Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Planning meals watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    To those students who went self-catered, how hard was it to plan meals for yourself for the weak?

I know i can cook fine, its just i'm not sure if I could get the ideas of what i want to eat.

Get the feeling i'm going to end up with pizza or meat, bread and cheese for most of my meals. Doesnt really help that i'm a fussy eater of course...

Anyone feel like typing out a rough idea of what they've had over the last week?

ReputationRep:
    It depends what kinda food you eat anyway...whether you're into the "microwave for 5 minutes" or "fill with boiling water and leave for 30 seconds". I cook most of my stuff from scratch but sometimes if you've had a long day you just can't be bothered.

I have coco pops for brekkie every day, lunch is usually soup or maybe a jacket potato (assuming I'm home for lunch which I'm not usually) then something with pasta or chicken for dinner.

ReputationRep:
    When I'm at uni I have toast or shreddies for breakfast. Then lunch is things like a sandwich and some fruit or some ryvita or baked beans on toast or noodles or anything like that. Dinner is stuff like buger and chips or a roast (just with grillsteaks instead of real meat :p: ) or sausges and pasta or sausages and gravy or chicken nuggets with jacket potato. Basic stuff like that. I'm not a very good cook and I dont spend much on food - about £15 a week or less. But I like what I have and it fills me up so its all good

ReputationRep:
    then something with pasta or chicken for dinner.
    So basically its more or less the same thing every night? Suits me then, dont mind repetition

How about cooking with flatmates? Is it common to make one big load of food and share it, or do individual stuff?

ReputationRep:
    Again it depends! A couple of my flatmates cook together, the rest of us do it seperately because we have different schedules and aren't usually home at the same time. The two who cook together are very partial to those frozen chicken bits from Iceland (not my cup of tea - ewww). And you can do variety with pasta...you just have to be creative.

Failing that head down the Union for a liquid dinner

ReputationRep:
    Mmm, liquid dinner! Will have to remember that

ReputationRep:
    i've found sharing the cooking with someone else means i eat much better quality food & make more of an effort with the cooking... definitely recommendable!
    although what we eat from week to week quite often depends on the specials in sainsbury's. :p:

lots of pasta/rice for evening meals (I'm a big fan) - he makes really good curries - if you buy a range of spices they can last for ever & make boring meat much more exciting. I'm less exotic - normally make bolognaise/lasagne/carbonara or pasta bakes. we also stir fry quite a bit - noodles are so quick & easy. & do a roast at least once a week with trimmings. fish from time to time. if bored of pasta then home made potato wedges or gratin potatoes are yummy. if we're not too busy then make a crumble/cake for dessert or buy something indulgent!

lunch is usually jacket potato/filled twice baked potatoes/soup/toasties/pizza/those stuffed pasta things/pasties.

breakfast i don't usually bother with - but sometimes DIY pancakes & waffles or an english at the weekend.

ReputationRep:
    That sounds like a pretty nice idea Elles! How does the roast go down? I was thinking I would be popular at uni as i can do a roast

ReputationRep:
    Meals don't usually need much planning. I usually cook from scratch and cook whatever I'm in the mood for or whatever I happen to still have in my cupboards. However, I would suggest being organised when you go food-shopping. I usually spend less than £10 a week on food but I have one of the most varied meals in my flat.

ReputationRep:
    i love doing a roast dinner it tastes soooo gud. i buy a chicken n then use it for my sarnies in the week and a stir fry the next day, works out nice and cheap. i dont plan meals as such, just eat what i feel like that day cus sainsburys is on the way home from uni.

ReputationRep:
    i too am a very fussy eater, and i am also lazy, and prone to having an appaling diet at uni. my entire first semseter i ate only toast and marmite, and teh second semester i moved on to crunchy nut. i tried to make more of an effort in the second year and tried more chicken and stuff. i always have lots of fruit as well. it's hard to plan. i am a good cook but i just cant be bothered to go to all that effort to cook for one person so i am always tempted to bung a slice of bread in the toaster and call it dinner. my mum gets very upset about this and tries to make me write lists before i go shopping with a meal for each day. but i dont do it. its good to have some staples in your cupboard like lentils, chop up some onion and garlic, make a broth and voila, a wholesome meal. and keep some lean mince or chicken breast in the freezer. one of my old flatmates had loads of cookbooks with exciting things like veggie burgers and chicken and leek pie (i think this was a jamie oliver one, it is delicious) that she always made for us, and sometimes one of us would cook for everyone. that solves my problem of not wanting to cook for one which feels like a waste of effort sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really plan what I cook, I just go with what I fancy eating.
    I keep plenty pasta, rice, chicken fillets, etc. around, and the odd other thing like burgers, or kebabs, or curries and just shove whatever I feel like in the oven

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princessa)
    i too am a very fussy eater, and i am also lazy, and prone to having an appaling diet at uni. my entire first semseter i ate only toast and marmite
    Wow. my staple diet tends to be marmite on toast and if im feeling lazy then that is dinner lol. you sound just like me, i thought i was the only one!

ReputationRep:
    Marmite on toast..... I love you both

ReputationRep:
    Planning meals

hmmm

Looks at Microwave to see when it goes pinggggg

ReputationRep:
    hey, no1s mentioned the sizzle and stir things or the sauces where u just buy the meat, cook and add the sauce, u can get curries, sweet and sour etc etc
    (sorry if any1 has mentioned it...i scan read the thread)
    xx

ReputationRep:
    ^^ That sounds interesting.....

Another question though, what foods are "shared" between the people in the self-catered flat? Bread? Milk? Butter?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bullyfish)
    ^^ That sounds interesting.....

Another question though, what foods are "shared" between the people in the self-catered flat? Bread? Milk? Butter?
    We dont really have communal food. If you need milk or butter you ask/take. Although im luck in teh sense that all my flatmates are actually friends, rather than jjust people who live next door. We don't care, your flat may be different.. it'll all become obvious, usually without even needing to talk about it.

ReputationRep:
    The only advice I can offer to to make sure you eat properly, ie, cook from scratch when you can, bit of fruit, bit of veg, etc., - in the first year my diet was horrendous, all frozen pizzas and chocolate digestives, and I came home for the summer a stone and a half heavier and a tad depressed....

Luckily I've lost all the weight now and needless to say I worked much harder at meal planning in the second year... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Ok, thankyou all!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.