The Student Room Group

The Cambridge Chat Thread's Starter for Ten - 'No, you lose five points!'

Scroll to see replies

:lol:
Has anyone else entitled to the cambridge bursary been paid it through the student loans company yet?

I received my government loan/grant, but have not been paid the cambridge bursary (though i should be entitled to it as i received the full govt grant).

When can I expect it to arrive or is there something possibly wrong with my application?
Original post by Rhetorical Hips
:lol:

Hey, how are you doing so far? Hope you're enjoying THE Cambridge! :biggrin:

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1703
Original post by FanaticEV
Has anyone else entitled to the cambridge bursary been paid it through the student loans company yet?

I received my government loan/grant, but have not been paid the cambridge bursary (though i should be entitled to it as i received the full govt grant).

When can I expect it to arrive or is there something possibly wrong with my application?

Have you got a letter from your college? Mine said that bursary payments are being made in the fourth week of term (around 28 October), so there's some time yet. If you're entitled to it, you'll get it. :smile:
Graduated this June. Missing being a Cambridge student terribly already!
Original post by vincrows
Hey, how are you doing so far? Hope you're enjoying THE Cambridge! :biggrin:

Spoiler

Very good thanks! They work us hard here :smile:

Ah I had signed up but I backed out at the last minute (regretting it now!), so I can't really comment on whether the newspaper reports are accurate. However I think it's worth noting that what happened was not some 'initiation ritual' in that you had to sign up for it (with limited places), and you could indicate that you didn't want alcoholic drinks. It's not like all the freshers were marched out to a field against our will and forced to drink or else we'd become outcasts, as the tabloid press would have you believe (the pictures they used were not even of the event for goodness sake).

It's a shame that its ended this way, because it's just going to propagate the stereotype people have of Oxbridge, and make those bigoted against it even more so. Just have a glance of the Daily Mail comments - they think we're all drunken louts who only got in because of nepotism and that we'll all end up as investment bankers!

That said, I'm proud of the fact we made national news (and even The Andrew Marr show!) on our first week here :lol:
(edited 8 years ago)
It's a shame that its ended this way, because it's just going to propagate the stereotype people have of Oxbridge, and make those bigoted against it even more so. Just have a glance of the Daily Mail comments - they think we're all drunken louts who only got in because of nepotism and that we'll all end up as investment bankers!

Don't worry - it's the same every year. :yep: Once you've been around for a few May Weeks you'll see the same stories pop up in the tabloids; it's pretty much a copy and paste job - I wouldn't be surprised if they even used the same photos sometimes. :h:
Original post by BWCW
Have you got a letter from your college? Mine said that bursary payments are being made in the fourth week of term (around 28 October), so there's some time yet. If you're entitled to it, you'll get it. :smile:

I haven't received a letter from my college. I received the full government bursary, so I assumed I would get it as well. However, it doesn't show up on my Student Finance list of expected payments, while my govtment maintenance grant does. Is this the case for you also?
Original post by alex_hk90
Don't worry - it's the same every year. :yep: Once you've been around for a few May Weeks you'll see the same stories pop up in the tabloids; it's pretty much a copy and paste job - I wouldn't be surprised if they even used the same photos sometimes. :h:

Not only those stories themselves.
Journalist/photographer of daily mail are the regulars at Suicide Sunday. Nobody else takes part in it as diligently as they do, year after year after year...:tongue:
Very good thanks! They work us hard here :smile:

Ah I had signed up but I backed out at the last minute (regretting it now!), so I can't really comment on whether the newspaper reports are accurate. However I think it's worth noting that what happened was not some 'initiation ritual' in that you had to sign up for it (with limited places), and you could indicate that you didn't want alcoholic drinks. It's not like all the freshers were marched out to a field against our will and forced to drink or else we'd become outcasts, as the tabloid press would have you believe (the pictures they used were not even of the event for goodness sake).

That said, I'm proud of the fact we made national news (and even The Andrew Marr show!) on our first week here :lol:

Andrew Marr was at Tit Hall. He might've presented it in a different way if it were his own college. :tongue:

Great to see you enjoying the new life at Cambridge with high spirit. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by FanaticEV

Its paid by colleges not by the SLC, and colleges vary in how they pay it. For instance some might do it at the end of term, some at the start. Some basically cancel out your college bill with the bursary so that you don't receive any money but don't have to pay any either (assuming the sums line up). You need to speak to your college tutor about this :smile:
Original post by Onee-chan
Graduated this June. Missing being a Cambridge student terribly already!
Four years on and I still do too :frown:

FML :facepalm2:
Original post by vincrows
Not only those stories themselves.
Journalist/photographer of daily mail are the regulars at Suicide Sunday. Nobody else takes part in it as diligently as they do, year after year after year...:tongue:

:rofl:

I saw this article in TCS (somehow I never got round to unliking their facebook page after leaving Cam). I couldn't help bursting out laughing at the last lines which mentioned a fresher vomiting on and then spanking a porter :pinch: Even though at the same time it could indicate horribly disrespectful (I mean disrespecting of humanity not of authority) attitudes towards college staff :s-smilie:

Also the Master's reaction was quite naive but I couldn't help cheering for evidence of an altruistic, left wing soul in the position :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
:lurk:

Not sure if this is the most current thread but it's all I could find :redface:

Could some of you (filthy) Tabs help current and prospective applicants by joining in the convo here? :smile:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4363078

I feel dirty posting in here now so I'm gonna go :lurk:

:tongue:

Spoiler

Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
:lurk:

Not sure if this is the most current thread but it's all I could find :redface:

Could some of you (filthy) Tabs help current and prospective applicants by joining in the convo here? :smile:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4363078

I feel dirty posting in here now so I'm gonna go :lurk:

:tongue:

Spoiler

Hmm, I think I might feel a bit dirty posting in an applicants' thread giving that this was about 8 years ago for me... :tongue:
Hmm, I think I might feel a bit dirty posting in an applicants' thread giving that this was about 8 years ago for me... :tongue:

I applied 10 years to The Dark Blue Place :eek: :sadnod: :shakecane:

And 12 years for me!

****in' hell.

FWIW I'm now at The Dark Side...
Original post by visesh

FWIW I'm now at The Dark Side...

:colone: :awesome: :dance:

:ninja:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1717
Heh, this thread used to be a little more busy, like, 8 years ago :h:
Original post by Y__
Heh, this thread used to be a little more busy, like, 8 years ago :h:

Yes; yes it did. :h:

Hope everyone is having a great Christmas/New Year break! :yep: :biggrin:
Reply 1719
Yes; yes it did. :h:

Hope everyone is having a great Christmas/New Year break! :yep: :biggrin:

Thanks! You too, hopefully?

I had a bit of a flash of nostalgia today and randomly clicked through the old CamChat threads... can't believe it's been so long already. Also, I randomly met a CamChatter at the airport last year :h: , and I think I still have 3 or 4 of you on facebook.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending