defnek
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
I was just wondering, how good do you need to be at maths/physics to be a warfare (surface and sub) officer in the navy (i got a b at GCSE maths, but i stink at it really)? also, what exactly does a logistics officer do (day to day)?
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
If you have the basic requirements for entry then that is enough. The Navy wouldn't lower standards just to catch people out.
Gallagher
Badges: 0
Report 13 years ago
Hello

I find that when it comes to aptitude tests and also the day to day jobs of armed service personnel you do need great knowledge of maths and physics specifically the raf! That comes to a hinderence to me also because I got a b-maths and bb-double award science(which im not to good at) and i often feel wether im good enough for a raf officer because of points like this.

You always find mostly that pilots and navigators degrees are on engineering, physics, maths or aerospace enginerring
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Gallagher)
Hello

You always find mostly that pilots and navigators degrees are on engineering, physics, maths or aerospace enginerring
Rubbish!

C 'O' level maths

E 'A' level physics

17 years GD(N) - WSO in nowdays speak
Gallagher
Report 13 years ago
Hello

But did u not find it is essential for the day to day jobs to have good knowledge and also it could be the make or break for an applicant regarding the aptitude tests which is crucial nowadays and not 17 years ago because as someone from the forum said 1 in 20,000 people become pilots and the same could be said for hard thought places like 'navigator',FC and ATC.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I don't think it is significantly harder to get in now than it was 17 years ago. Someone might be able to find the stats to disprove that, but it has always been a highly selective process in which many thousands failed for every one that succeeded.

To be a successful Nav or Pilot you need nothing more than a confident and accurate facility with basic mathematics, adding, subtracting, dividing and multiplication. There is no requirement for anything other than an ability to learn basic engineering facts, nothing that would be more than decent GCSE level, AS level perhaps. Of course there is the opportunity to do a lot more than that if you choose to go for the Aerosystems course etc, but it is not run of the mill.

The difficult part is that you have to learn it first time you are shown it, and to a high degree of accuracy. This goes for all military training really, it's not designed for people that need to be told things repeatedly!
Rotters
Report 13 years ago
I've got Pilot and im pretty much usless at maths. I got B at GCSE Maths, AA at Science and an E at A Level Physics and I don't have a degree at all!

As long as you've got the apptitude, the qual's and the right attitude then why not?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why do you want to do a masters?

Great for my career (52)
35.14%
I really love the subject (41)
27.7%
I don't know what else to do (20)
13.51%
I can't get a job (8)
5.41%
My parents want me to (4)
2.7%