Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Best jobs during gap year watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Where is a good place/field of work during your gap year? Where can you make the best money etc!? Thanks guys!

ReputationRep:
    Agencies are always a best bet, or clerical work. Even more boring are super markets because although the pay is lousy you can get quite a lot doing over time. There is a thread that lists all the best job sites. I think Reed agency are meant to be good.

ReputationRep:
    I worked for John Lewis for 5 months and made about £7000 so definitely lots of money to be made from xmas temping in stores the overtimes good the pay varies but it's normally above minimum wage and best of all it requires no previous experience most of the time. Start applying round september. Otherwise you can find some clerical or waiting tables or something during the summer

ReputationRep:
    :eek: I live near a John Lewis *runs over there to get a summer job temping* :vroam:

ReputationRep:
    I worked half my gap year in a cafe and the other half at morrisons and yes i made a lot of money...............but i spent most of it lol

ReputationRep:
    Anything in a ski resort - pay's pretty horrendous, but some things are more important than money... like skiing every day!

ReputationRep:
    I swear by waiting tables, if you work at a decent restaurant you can get £40-50 tips a night and if you get on with the rest of the staff it can be a real laugh, and shifts go really quickly too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beelzebub)
    I swear by waiting tables, if you work at a decent restaurant you can get £40-50 tips a night and if you get on with the rest of the staff it can be a real laugh, and shifts go really quickly too.
    I agree.
    I make double my wages in tips, and I genuinely like and get on with practically all the staff there, we have a great time
    Plus you can be flexible with your hours as you can work daytime or evening shifts.

Whatever you do, choose something you can enjoy to some degree There's nothing worse than doing a job you hate and counting the hours down til home time - having a gap year gives you an opportunity to have some fun in a job that isn't necessarily going to have anything to do with your actual career. So have fun

ReputationRep:
    I would definitely recommend going through a temp agency- they are required by law to pay you holiday pay- which increases as you earn more. For instance, if you would usually earn £6.00 an hour doing admin work then a temp agency would pay you £6.50- and believe me, that adds up!! You just need to sign up to as many as possible and keep bugging them all the time for work. Definitely the best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosieposy87)
    I would definitely recommend going through a temp agency- they are required by law to pay you holiday pay- which increases as you earn more. For instance, if you would usually earn £6.00 an hour doing admin work then a temp agency would pay you £6.50- and believe me, that adds up!! You just need to sign up to as many as possible and keep bugging them all the time for work. Definitely the best.
    www.deloitte.co.uk/scholars

ReputationRep:
    ^^ Bit too late for a gap year commencing this September.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by siddyboy)
    www.deloitte.co.uk/scholars
    to be bored out your mind? yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosieposy87)
    im sorry, what?! im confused! i have to work 40 hours a week just to earn 3 hours holiday n my holiday pay is the same as my regular pay from my agency!
    i didnt really like reed cos they were like well we cant sign u up cos u have no job experience in admin n no one would take u n then cos my mum works with someone whose daughter works for brook street, they signed me up n i did the IT tests n stuff n i got a job..hmm i think agencies work differently

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cor)
    to be bored out your mind? yes.
    You're not funny.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I don't they were trying to be funny....

ReputationRep:
    Avoid temp agencies like the plague. They pay you holiday pay as a component of your hourly rate, which will be lower than your non-agency colleagues. I know because I worked for the paryoll department of a large company in my gap year, and saw how much people got paid etc. Proper firms will give you paid days off, which is far better (eg if you accumulate 10, you could take them all when you started uni, so could continue to collect your old weekly salary for 2 weeks after you left). Also, any employer is legally obliged to give you holiday pay, agency or otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JJ Jones)
    Also, any employer is legally obliged to give you holiday pay, agency or otherwise.
    Is this always the case? I worked full-time in an office for 3 months last summer and didn't get any paid holiday. I'm going back there this year so it would be helpful if anyone knows where I stand on this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bewithoutyou)
    Is this always the case? I worked full-time in an office for 3 months last summer and didn't get any paid holiday. I'm going back there this year so it would be helpful if anyone knows where I stand on this.
    In any full time job you should be given a minimum of 20 (or so i can't remember the exact figure) days paid holiday per year or, if you haven't worked there for a year, then the equivalent amount of holiday hours/pay to the time that you have worked for.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.