The Student Room Group

Most irritating thing about the privately educated?

One thing would be the way they whine about how much prejudice exists against them, almost putting themselves on a par with African-Americans, single mothers, or Muslims and other Asians in contemporary Britain. Amongst the symptoms of this prejudice, apparently, is the fact that some people refer to them as 'poshos'. To be called such a thing constitutes a form of suffering and hideous hatred that no-one from a state school could even begin to contemplate. Clearly this has a profoundly deleterious effect on their ability to succeed in later life, which is why there are so few privately educated people in politics, business, the law, culture, the media, and so on..... :tongue:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NatalieLon1986
One thing would be the way they whine about how much prejudice exists against them, almost putting themselves on a par with African-Americans, single mothers, or Muslims and other Asians in contemporary Britain. Amongst the symptoms of this prejudice, apparently, is the fact that some people refer to them as 'poshos'. To be called such a thing constitutes a form of suffering and hideous hatred that no-one from a state school could even begin to contemplate. Clearly this has a profoundly deleterious effect on their ability to succeed in later life, which is why there are so few privately educated people in politics, business, the law, culture, the media, and so on..... :tongue:

Quite a broad generalisation you're making there.
Not all of us are stuck up. Surprise!
Reply 3
Gap Yah's?
Reply 4
I went to a private school, and I never heard any whining about that.
Reply 5

Most annoying thing about those who irrationally bash private school kids?
Sweeping generalisations and far more prejudice than I've seen exhibited by the privately educated people I know.

Is this about me?
Anyway, that was an example out of many. Being spat at and ignored by people purely because of my education is another. I also did not compare myself or peers too african americans, single mothers etc. Prejudice is wrong, no matter what the degree too which it exists. Be it a boy calling all girls bitches or a country committing ethnic cleansing, it's wrong.
I also never said that it severly impacts the lives of former private schoolers-just that prejudice is wrong and that you dont know the lives of other people and you shouldn't pretend too. Also, that it is hypocritical too claim others don't understand your life/the lives of group xyz, then turn around and dismiss other groups because of your prejudice.
Prejudice and hypocrosy are two things I would like too see removed from the world.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
That is a highly uneducated generalization about "poshos". And when i say "uneducated" i don't mean a "state-funded generalization", i mean a plain right ignorant one. Yes, there are existent "poshos" with that belief, but the majority are fully conscience of their privileges, and are often not defensive when referred to as being a "spoilt toff" at all, and understand that is an inevitable factor of being well-off. How do i know this? I attend a private school on scholarship, therefore give an highly unbiased view, because if anything, i would be judgmental towards my "posho peers"
Reply 8
People that are privately educated are exactly the same as people from public schools, i went to a public school and I dont think there any better or higher than me, and if they think that, thats because their a***holes not because their privately educated. You cant generalise like that, its ridiculous
Reply 9
It's also a bit presumptuous to assume the people that are called 'poshos' are the privately educated.

I would say the most annoying thing about them is that they get a better education and chance at life than those who can't afford it.
I was never privately educated.

If this thread said 'worst thing about state school kids', I'd be pretty annoyed by that since you can't just assume that every state school kid is the same, so I don't really understand why people think reverse snobbery is okay. Either way, you generalise a bunch of people. Not every state schooled person is a chav, not every privately educated person looks down their nose at others.
As you get older and mingle with people from diverse backgrounds you see that not everyone fits into a neat stereotype.
I think I might add uptightness and a singular lack of a sense of humour, which might be discerned even on the basis of this thread so far! :rolleyes:
Reply 12
Original post by Alix23
It's also a bit presumptuous to assume the people that are called 'poshos' are the privately educated.

I would say the most annoying thing about them is that they get a better education and chance at life than those who can't afford it.
I agree. But that annoyance should be targeted at the system, not individuals.
Reply 13
What a ridiculous thread. The fact that you felt a need to make this reeks of either bitterness or extreme boredom.
Original post by Alix23

I didn't choose my economic background, or what school I went too. How can something out of my control be annoying?*genuinely curious here, by the way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
OP: Have you never heard of bursaries or scholarships?! This is how half of us get there! You work your butt off and do well, and you apply for all the blinking help they offer.
I think I might add uptightness and a singular lack of a sense of humour, which might be discerned even on the basis of this thread so far! :rolleyes:

Oh thank god!
Please tell me this was meant in a sarcastic troll way rather than people are actually able
too generalise too such a high level?
Or am I just being too optimistic and placing too much faith in humanity again?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by Sheldor
Is this about me?
Anyway, that was an example out of many. Being spat at and ignored by people purely because of my education is another. I also did not compare myself or peers too african americans, single mothers etc. Prejudice is wrong, no matter what the degree too which it exists. Be it a boy calling all girls bitches or a country committing ethnic cleansing, it's wrong.
I also never said that it severly impacts the lives of former private schoolers-just that prejudice is wrong and that you dont know the lives of other people and you shouldn't pretend too. Also, that it is hypocritical too claim others don't understand your life/the lives of group xyz, then turn around and dismiss other groups because of your prejudice.
Prejudice and hypocrosy are two things I would like too see removed from the world.
Posted from TSR Mobile

People have spat at you because you went to a private school? That's pretty disgusting. :s-smilie:

I have met people who go to private schools who instantly assume that state schools are like a zoo, that's probably the most irritating thing. But the majority are fine and are nice people.
Original post by Jainz
OP: Have you never heard of bursaries or scholarships?! This is how half of us get there! You work your butt off and do well, and you apply for all the blinking help they offer.

Yep! Scholar kid right here! It's only an honourary one though since I didn't want too take the money which would be enough for someone else too get in on a bursary when I can afford it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey :P.

I'm at private school, and there is very little prejudice in my school against the state schools in my area, (well a few jokes made about the sink comprehensive...but nothing more than that) but there is a LOT of prejudice against our school. I got referred to as a 'F****n boffin gay posho' on the way to school yesterday by a state school kid on a bike who saw my uniform...charming.

Obviously most state school kids are fine; my little sister's at state school, my last school was state, I know what it's like. I'm just saying, the only difference between my school and a state school is we pay fees, and there are a higher percentage of bright kids SIMPLY because of the entrance exams. The private school kids in my year irritate me sometimes when they boast about things or look down on people; but 90% of the students in my year are just normal, mostly nice people who get incredibly annoyed with the other 10% whenever they look down on people. So I just wish people would judge us on how we act and not how we look :smile:

(BTW I'm new here and just trying to express my opinion so please don't neg me too badly! :smile: )

Quick Reply

Latest