Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    If there were 34 amino acids and DNA only contained two types of nitrogenous bases, what would be the minimum number of bases per codon that could code for proteins?

ReputationRep:
    well there are two bases, and you want 34 codons:
    2^5 = 32
    2^6 = 64, so you want 6 bases per codon.

ReputationRep:
    heres another one ...
    ONe complete turn of the double helix of DNA contains 10 pairs of bases and is 3.4 nm long. What is the approximate length of the DNA coding sequence of lysozome, a protein of 129 amino acids ?
    A. 132 nm
    B. 113 nm
    C. 66nm
    D. 44nm

ReputationRep:
    well each turn contains 10 bases (on one chain), you have 129 amino acids, so you have 387 codons. This means 38.7 turns are required. Since each turn is 3.4nm long, the length is approximately 131.58nm. Thence, A is the answer.

ReputationRep:
    i dont understand that how 38.7 turns are required ??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e-n-i-g-m-a)
    i dont understand that how 38.7 turns are required ??
    Each amino acid is coded for by 3 bases - so 129 amino acids requires 129 x 3 bases of DNA to code for it = 387 bases.

As you are told that one turn of the helix is 10 bases, that means 387 bases will be 387/10 turns = 38.7 turns.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 15, 2006

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.