Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have an offer from the KCL for Mathematics with Management and Finance. And I am not sure what to pick. I have also got offers from

Bristol: Econ + Management
    Bath: Int. Management with French
    St. Andrews: Econ. with Management

and I donno which is better. Is there anyone who is taking any of those. Could you tell me a little about em. I am having a hard time choosing btw. Bath, Kings and St. Andrews. Which is rated better? Which one would you pick? Which one are the employers more likely to pick?
    Appreciate it.
    Dee

ReputationRep:
    I am in kings doing maths degree, it sucks ass... I will admit im lazy but, teaching is horrible. Only the really really bright students will have any idea whats going on >.<....

ReputationRep:
    thnx, that helps!! I guess, Im not going to London no more.

ReputationRep:
    Don't let one person's opinions sway you so much WakeUpKid!

I'm not saying plorf's opinions aren't valuable, but at every uni there are many people who hate their course - there are usually far more that love it,,, try and get more information

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren18)
    Don't let one person's opinions sway you so much WakeUpKid!

I'm not saying plorf's opinions aren't valuable, but at every uni there are many people who hate their course - there are usually far more that love it,,, try and get more information
    You are right Lauren18. However, I've been asking around for a while and plorf simply said, what I was already thinking. Compared to the other unis Kings Math isnt even top 20 in the rankings.

Thanx, for your comments.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I totally agree with Lauren18.

I actually quite like the course so far. The work is difficult and you could perhaps argue that the lecturers feel that their research interests are far more important than teaching but it's not as if the work they give us is impenetrably hard. They do try at least to make you understand their material. If you make the effort to speak to the lecturers about any concerns, they will be more than willing to provide as much help and support as you want them to.

It's a Maths degree! One of the most challenging degrees out there! It's not gonna be easy. The guy needs to take into consideration the fact that a Maths degree is not a walk in the park. The more you understand the course material, the more you see that the stuff they do teach you is interesting. You really need to knuckle down and focus. First you say you're lazy and then you complain about not understanding material on the course.

King's is not a bad place and the course certainly does not 'suck ass', as long as you're willing to put in the work.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest with you, King's is as good as those on that list. However, that's not to say King's is good (in an objective sense). The reason is that the progression is very slow. For instance, from the 1st year to the 2nd year, we have Linear Methods ---> Linear Algebra, Numbers and Functions ---> Analysis I, Abstract Algebra ---> Number Theory and so on. If you were to compare the content, you do find that the course is not as intense as 'top' Mathematics departements require. What I mean is, not enough is introduced. In this respect, I beg to differ with anyone that states they learn the same level of content as other universities. This view can easily be rubbished by comparing the courses HOLISTICALLY (not in any one year) of KCL to, say, Cambridge, Oxford, UCL, Warwick etc. I assure you, you will find there is a more rapid introduction of new ideas, of which the complexity increases through the course/year.

Of course, if you don't look for that in a degree, come to King's.

ReputationRep:
    Don't let any one person sway you, but do let Hich ^ sway you more than most others

ReputationRep:
    i really wanna do this course, however my brothers at bath and bath to me looks by far to be the best for subjects and social life. tbh though, uni is wot u make it.

ReputationRep:
    Im currently in kings studying this course, and I'm in my 2nd year. To be honest, only a few of the lecturers are good, and so far I've only had one good tutor that actually teaches us how to do all the questions and how to answer them in the exam; most of them either just writes down the solutions on the board OR goes around the classroom waiting for you to ask which questions are required to be explained.
    The course I wouldn't say is really enjoyable since
    1st year, you'd have 8 COMPULSORY modules (not much freedom there but hey it's a mathematics course)
    2nd year, you'd get 7 compulsory and 1 optional, and guess what, all the exams were cramped up in 3 weeks, we all nearly died that week (but look this is not the maths department's fault, they have no say in the exam timing, this is the exam office's fault right there)
    3rd year you'd get 5 compulsory and 3 optional.

How you manage to cope from year to year, really depends on your previous lecturer, since for most of the courses, the only reading material we would receive are lecture notes. We have class tests for most of the modules in year 1, which account for 15% of the total grade of the module (3 class tests, 5% each)

if you are prepared for a course that's very exam orientated go ahead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aslongasiamalive)
    Im currently in kings studying this course, and I'm in my 2nd year. To be honest, only a few of the lecturers are good, and so far I've only had one good tutor that actually teaches us how to do all the questions and how to answer them in the exam; most of them either just writes down the solutions on the board OR goes around the classroom waiting for you to ask which questions are required to be explained.
    The course I wouldn't say is really enjoyable since
    1st year, you'd have 8 COMPULSORY modules (not much freedom there but hey it's a mathematics course)
    2nd year, you'd get 7 compulsory and 1 optional, and guess what, all the exams were cramped up in 3 weeks, we all nearly died that week (but look this is not the maths department's fault, they have no say in the exam timing, this is the exam office's fault right there)
    3rd year you'd get 5 compulsory and 3 optional.

How you manage to cope from year to year, really depends on your previous lecturer, since for most of the courses, the only reading material we would receive are lecture notes. We have class tests for most of the modules in year 1, which account for 15% of the total grade of the module (3 class tests, 5% each)

if you are prepared for a course that's very exam orientated go ahead.
    Haha, the thread starter has probably already graduated since this question was asked 5 years ago But it's helpful anyway

ReputationRep:
    sorry..i kinda just realised after i posted but oh well

ReputationRep:
    this bachelor looks verry well concepted for those who want to study finance because there is a good mix between economics modules and maths modules when look at the other universities most of the bachelors are too much "economic orientend" or too much "maths oriented" So if you want to work in the finance sector this bachelor is perfect.
    The University has also increased its entry requirements, now you need to get AAA to be accepted which means that the university is more and more selective

ReputationRep:
    Hey man, I'm thinking of applying to that course... CAN YOU PLEASE TELL ME what your predicted grades were ? It says AAA and A in Maths. Is it realistic ? Hoping for a quick answer...

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.