Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Popo watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Right, the popo (police) pull you over and ask for your licence. Luckily you've passed so it's all good. But, you haven't insurance on the car you're driving and the police ask you to provide the producer whatch-ma-call-it at your local police station within the next two weeks or so.

Is there anyway, whatsoever, one can get circumvent this somewhat sticky predicament?

All suggestions welcome.

Thanks

N.B- No comments like "You shouldn't be driving without insurance in the first place" please. Thank-you.

ReputationRep:
    All I can say is I hope they give you a hefty fine and ban you for 3 years cos your a ****!!!

ReputationRep:
    I am not sure what you're expecting. Driving without insurance is ilegal and imoral so you deserve to have the book thrown at you.

You're looking at a ban and a fine, in some cases a jail sentance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by big_pd)
    All I can say is I hope they give you a hefty fine and ban you for 3 years cos your a ****!!!
    Who said it was me? The OP was entirely hypothetical.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    I am not sure what you're expecting. Driving without insurance is ilegal and imoral so you deserve to have the book thrown at you.

You're looking at a ban and a fine, in some cases a jail sentance.

Yet again; unwarranted false presumptions.

Thanks for your input, by the way.

ReputationRep:
    I think checking for uninsured drivers is one of the points of these checks, and if everything's in order it shouldn't be too much of a problem so I really doubt there is a way out.

ReputationRep:
    well, you couldve lied about having your driving licence, and got the owner of the car to go to the police station to produce ID and insurance? i dunno if that woul dwork though...

OR, if you had friends in high places in insurance companies, then im sure they can backdate insurance. maybe.

ReputationRep:
    Why's everyone assuming that I've been pulled over?

I know that's one of the initial inferences one could elicit from my opening post, but I don't like it when people assume without thorough substantiation. (I know, I asked for it!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dimez)
    Why's everyone assuming that I've been pulled over?

I know that's one of the initial inferences one could elicit from my opening post, but I don't like it when people assume without thorough substantiation. (I know, I asked for it!)
    when i say 'you', i mean 'one'. you just is more natural to my mind...

ReputationRep:
    Didn't think my post assumed you had been :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CurlyBen)
    Didn't think my post assumed you had been :confused:
    Huh? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    You said "Why's everyone assuming that I've been pulled over?" - I didn't think I had. Doesn't matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CurlyBen)
    You said "Why's everyone assuming that I've been pulled over?" - I didn't think I had. Doesn't matter.
    OK.

:confused:

ReputationRep:
    You would have the book thrown at you, and rightly so

ReputationRep:
    If one pleaded and maybe made a deal with an insurance company very quickly after the alleged event taking place then one may get away with it. However this is unlikely.

One would be better of 'fessing up and hoping to get leniancy (sorry sp) from the police, or saying not guilty and getting a solicitor. Unfortunatly in this circumstance one is likely to lose a they were caught red handed really and would be a waste of money and time.

Unfortunately this is one area where if you get caught you can't really get of a punishment. Besides one would be foolish to drive without insurance as it is dangerous, not fair on other drivers and illegal. Although at the same time, the fine is £200 and 3 points which is substantially less than an insurance premium and the likelihood of you getting caught as long as you drive sensibly in a non boy racer/unmod'ed car is fairly slim...

Graham

ReputationRep:
    Well its people like that who make our insurance so bloody expensive in the first place.

I hope whoever it is gets a severe punishment, and i also cannot believe you are effectively asking if s/he can worm out of it, doesn't deserve to, and gets no sympathy from me!

ReputationRep:
    One word...

...SCREWED...

...whoever it might be.

ReputationRep:
    Yup, and half the problem lies with people like these. Realistically, with no insurance they aren't likely to have tax or a license (possibly).

So if they get banned, do we really expect them to stop driving? I doubt it, because they simply do not care.

ReputationRep:
    In the US, you have to carry a copy of the policy/proof of insurance with you in the car at all times. There's a specific little sheet of paper you keep in the glove box that has all the details. You also have to carry your drivers license with you at all time, which has your photo. Cops know right there and then if you've got insurance and if you are who you say you are. If everything is not in order, they issue you a $600 fine.

Do people have to carry their license with them here? I've never really understood how it works. If you just go out and borrow your friend's car, which you're not insured under, or even worse, you don't even have a license, can't your friend just go to the station and say it was him?

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if it's still the case, but I seem to remember that in Australia, when you buy their version of Road Tax, you automatically get 3rd Party Insurance cover.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 13, 2006
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.