SATA or SATA2 for my new PC? Watch

[email protected]
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
I'm planning to build a new PC over the summer, I'd just like your recommendations on whether I should get a SATA hard drive or SATA2? What are the main differences? I've read wikipedia but it didn't make much sense to me... Or would you recommend some other types of hard drives?
PieMaster
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Make sure the controller supports SATA2, but for the hard disk it really doesnt matter.
markkey
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
SATA is 150mb/s where as SATA is 300mb/s. There will be very few occasions where you would notice any difference in speed. The only thing that will be increased is the maximum burst speed for the drive where it offloads data from the drives cache to the motherboard. I dont think there is a huge amount of diffence in the pricing of the various products with SATA2 being slightly more expensive. I suppose it may be worth it for a bit of future proofing but really when you come round to upgrading the processor they will have introdced a new socket and so you would need a new motherboard anyway.

It may be worthwhile looking for quicker drives as they do make quite a difference to the overall performance of the PC.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/2005/09/27/round/
sr4470
Badges: 13
Report 13 years ago
Problem is no hard drive comes close to reaching the interfaces' maximum speed (most drives still dont go above ~70mb\s average transfer speed).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many uni open days have you been to/did you go to?

0 (58)
26.98%
1 (33)
15.35%
2 (38)
17.67%
3 (29)
13.49%
4 (16)
7.44%
5 (17)
7.91%