In other news, I saw the Cambridge guy from the "Young, Bright and on the Right" show as I was leaving a lecture today. Multiple contradicting feelings ensued...
lp386
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ratio)
Ha, well you should visit the Chop House on a Sunday. The roast is also cheaper than most things on the actual menu.

In other news, I saw the Cambridge guy from the "Young, Bright and on the Right" show as I was leaving a lecture today. Multiple contradicting feelings ensued...
I saw him with friends, obviously a little inebriated, at about 11.30pm today.

Spoiler:
Show
I know him, though I try not to talk about that too much in public threads because it narrows down my identity rather...

What were your contradicting feelings?

I just looked at the Chop House menu, and I am reminded why when the economists went and sat down in the Cambridge Chop House as we were going for our end of term meal, I immediately stood up, said "I'm not ****ing paying that" and insisted we leave. We ended up getting pizza
Akkuz
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I managed to nab a spork from St. Cats. last night :mmm:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get the SQA results you wanted today?

Yes- I did even better than I hoped! (6)
15.79%
Yes- I got what I was hoping for (11)
28.95%
No- my results weren't as good as I'd hoped (21)
55.26%

Watched Threads