Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'd really appreciate it if anyone could give me some advice on how likely it is that I will get a place at Shackleton.

My situation is slightly different from most other applicants as I was actually at Uni until December 2005, I was asked to withdraw from my course as I was a bit of a naughty student. :cool:

Anyway, I've been given an unconditional offer to return in September as I've already got all my A-levels. I was at Mason Hall until September, but next year I really wanna be at Shackleton. If I emphasise on my form that I really want to be at Shack do ya think I'll get a place there as the uni don't have to wait for me to get any A-levels, I can send my AS12 form off before May 31st aswell.

In other words will I be at more of an advantage in getting my accomodation preferance than current A-level students who will have to wait until August to confirm they are coming to Birmingham.

Thanks in advance if anyone can give me some info.

ReputationRep:
    Cant you just write all over the accomedation form "Please let me be in shackleton!!" I did the same, albeit for Tennis Courts!

ReputationRep:
    LOL!! I would do that if its guaranteed to work, but do they pay any attention to stuff like that? I know people who emphasised all sorts of stuff on the form and didn't get it.

I was thinking more along the lines that I have an unconditional offer and I don't have to wait for any grades in the summer and whether this will help me get the accomodation I want.

ReputationRep:
    thb, i think its just luck. i wrote shackleton down on my form in loads of places but ended up in tennis courts instead.

...at least you know you won't be ending up in mason.

ReputationRep:
    lol, i'm in a similar situation to you, got my a levels last year, but not going till next september - wasn't naughty though, just wanted a break (ooh what did you do?!) Anyway, i really wanna be in shackleton aswell, i suppose we're in a better position because they can guarantee we'll be there, but i dunno? I did write a little 'please put me in Shackleton' at the end, but didn't wanna over do it, in case it just annoyed them! Anyway, fingers crossed that we'll both get in there!

ReputationRep:
    to be honest, it's all down to chance, within reason.

and i've always thought, if you were one of the admin guys who decides who gets which accomodation, after a while you're gonna get really tired of everyone *telling* you on their forms where they should be put. so if you're gonna do it, try not to be too annoying. avoid begging.

ETA: just read previous post! sorry for basically saying the same thing!

ReputationRep:
    thb, i think its just luck. i wrote shackleton down on my form in loads of places but ended up in tennis courts instead.
    Isn't Tennis Court self-catered though? Shackletons fully catered, surely if you emphasised on your form that you needed catered accom they would have put you in Shack or even Mason. I think I might die if I don't get catered facilities as I can't survive without me mams cookin' :p: I need people to make food for me!!! Surely if someone has cooking skills as pathetic as mine the selectors wouldn't be sadistic enough to stick me in a self-catered hall.

lol, i'm in a similar situation to you, got my a levels last year, but not going till next september - wasn't naughty though, just wanted a break (ooh what did you do?!) Anyway, i really wanna be in shackleton aswell, i suppose we're in a better position because they can guarantee we'll be there, but i dunno? I did write a little 'please put me in Shackleton' at the end, but didn't wanna over do it, in case it just annoyed them! Anyway, fingers crossed that we'll both get in there!
    When did ya apply for your accomodation?? Did you send off the form last year when you were doing your A-levels, cus if ya did surely you would have heard from them by now, I know unis are slow, but thats ridiculous LOL!! Or did you apply more recently?? Maybe if we both get into Shack I can tell ya why I got kicked out last year!!

ReputationRep:
    haha, you seem hilarious, also are you from up north by the way? Erm, no they're not that slow, lol, i sent it off this year, but really early on though, so dunno when i'll hear back. when did you send yours off? Ooh really hope we both get into Shack more now - i'm so intregued!! Are you actually an MC btw?

ReputationRep:
    LOL, no I'm not from up North, but I do love me mams cookin!! :eating: I was actually eating a Yorkshire pudding when I made that post so the accent sorta slipped out.

For some stupid reason I haven't actually sent my form off yet, but I will definately get it in before the 31st May deadline. They've got these evil bullet points on the website that say they can't guarantee accomodation to people who miss this date........:deal:
    When I applied last year I sent the form off in late August/early September which probably explains why I got stuck in Mason, but I loved it there, the atmosphere was amazing, it was like a 3 month party. :cheers:

The facilities at Shack are quality though, I had a few mates there aswell, they all had en-suite rooms with full internet-connection, Mason was like a Youth Offenders Unit from the 1970's in comparison, no suprise they're tearing it down.
    Are you actually an MC btw?
    LOL, I think my name gives it away a bit!! :hmmmm:
    I only mc over jungle/drum & bass, and I probably spent a little too much time doing it while I was at uni rather than studying, which is probably why I got my arse kicked outta there!! Some people just don't appreciate how important music is!!
    :musicus:

If we both get into Shackleton I can guarantee you won't stop laughin' for a year, its mad livin' in halls. I still go down and see all my mates at the Vale, can't wait to go back in September.

ReputationRep:
    i know quite a few jungle/drum n base MCers - was well into drum n base raves a while ago. So where are you from then? OOoooh, i can't wait to go too! It's literally all i've thought about for the past year - i know i'm gonna be bricking it nearer the time but i'm so excited to start!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mc_sekurity)
    Isn't Tennis Court self-catered though? Shackletons fully catered, surely if you emphasised on your form that you needed catered accom they would have put you in Shack or even Mason. I think I might die if I don't get catered facilities as I can't survive without me mams cookin' :p: I need people to make food for me!!! Surely if someone has cooking skills as pathetic as mine the selectors wouldn't be sadistic enough to stick me in a self-catered hall.
    isnt mason being knocked down? the people who were living there had to move out at the end of last term. and some on tennis courts is catered - i live there and am catered, only 4 out of 21 blocks are catered though. theres loads of places for catered, so i think theres a good chance you'll get it. i think i heard that theres 3000 students who are catered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellyjacobs15)
    isnt mason being knocked down? the people who were living there had to move out at the end of last term. and some on tennis courts is catered - i live there and am catered, only 4 out of 21 blocks are catered though. theres loads of places for catered, so i think theres a good chance you'll get it. i think i heard that theres 3000 students who are catered.
    Tis true, that number is about right. Oh and all you people wanting to be catered, remember that on weekends you have to cook your own food anyway. And remember, that in year 2, 3 and possibly 4 and 5 if your course lasts that long, you will have to cook for yourself :p: it's just delaying the inevetable...

Also, shackleton food is crap. Though i probably shouldnt say that, working there and all...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davestones)
    Tis true, that number is about right. Oh and all you people wanting to be catered, remember that on weekends you have to cook your own food anyway. And remember, that in year 2, 3 and possibly 4 and 5 if your course lasts that long, you will have to cook for yourself :p: it's just delaying the inevetable...

Also, shackleton food is crap. Though i probably shouldnt say that, working there and all...
    shack food isn't that bad!! all hail rios paninis and hot chocolates with marshmallows and creeeeeeeam! yeh, some of the stuff can be a bit "interesting" and occaisionally minging but they do a great pizza! better value than if you had to cook stuff every night i reckons.

ReputationRep:
    shack food isn't that bad!! all hail rios paninis and hot chocolates with marshmallows and creeeeeeeam! yeh, some of the stuff can be a bit "interesting" and occaisionally minging but they do a great pizza! better value than if you had to cook stuff every night i reckons.
    Hehe, guess my outlook is frosted as I have seen what goes on in the kitchens and heard the tales of illness etc

I spend £15 a week on food in my lovely little dirty selly oak house

ReputationRep:
    Shackleton only houses 350 students.....so the odds aren't that good for getting in there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by richardw)
    Shackleton only houses 350 students.....so the odds aren't that good for getting in there
    There is more than shackleton that is catered though. I think the official capacity for Fusion is up around 600. I think the actual stat is something like ~3000 evening meals are served a week, which would make more sense.

ReputationRep:
    Well wit risk that I am now gonna repeat a lost of stuff that you have all already said, I have to agree with some that it is mostly just luck that will get you in any accomodation! I really don't think that begging helps alot. On the other side I think that if you give them a good reason why you should be placed at a specific hall they might listen and abide!

Well good luck to you all and see you at Bham!

chill y'all
    /9mm

ReputationRep:
    i know quite a few jungle/drum n base MCers - was well into drum n base raves a while ago. So where are you from then?
    I'm from Birmingham, but officially my local council is Sandwell (North-West Birmingham), which makes it easier for me to get into halls as I don't really live that close to the Uni. The Drum n Bass scene is massive in Brum and it makes a refreshing change to the same hip-hop/r&b tunes that are repeated at Risa, The Works etc. every weeknight on Broad Street.

Also, how much better would Bar One be on a friday/saturday night if they got a decent DJ in there, is it only me who finds dancing to the Baywatch theme tune very embarrasing!!! (for those that don't know, Bar One is the bar at Shackleton).

True, but I know loadsa people who are living at Shack and didn't even emphasise it on their forms, I think at the end of the day if you put down that you want en-suite/catered they will try and put you in Shackleton, its the most expensive place which would probably put a lot of people off. I'm sure more people want to get into Tennis Court or Chelwood than Shackleton.

ReputationRep:
    True, but I know loadsa people who are living at Shack and didn't even emphasise it on their forms, I think at the end of the day if you put down that you want en-suite/catered they will try and put you in Shackleton, its the most expensive place which would probably put a lot of people off. I'm sure more people want to get into Tennis Court or Chelwood than Shackleton.
    Yeah I think you've got it spot on there.

ReputationRep:
    Also, how much better would Bar One be on a friday/saturday night if they got a decent DJ in there, is it only me who finds dancing to the Baywatch theme tune very embarrasing!!! (for those that don't know, Bar One is the bar at Shackleton).
    embarrassment goes after a few drinks; people love it really. although an evening of urban music with tempo (i.e. garage and anything faster) would be great, people generally can't handle it. there's a big big event next friday.. raveology.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.