Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning to build a new PC over the summer, I'd just like your recommendations on whether I should get a SATA hard drive or SATA2? What are the main differences? I've read wikipedia but it didn't make much sense to me... Or would you recommend some other types of hard drives?

ReputationRep:
    Make sure the controller supports SATA2, but for the hard disk it really doesnt matter.

ReputationRep:
    SATA is 150mb/s where as SATA is 300mb/s. There will be very few occasions where you would notice any difference in speed. The only thing that will be increased is the maximum burst speed for the drive where it offloads data from the drives cache to the motherboard. I dont think there is a huge amount of diffence in the pricing of the various products with SATA2 being slightly more expensive. I suppose it may be worth it for a bit of future proofing but really when you come round to upgrading the processor they will have introdced a new socket and so you would need a new motherboard anyway.

It may be worthwhile looking for quicker drives as they do make quite a difference to the overall performance of the PC.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/2005/09/27/round/

Problem is no hard drive comes close to reaching the interfaces' maximum speed (most drives still dont go above ~70mb\s average transfer speed).

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 12, 2006
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.