c0co
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Where is a good place/field of work during your gap year? Where can you make the best money etc!? Thanks guys!
Obscured
Badges: 0
Report 13 years ago
Agencies are always a best bet, or clerical work. Even more boring are super markets because although the pay is lousy you can get quite a lot doing over time. There is a thread that lists all the best job sites. I think Reed agency are meant to be good.
BloodyValentine
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I worked for John Lewis for 5 months and made about £7000 so definitely lots of money to be made from xmas temping in stores the overtimes good the pay varies but it's normally above minimum wage and best of all it requires no previous experience most of the time. Start applying round september. Otherwise you can find some clerical or waiting tables or something during the summer
belle_27
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
:eek: I live near a John Lewis *runs over there to get a summer job temping* :vroam:
Higgy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I worked half my gap year in a cafe and the other half at morrisons and yes i made a lot of money...............but i spent most of it lol
BiscuitFuelled
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Anything in a ski resort - pay's pretty horrendous, but some things are more important than money... like skiing every day!
Beelzebub
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I swear by waiting tables, if you work at a decent restaurant you can get £40-50 tips a night and if you get on with the rest of the staff it can be a real laugh, and shifts go really quickly too.
ellewoods
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Beelzebub)
I swear by waiting tables, if you work at a decent restaurant you can get £40-50 tips a night and if you get on with the rest of the staff it can be a real laugh, and shifts go really quickly too.
I agree.
I make double my wages in tips, and I genuinely like and get on with practically all the staff there, we have a great time
Plus you can be flexible with your hours as you can work daytime or evening shifts.

Whatever you do, choose something you can enjoy to some degree There's nothing worse than doing a job you hate and counting the hours down til home time - having a gap year gives you an opportunity to have some fun in a job that isn't necessarily going to have anything to do with your actual career. So have fun
rosieposy87
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I would definitely recommend going through a temp agency- they are required by law to pay you holiday pay- which increases as you earn more. For instance, if you would usually earn £6.00 an hour doing admin work then a temp agency would pay you £6.50- and believe me, that adds up!! You just need to sign up to as many as possible and keep bugging them all the time for work. Definitely the best.
siddyboy
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by rosieposy87)
I would definitely recommend going through a temp agency- they are required by law to pay you holiday pay- which increases as you earn more. For instance, if you would usually earn £6.00 an hour doing admin work then a temp agency would pay you £6.50- and believe me, that adds up!! You just need to sign up to as many as possible and keep bugging them all the time for work. Definitely the best.
www.deloitte.co.uk/scholars
belle_27
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
^^ Bit too late for a gap year commencing this September.
pedy1986
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by siddyboy)
www.deloitte.co.uk/scholars
to be bored out your mind? yes.
Hana_1987
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by rosieposy87)
im sorry, what?! im confused! i have to work 40 hours a week just to earn 3 hours holiday n my holiday pay is the same as my regular pay from my agency!
i didnt really like reed cos they were like well we cant sign u up cos u have no job experience in admin n no one would take u n then cos my mum works with someone whose daughter works for brook street, they signed me up n i did the IT tests n stuff n i got a job..hmm i think agencies work differently
lukyeh
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by cor)
to be bored out your mind? yes.
You're not funny.
beach surf babe
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I don't they were trying to be funny....
JJ Jones
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Avoid temp agencies like the plague. They pay you holiday pay as a component of your hourly rate, which will be lower than your non-agency colleagues. I know because I worked for the paryoll department of a large company in my gap year, and saw how much people got paid etc. Proper firms will give you paid days off, which is far better (eg if you accumulate 10, you could take them all when you started uni, so could continue to collect your old weekly salary for 2 weeks after you left). Also, any employer is legally obliged to give you holiday pay, agency or otherwise.
bewithoutyou
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by JJ Jones)
Also, any employer is legally obliged to give you holiday pay, agency or otherwise.
Is this always the case? I worked full-time in an office for 3 months last summer and didn't get any paid holiday. I'm going back there this year so it would be helpful if anyone knows where I stand on this.
laurenlauren
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by bewithoutyou)
Is this always the case? I worked full-time in an office for 3 months last summer and didn't get any paid holiday. I'm going back there this year so it would be helpful if anyone knows where I stand on this.
In any full time job you should be given a minimum of 20 (or so i can't remember the exact figure) days paid holiday per year or, if you haven't worked there for a year, then the equivalent amount of holiday hours/pay to the time that you have worked for.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20

How many uni open days have you been to/did you go to?

0 (81)
28.83%
1 (46)
16.37%
2 (43)
15.3%
3 (39)
13.88%
4 (20)
7.12%
5 (21)
7.47%