Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Worried about work experience interview tomorrow! watch

ReputationRep:
    I know it isn't too serious or important but tomorrow I have an interview with a law firm to hopefully get some work experience from them. I am in the first year of sixth form and will be doing AS exams this June.

For some reason I am really worried If I am this worried about this I dread to think how I feel about a University interview.

I have no idea what they will expect or ask me. I know barely anything about law at the moment - do you think they will expect me to have background knowledge already? I don't even really know why they are interviewing me - it's just work experience!! Do you think it would be necessary to dress formally? Any advice for it?

Thanks!! :tsr2:

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you should wear a suit. It will present a more professional outlook.

Background knowledge? Doubtful as you're only a lower sixth student - would be an incredibly mean Solicitor who expected that!

What to expect - who knows? PRobably why you want to persue a career in law etc.

Why do they want to interview you? Probably to see if they want to spend a week with you.

Be enthusiatic, well mannered and professional. Above all, be your self.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

ReputationRep:
    They are probably just checking that you're not about to turn around to a client and say "Mr So&so? Yes, Mr Solicitor will be with you in a second, let him just finish the newspaper...."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crazy Mongoose)
    They are probably just checking that you're not about to turn around to a client and say "Mr So&so? Yes, Mr Solicitor will be with you in a second, let him just finish the newspaper...."
    We ALL know that's what you'd do mongoose

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ethereal)
    We ALL know that's what you'd do mongoose
    Don't be silly. I'd ask the client to help with the crossword...

ReputationRep:
    LOL,

1 down is antidisestablishmentarianism

ReputationRep:
    Hehe, I didn't have an interview before I did my work experience.

ReputationRep:
    Have you had the interview yet seaspray?

How did it go?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ethereal)
    Yes, you should wear a suit. It will present a more professional outlook.

Background knowledge? Doubtful as you're only a lower sixth student - would be an incredibly mean Solicitor who expected that!

What to expect - who knows? PRobably why you want to persue a career in law etc.

Why do they want to interview you? Probably to see if they want to spend a week with you.

Be enthusiatic, well mannered and professional. Above all, be your self.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Wear a suit? O.M.F.G That is a tad stupid for a 17 year old.

Wear your school uniform, be clean, tidy and well mannered, forget the suit.

They do not expect anything from you other than to show some intrest in what they're doing. They certainly do no not expect any law knowledge.

If they do in any way make you feel uncomfortable, tell them to f**k off, their loss. You can get work experience anywhere if you want it.

ReputationRep:
    Why is it stupid for a 17 year old? His school uniform might be somewhat scruffy, and to be honest he's looking for WORK experience not experience of school!!

I fail to see the harm in presenting a professional outlook even at 17 years old. I played rugby at a local club during my entire school career, and had to wear polished black shoes, pressed trousers, shirt, blazer and tie. I think age has nothing to do with it, and a positive professional outlook is more important.

If he has a suit, he should wear it - especially as it is unlikely the solicitor would appreciate him working in a school uniform for a week. Whilst doing work experience you are effectively a junior member of staff and should act and dress accordingly.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies. The interview is not until 4pm but I will let you know how it goes.

ReputationRep:
    I am a proud member of my schools senior Rugby Squad. We wear our clean and tidy uniforms, polished black shoes, pressed trousers and blazers (all of which are part of our uniforms) to match, which to be honest gives the correct impression.

The OP isn't going for a job interview, it's work experience. If someone were to see this chap around the office they want to know who he is and where he is from, they want to know he is student. And he can let them know by wearing his school uniform.

A junior member of staff? Don't be ridiculous, are you living in the real world?

Wearing a school uniform is dressing appropriately and accordingly.

I honestly think you don't live in the real world, do you get out enough?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I do live in the real world. I have also done work experience in a solicitors and it isn't just about watching. It is likely he will be doing the job of an office junior ie filling and photocopying, because he's a spare pair of hands.

When I was at school I wouldn't dream of going to someone's business and wearing my school uniform. Would you suggest the same to someone going into a lab, or a farm, or any number of non-office based jobs?

ReputationRep:
    I'm proud of my school and I enjoying wearing my uniform in public. It's all part of my identity. Because you've done some work experience you live in the real world? Haha.

I spent two weeks of work experience with a doctor and a dentist, both asked me to wear my uniform to let patients know who I was. Doctors/Dentists are not office based jobs, go figure Sherlock.

I thought law students had at least some common sense, clearly I'm wrong.

ReputationRep:
    A sols office is a private business.

ReputationRep:
    My dentist owns his own business you tit. Besidres, that's completely irrelevant.

Meh, I was always under the impression Law students could tell the difference betweens something that's relevant and something that's irrelevant.

ReputationRep:
    Going to someone's business in your school uniform is somewhat unprofessional. The client of the Solicitor does not need to know who the OP is, nor what they are doing there. If the OP is workign in a suit, they will likely assume he is a member of staff. If, however, he is wearing a school uniform they would rightly ask what a schoolboy is doing with access to their files.

With reference to law students, we are taught to way up the issue in the wider sheme of things and also to refrain from such comments as "you tit" and "law students are supposed to have common sense".

With reference to your assertion the OP can tell the sol to F off, and can get work experience anywhere that is also incorrect. Many sols offices are small, and so unable to offer work experience. The ones that do offer work experience will often be inundated with requests from students in their first year of university.

This is an important opportunity for the OP, and he should avoid all possibilities of mucking up. As for my experience of the real world, I am under no obligation to justify my opinions with reference to it, however, I have had a variety of jobs etc and so am not posting completely devoid of any experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john171)
    The OP isn't going for a job interview, it's work experience. If someone were to see this chap around the office they want to know who he is and where he is from, they want to know he is student. And he can let them know by wearing his school uniform.

A junior member of staff? Don't be ridiculous, are you living in the real world?

Wearing a school uniform is dressing appropriately and accordingly.

I honestly think you don't live in the real world, do you get out enough?

Meh, I was always under the impression Law students could tell the difference betweens something that's relevant and something that's irrelevant.
    I'm sorry but you are just stupid. Who in their right mind would wear their school uniform during work experience at a solicitors firm? It would look ridiculous and you'd end up feeling very stupid. Why would people need to know who you were? The solicitors that I came into contact with nearly all knew who I was and why I was there and those that didn't asked politely. A solicitors' office is not like a doctor's surgery. Generally you don't have clients waltzing in and out of the office the whole time. When I did work experience I only met one set of clients (some film producers) and I got introduced to them by the person who I was shadowing. At the City firm I got told to just wear a plain suit, shirt and tie.

He might not even still be wearing a school uniform if he's doing AS levels. I go to a comprehensive and I certainly haven't had to wear a uniform since I took my GCSEs.

I also agree that when you are there you are, in a way, a junior member of staff. On the off chance that clients do come in for a meeting of some description how you behave and act will reflect upon the firm.

ReputationRep:
    I must admit the idea of just unthinkingly going in your 'school uniform' is foolish, if only for the variance in uniforms- my sixth form has no uniform, another i know is a hoody (oh the horror) and some others are in suits anyway, which makes your point somewhat moot John171.

I wouldn't dream of turning up at anything even vaugly formal without a suit. If i felt it necessary, and my VIth form had one, i might wear the school tie with said suit, but that would be as far as i could go. And the end of the day, he isn't applying through his school, he's applying independently, and thus should feel under no obligation to identify himself with his school at all.

ReputationRep:
    Did it ever occur to you that he may not feel comfortable in a suit?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 15, 2006
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.