Amon.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
Do you think it would be possible to change the way that "racist people" think?

I don't mean people who some times make anti-semetic comments or some racist comment, but I mean people who would like to/do really go "paki-bashing", or send razors to people by mail or something else like that.

1) do you think its possible to change this?
2) how would you do it?
Agent Smith
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Lobotomy.
Paul Bedford
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think most of those sorts of people are not racists, I think they are dysfunctional.
People who make the odd racist comment, or are aware of racial or cultural differences, are understandable.
People who feel that there is some erosion of thier culture, or nation, for racial reasons, are understandable.
People who get angry because of the above are understandable.
Agree with them or not there is some rational basis to their argument.
However people who send razorblades etc. through the post are usually just sick.
Atomik
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by EastMidlander)
However people who send razorblades etc. through the post are usually just sick.
I agree. Some people would call me a racist person, but I would never condone any forms of violence on non-white people. Nobody deserves to get beaten for the colour of their skin.
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Amon.)
Do you think it would be possible to change the way that "racist people" think?

I don't mean people who some times make anti-semetic comments or some racist comment, but I mean people who would like to/do really go "paki-bashing", or send razors to people by mail or something else like that.

1) do you think its possible to change this?
2) how would you do it?
I see you waste no time loading this thread with generalization by reference to "paki-bashing" obviously implying that only white people "bash" people of other ethnicity and send them razer blades as gifts.

You are a very short sighted and deluded young man.
Amon.
Rep:
?
(Original post by Howard)
I see you waste no time loading this thread with generalization by reference to "paki-bashing" obviously implying that only white people "bash" people of other ethnicity and send them razer blades as gifts.

You are a very short sighted and deluded young man.
:rolleyes: I'm white!

it was an example, sorry. I could say "paki-bashing or cracker-bashing" if your prefer?
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Amon.)
:rolleyes: I'm white!

it was an example, sorry. I could say "paki-bashing or cracker-bashing" if your prefer?
I don't care what color you are. It was an outrageous example and I am deeply offended by your sweeping generalizations.
Amon.
Rep:
?
WHAT?!

:eek:
SolInvictus
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Howard, calm down. Its not good for your blood pressure at your age.
Iago
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Amon didn't make any generalisations, sweeping or not. He gave a particular example of racism, and a perfectly valid one at that.
Lawz-
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I think Howard's joking. Otherwise it would be the first time I have ever seen him offended
Amon.
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lawz-)
I think Howard's joking. Otherwise it would be the first time I have ever seen him offended
he is an idiot if he is.

back to the question?
Chumbaniya
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Firstly, if Howard's not joking, I'm slightly worried.

But on the topic - I agree with the other posters that the kind of people who try and bestow physical or mental harm on people because of race are twisted (or maybe mentally ill) - not your typical racists. Most people who have racial prejudices would not want to hurt people of other races, even if they do prefer certain races over others. The kind of people who would harm people based on race would probably find some other reason to harm certain people based on other grounds if people of different races weren't available to abuse, so I imagine it's not that racism makes them violent, it's the opposite; they're violent people and racism is their excuse to pick people to be violent to.

I'm very much against racism, but I know full well that most people whom I would consider racist would not stoop to actually attacking people on racial grounds.
poltroon
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
The problem with your example is that the violence deployed is not necessarily closely tied to the racial background of the victims. In other words, as the poster above suggests, the problem lies in the violent dispostions of the perpetrators rather than in them harbouring (ostensible?) racist views.
dead man's shoes
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
it's easy. has no one seen american history x? what a profound film. take your highly intelligent, hardline racist/ neo/nazi thinker and writer (ed norton.) All that has to happen is, he goes to prison, meets caricature of a wise-cracking/ benevolent black dude/ uncle remus figure (if older, played by morgan freeman), realises blacks are people too and he was wrong all those years and wasted all that time and energy like a silly sod, and hey presto, problem solved!
OppressedMass
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
If we change racists, who will there be to laugh at?
Amon.
Rep:
?
(Original post by dead man's shoes)
it's easy. has no one seen american history x? what a profound film. take your highly intelligent, hardline racist/ neo/nazi thinker and writer (ed norton.) All that has to happen is, he goes to prison, meets caricature of a wise-cracking/ benevolent black dude/ uncle remus figure (if older, played by morgan freeman), realises blacks are people too and he was wrong all those years and wasted all that time and energy like a silly sod, and hey presto, problem solved!
then his brother is murdered by a black so he changes back?

(Original post by Chumbaniya)
But on the topic - I agree with the other posters that the kind of people who try and bestow physical or mental harm on people because of race are twisted (or maybe mentally ill) - not your typical racists. Most people who have racial prejudices would not want to hurt people of other races, even if they do prefer certain races over others. The kind of people who would harm people based on race would probably find some other reason to harm certain people based on other grounds if people of different races weren't available to abuse, so I imagine it's not that racism makes them violent, it's the opposite; they're violent people and racism is their excuse to pick people to be violent to.

I'm very much against racism, but I know full well that most people whom I would consider racist would not stoop to actually attacking people on racial grounds.
So what do you suggest that people do with those racist people?
dead man's shoes
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Amon.)
then his brother is murdered by a black so he changes back?
I can't tell if your ruthlessly literal teutonic soul registered the sarcasm on my post or not.
Amon.
Rep:
?
(Original post by dead man's shoes)
I can't tell if your ruthlessly literal teutonic soul registered the sarcasm on my post or not.
partly :p:

(I couldn't totally tell if you were being sarcastic tbh)
Chumbaniya
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Amon.)
So what do you suggest that people do with those racist people?
You mean the violent kind? Send them to prison, they're criminals just like any other. If they're mentally ill rather than just violent, obviously it would be psychiatric help rather than prison, but either way action should be taken if violent acts are being commited.

As for the non-violent racists, there's nothing to do except try and change their minds if they're not actually doing any to hurt people of different races or discriminating against them in a punishable way.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's stopping you doing a masters?

It's too expensive (59)
23.79%
My career doesn't need one (33)
13.31%
I'm sick of studying (50)
20.16%
I can't find a course I want to do (6)
2.42%
I don't know enough about them (17)
6.85%