Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've wanted to do drama for about six years now. Basically though, to cut a long story short, I decided not apply to any drama schools to at the time of my application, because my school doesn't teach drama so I have no solid qualifications as such. I do have good qualifications in music, and a lot of extracurricular drama experience, as well as a huge amount of passion for the the arts, but I just didn't think they'd let me in based on that. I checked today and discovered that a lot of places do take applicants with unusual circumstances and qualifications that don't meet the usual standards, and I wish I'd checked everything fully now. Anyway, I decided to apply for politics instead, and I've got offers now, but I'm coming to the realisation that although I have a lot of interest in politics, it's really only drama I want to do at the moment.

I don't want to take a gap year and apply next year, because I have a bit of a fear of that, to be honest, since I've got nothing arranged, and I have this mental image of never managing to get in anywhere else for anything at all, so it's a bit of a no-go for me at the moment, I think.

The uni that's probably going to be my firm choice appears to have a well established drama society, thank goodness, but I'm wondering if it's a feasible option for me to accept this uni - or any other one, for that matter - as my firm, hopefully go to uni this year, and then maybe apply to drama schools next year? Is it possible to do that; to get a place on a course while already at another uni, then drop out of the other one? My understanding is that you apply directly to the schools, rather than through UCAS, so would I be able to do that? Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I ought to do? Do you think I can fit any more questions in here just so I can sound more frantic, because ahhelpmehelpmehelpme? Banana?

I think I may be having something of a quarter-life crisis at this point; any help or advice would be hugely appreciated. I might otherwise pull out all my hair in a fit of dramatic pique, and that would be most unfortunate.

ReputationRep:
    It's definately possible to apply for another course while at Uni - lots of people do realise that what they're doing isn't actually what they truely want to do. However, if drama school really is where you want to go, maybe you should consider a gap year. I know you don't have anything lined up but I'm sure you could find something and if that something was aimed towards acting/the arts it would hopefully prove to the drama schools that you're really serious about wanting to go there.

With regard to having a quarter-life crises, don't worry about it! I pretty much went through one myself recently. I had applied for law, got 6 offers and was realising that it was actually nursing I wanted to do. After plucking up the courage and deciding I had nothing to lose, I contacted one of my Unis and asked about course changes. After an interview they offered me a place on the nursing course! If you want something enough, you will get it. Think about a gap year and doing something drama related - i'm sure there are plenty of things around. It would also give you some more time to decide that it really is for you. However, by all means accept an offer for politics - you will be able to apply to drama school while at uni. Good luck with everything!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. I totally agree with nuttymimi. Why don't you call the universities that gave you offers for politics. They might just change your course to drama just like what happened to her. Or else if you dont want to take a gap year just accept the politics offer and try it out. Who knows, you might like it after all and you could be active in drama societies.

Actually I'm in the same situation as you. I'm really interested in drama and performing arts but being in a developing country which stresses on science and not to mention with a dead arts scene it's just not worth it to study drama and end up as an arts director in a gallery or so. Therefore, after taking all into consideration its best for me to take up accounting and still be much involved in performing arts as a hobby.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for replying and being so supportive, guys - you've both been really helpful!

Unfortunately, I looked it up and both unis I've applied to don't actually do anything drama and/or theatre related in order for me to be able to switch - I am appalled. Sigh. Well done though, nuttymimi - that's fantastic that you got what you wanted.

I think I'm gonna go with the courses I've got for this year and try to do drama as an extracurricular thing, then apply next year, since I know now that it's a possibility.

Thanks again guys - you're both fantastic. Good luck for uni!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. Just out of curiosity which university offers have you got to do politics?

ReputationRep:
    Maybe this isn't very useful... but if you want more extra-curricular drama to reinforce your application, through an out-of-school drama company you can do qualifications such as those offered by LAMDA.

ReputationRep:
    Well, yes. You could go to your university for law, then if it really isnt for you, and there is no option of swapping to a drama course, then re-apply through ucas again next year. Someone I know didnt like their course, they dropped out and re-applied. It would make the process easier, as you wil have your a level results by then as well, so you would be getting an unconditional offer if you reapplied.

tbh, I'm kinda in the same situation as you and blurboy, i applied for archaeology, but kinda wished i had applied for drama/theatre studies, then done teaching. however, im lucky that both my firm and insurance both have good courses for drama/theatre studies (both are different ) so i can swap if i meet the grades. *Sigh* oh, the endless possibilities for a drama degree...

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.