Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Mix different types of RAM? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    At the moment my laptop has 256mb of pc2100 ram, but I have been offered a 512mb stick of pc2700 ram off a mate. Will the pc2700 stick work ok at the slower speed to match the existing RAM or is this a bad idea?

cheers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah the RAM will be backwardly compatable with the existing RAM and will just operate at the same speed as the slower stick.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markkey)
    Yeah the RAM will in theory be backwardly compatable with the existing RAM and will just operate at the same speed as the slower stick.
    99% of the time it'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I suppose I should have said that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stevoboy)
    At the moment my laptop has 256mb of pc2100 ram, but I have been offered a 512mb stick of pc2700 ram off a mate. Will the pc2700 stick work ok at the slower speed to match the existing RAM or is this a bad idea?

cheers
    The "PCX000" bit just identifys the frequency at which the RAM will run on the FSB. So as long as your motherboard supports it, it should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stevoboy)

cheers
    Shouldn't be a problem

ReputationRep:
    z0mfg m1x t3h rams?!!11
    r u CRAZY?!1

ReputationRep:
    TBH i would probably ditch the 256 and just have the 512 running faster. Assuming your motherboard supports pc2700 anyways

Up to you though

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys just put it in and it works fine motherboard only supports upto pc2100 so will probably keep the 256

ReputationRep:
    the last time i tried to add a stick on RAM i tried to have a 64MB stick and a 256 stick of PC100 running on the same machine and it refused to work.

Obviously this was a few years ago ("a few") so perhaps there is no longer this problem

ReputationRep:
    Out of interest, i have a system which can take upto pc-6400 ddr2 ram.
    I currently have 2 x 512MB ddr2 400 ram. If i installed a further 2 x 1GB ddr2 667 ram in the correct banks, will the new ram run at the higher speed. I ask this because the higher speed ram is actually cheaper than the 400 mhz ram on crucial's website.

Also, what real increase in performance is there with an increase in speed and loss in latency on a pentium 530 system (chipset is 915g).

Thx for any help.

ReputationRep:
    With DDR2 speed maybe increased but at present latency is actually increased as it takes more cycles to find the memory.

You wont be able to mix DDR and DDR2 either you will need to run one or the other.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 17, 2006
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.