Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I thought a few of you might be interested to know that I have written a novel based on my time at Cambridge. I attended St Catharine’s College and graduated with a hard-earned Economics degree in 2000.

The book is called “The Cambridge Diaries” and tells the story of a young northern lad (based loosely on myself, although he has funnier lines) and his quest to fit into a world in which he feels he won’t belong. It is packed full of stories about strange Cambridge traditions, the wide array of characters that study at the University, and one man’s quest to find the Love of His Life whilst trying to get through an Economics degree. Primarily it is the tale of a young man just doing his best to survive.

I hope the book will be of interest to anyone thinking of applying to Cambridge or Oxford as it either dispels or confirms many of the tales you might have heard. It also offers an insight into life at university and some of the pressures that there are, and it may be of comfort to anyone who has had a few relationship problems in their time and is looking to feel better about themselves.

The book is available via Amazon on the following link, and please don’t be put off by the expected delivery time because it will arrive a lot sooner.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...508723-4899032

I really hope you enjoy the book and I would be extremely grateful for any feedback, both good and bad.

Craig

ReputationRep:
    Well done you! Best of luck

ReputationRep:
    can we buy it in any cambridge library soon?

ReputationRep:
    a lesbian spy for a tutor
    heh

ReputationRep:
    so whos going to buy ???

ReputationRep:
    wow that's really impressive, well done!!!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everybody for your messages. I really appreciate it. Us struggling authors need all the support we can get, especially when all our friends are rich investment bankers.

Hopefully you should be able to order the book from any bookshop by quoting the ISBN number (1-85756-666), but it might take a while to arrive. I am rather optimistically planning a "book signing session" (could well be a long and lonely day) in Cambridge in May, and hopefully a feature in Varsity too, but I will let you know.

Once again, thanks for the support and I really hope you enjoy the book

Craig

ReputationRep:
    It's a bit dear at 16 quid including the sourcing fee...

ReputationRep:
    it looks like a long book though ?

ReputationRep:
    Hello again!

I know it is a bit on the expensive side. I fought long and hard with my publishers about that, but they assured me that they knew best. All I can say is that I am sorry, and that it is a fairly big book (we're talking Potter size here), but hopefully if you read it you will really enjoy it, and hopefully if I sell enough of these I can make the next one much much cheaper.

But you are right, it certianly is a bit on the expensive side, especially for the average student budget.

Craig

ReputationRep:
    Looks quite interesting, I might purchase it sometime in the future . Well done.

ReputationRep:
    Looks interesting. If i make my offer I will read it.

ReputationRep:
    If I get an offer - I'm applying to Catz for 2007 entry - I'll get the book! But I won't know till January next year I'm afraid...

ReputationRep:
    mmm...sounds a little bit (to me) like it might reinforce the whole class/culture clash.

ReputationRep:
    Agreed. It sounds to me like a long, exaggerated stereotype which would not have been published were the university in question not so famous. Fair play to the author though, for a) making money out of people's Oxbridge mania and/or class tension mania and b) actually producing a book, which is a huge achievement as a student.

ReputationRep:
    Well put!

Hear Hear!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isaiah Berlin)
    b) actually producing a book, which is a huge achievement as a student.
    He's not a student now, he graduated in 2000.

ReputationRep:
    Pfft, buying books...

I'll wait until the UL get it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FadeToBlackout)
    Pfft, buying books...

I'll wait until the UL get it!
    that almost deserves rep!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by popop12345)
    that almost deserves rep!!
    But only almost....:p:

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.