Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does self catering really help with cutting costs of living expenses, also what are the facilities like is it a really bad electric hob and a toaster or is there real gas stoving and other proper cooking appliances?? a bit of a silly question but hav u eva tried cooking without fire?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frazer100)
    Does self catering really help with cutting costs of living expenses, also what are the facilities like is it a really bad electric hob and a toaster or is there real gas stoving and other proper cooking appliances?? a bit of a silly question but hav u eva tried cooking without fire?:confused:
    Weren't cavemen the only people to cook exclusively using fire? lol

Sorry, this wasn't a very helpful post... As long as theres a microwave, you can cook pretty much anything. Just immerse it in water, and set it to full. Maybe not the best/tastiest way to cook, but it will work in an emergency. Just out of interest, did you mean that all electric hobs are bad to cook on, or were you asking if it's a bad electric hob, since gas cookers couldn't be bad, or there'd be a leak?

Anyway...

ReputationRep:
    just my general experience, but electric stoves are bad while gas stoves are always easier to cook on.its just some places get electric cos they can be cheaper tho are generally rubbish. Gas always better. Are there really only microwaves or is that just the best way there is to cook?

ReputationRep:
    I'm very much a supporter of gas. That's the main reason why Agas just don't suit me.

ReputationRep:
    Sandwich toaster and Waffle maker ...All you need!! :p:

ReputationRep:
    I think all self-catering halls have electric- probably it's for fire safety more than anything, drunk students setting light to themselves at 3am etc... I agree electric is rubbish, but you can cope for a year- when you move out in second year you can look for a house with gas.

I never did the sums to properly work out whether or not self-catering saves money, but i think it probably does, provided you can budget effectively! More importantly you can control what you spend and what you eat, and you can start learning to cook!

You definitely won't just have a microwave, there'll be an oven and hobs! With most catered accom i think you don't get meals at the weekend (?), and so have to cook for yourself...i went to CHH on my open day and saw the cupboard with a fridge, microwave and kettle where i think about 10 students were expected to cook for themselves each weekend! Completely put me off catered!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steveee)
    I'm very much a supporter of gas. That's the main reason why Agas just don't suit me.
    I have an Aga that runs on gas.

I think that the price difference between catering/self catering is practically nothing- i've been told by so many people that it works out about the same. So i would just choose which one you'd prefer. Plus, the stress that would go into budgeting every last penny of your shopping each week just isn't worth it to make it £100 cheaper for the year or whatever.

I don't think any halls are going to have gas- why would they spend the extra money when they could buy us all crappy electric ovens!? I'm not even sure they provide toasters (my boyfriend's corridor all had to chip in 14p each for a toaster). Sure they're not great but i'd rather be self catering any day- you get to eat what you want, when you want, and you don't have to get ill and fat eating the rubbish catered food!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosieposy87)
    Sure they're not great but i'd rather be self catering any day- you get to eat what you want, when you want, and you don't have to get ill and fat eating the rubbish catered food!
    No, instead you get the pleasure of self-inducing your illness and fatness upon yourself!

ReputationRep:
    self catered...well durdham has 2 cookers, they are electric but thats safer, and they arnt too bad. we bought our own microwave for a fiver each. its got 2 fridges 2 freezers and a toaster provided. and a kettle. anything you would need really.

yes it definatly definatly saves money, catered halls are 30 quid a week more expensive than our hall, and i spend about 10 quid a week on food if that sometimes, and eat well. also catered people tend to eat out for lunch a lot, wheras we make our lunch which saves money, cus the food you do have in catered gets stolen cus so many people share 1 fridge, wheras ours its just your flat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Mudman)
    As long as theres a microwave, you can cook pretty much anything. Just immerse it in water, and set it to full. Maybe not the best/tastiest way to cook, but it will work in an emergency.
    I'm sorry, but UGGHH!

ReputationRep:
    :rofl:

Seriously though, I really don't think the facilities are going to be that bad that you won't be able to cope with them...

But wednesburywench... £10 a week???!???! :eek: :marchmell :eek: ...Awesome!

ReputationRep:
    our facilities in durdham are good. if anythnig breaks they replace it the same day too, they r brilliant. yep, i buy lots of food at start of term from asda, freeze it, and that works out a lot cheaper. spent about 70 quid at the start of term, then like 3 quid a week from then on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Johnny)
    I'm sorry, but UGGHH!
    I never said I recommended it, or have tried it even...

ReputationRep:
    How does the kitchen arrangement work in self catered? Do you share a fridge and label your food and trust each others honesty??! What about the freezer, if mummy dearest (like yeah!!) makes up frozen meals do you just label them? Does anyone have microwaves in their room or is that a definate no no?

ReputationRep:
    manor hall-mixed or single sex corridors
    (sorry for random question)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Mudman)
    I never said I recommended it, or have tried it even...
    I know, but can you imagine? I think I'd rather go hungry lol!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandra.d)
    How does the kitchen arrangement work in self catered? Do you share a fridge and label your food and trust each others honesty??! What about the freezer, if mummy dearest (like yeah!!) makes up frozen meals do you just label them? Does anyone have microwaves in their room or is that a definate no no?
    Lmao, you'll be lucky if you're even allowed a non-university duvet in your room (because apparently, that is a fire hazard) so the idea that you'll be alllowed a microwave is hilarious.

Everyone shares a fridge. And you tend to have a shelf of your own. You can label your food with your initials or whatever- but generally if you live with nice people they know which food they bought, and you know which food you bought so no-one goes around nicking vast amounts (though milk and tomato ketchup dissapear VERY quickly!).

If things get really desperate do the thing a GENIUS boy on these boards suggested- which is making a piece of tupperware look like it's full of mould and rank stuff by painting it, and put all your food in there. I doubt very much it'll get to that point though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandra.d)
    Self-catered accom is usually arranged in flats, and you'll share a kitchen with no more than about 6 people, so it's not as though they'll be strangers!! There should be ample fridge/freezer space for everyone to have a shelf of their own, i don't think there's ever any need to label food, people can usually remember what's theirs! There might be the odd person who helps themselves to some of your stuff occasionally, if it really annoys you it's best to just tell them as they probably assume it's ok. But you'll most likely be friends with these people after the first few days/weeks, so you probably won't mind so much if they nick a slice of your bread when they've run out- it can be a handy reciprocal arrangement!

ReputationRep:
    no weve never labled anything and iv only ever had like a slice of bread stolen, and they told me and replaced it so! you share with your flat in self catered so know the people anyways. and everyone knows whats their own. sometimes milk is a problem with people not thinkin it is theirs n leaving it to go off cus they have forgotten its theirs cus everyone has the same, but no.....never a problem atall.

ReputationRep:
    The thing is, im going to have a problem with cooking as i eat halal meat and pork is poison to me.....can i bring my own pots and pans OR do you have to bring your own anyway? Esp. when putting meat in the fringe, i have to try and avoid mine being contaminated so i can i bring my own freezer and fridge.... Or is it not allowed? Can i bring my house cook, as i think it would be easier that way and my house maid?

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.