Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering, how good do you need to be at maths/physics to be a warfare (surface and sub) officer in the navy (i got a b at GCSE maths, but i stink at it really)? also, what exactly does a logistics officer do (day to day)?
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    If you have the basic requirements for entry then that is enough. The Navy wouldn't lower standards just to catch people out.

ReputationRep:
    Hello

I find that when it comes to aptitude tests and also the day to day jobs of armed service personnel you do need great knowledge of maths and physics specifically the raf! That comes to a hinderence to me also because I got a b-maths and bb-double award science(which im not to good at) and i often feel wether im good enough for a raf officer because of points like this.

You always find mostly that pilots and navigators degrees are on engineering, physics, maths or aerospace enginerring
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Gallagher)
    Hello

You always find mostly that pilots and navigators degrees are on engineering, physics, maths or aerospace enginerring
    Rubbish!

C 'O' level maths

E 'A' level physics

17 years GD(N) - WSO in nowdays speak

ReputationRep:
    Hello

But did u not find it is essential for the day to day jobs to have good knowledge and also it could be the make or break for an applicant regarding the aptitude tests which is crucial nowadays and not 17 years ago because as someone from the forum said 1 in 20,000 people become pilots and the same could be said for hard thought places like 'navigator',FC and ATC.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    I don't think it is significantly harder to get in now than it was 17 years ago. Someone might be able to find the stats to disprove that, but it has always been a highly selective process in which many thousands failed for every one that succeeded.

To be a successful Nav or Pilot you need nothing more than a confident and accurate facility with basic mathematics, adding, subtracting, dividing and multiplication. There is no requirement for anything other than an ability to learn basic engineering facts, nothing that would be more than decent GCSE level, AS level perhaps. Of course there is the opportunity to do a lot more than that if you choose to go for the Aerosystems course etc, but it is not run of the mill.

The difficult part is that you have to learn it first time you are shown it, and to a high degree of accuracy. This goes for all military training really, it's not designed for people that need to be told things repeatedly!

ReputationRep:
    I've got Pilot and im pretty much usless at maths. I got B at GCSE Maths, AA at Science and an E at A Level Physics and I don't have a degree at all!

As long as you've got the apptitude, the qual's and the right attitude then why not?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 13, 2006
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.