Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Not a professional PC user and was just wondering if there's anything in the small print that renders this PC a bit crap:
    Cheap eBuyer PC

Thanks!

Would it be OK for PC games and stuff? (EG: Oblivion, Rome Total War, etc)

ReputationRep:
    Wow, that PC's not bad at all for that price. The only thing really is the graphics card but it would be ample for the games you've suggested though..

regards
    --marty

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talya)
    Not a professional PC user and was just wondering if there's anything in the small print that renders this PC a bit crap:
    Cheap eBuyer PC

Thanks!

Would it be OK for PC games and stuff? (EG: Oblivion, Rome Total War, etc)
    Nothing wrong with that at all. Its actually pretty good for the price. Be aware that it doesn't come with a screen though.

For games, you would need to upgrade the graphics card. If you are intending on playing stuff like oblivion, it would cost you an extra £80-£100.

There is also this one http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/produ...duct_uid=95739 , which includes a decent graphics card (should be good enough for oblivion), but again, it doesn't include a screen.

ReputationRep:
    Can you upgrade a graphics card or are you stuck with it for life?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talya)
    Can you upgrade a graphics card or are you stuck with it for life?
    you can.

ReputationRep:
    The title says 1024MB but the specs say 512MB for RAM so you'd probably need to buy another 512MB stick.

ReputationRep:
    What will the computer be used for.
    The spec of the computer is dependant on what you plan to do with it. Gaming, Multimedia work, checking email?

Just by the inital specification the computer should be fine aslong as you dont play games. It should last you a good 2 years!

ReputationRep:
    Its socket 754 which will limit you if you decide to upgrade in the future.

Acer seem to use really bad PSU's (like all the other big brands) so that'll need to be replaced should you ever need to upgrade the CPU or graphics card.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PieMaster)
    Its socket 754 which will limit you if you decide to upgrade in the future.

Acer seem to use really bad PSU's (like all the other big brands) so that'll need to be replaced should you ever need to upgrade the CPU or graphics card.
    The other Acer I suggested above has a 939 socket which should be better in terms of future proofing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pcWizz)
    What will the computer be used for.
    The spec of the computer is dependant on what you plan to do with it. Gaming, Multimedia work, checking email?

Just by the inital specification the computer should be fine aslong as you dont play games. It should last you a good 2 years!
    Er, Checking e-mail and using message boards

I am pissed this computer costs the same as my laptop did a year ago! :bawling:
    Computer of Dreams

ReputationRep:
    Of dreams? That's a rip off. It's also not that good a computer really :P. Avoid Pentium D like the plague, AMD will keep thrashing them at least until Conroe arrives.

If I were to dream of a computer it would have a FX-60, X18000s and several GB of RAM.

ReputationRep:
    haha sounds good to me ^^.

And yeah it actually says 512mb instead of the 1gb advertised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by estel)
    Of dreams? That's a rip off. It's also not that good a computer really :P. Avoid Pentium D like the plague, AMD will keep thrashing them at least until Conroe arrives.

If I were to dream of a computer it would have a FX-60, X18000s and several GB of RAM.
    What's the best comp you can find for £800? (The top amount I'd be willing to spend)

ReputationRep:
    The cheapest computers are those that are custom built. If you really want to have high performance, for minumum price, you should consider custom building a computer yourself, or having someone else assemble it instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FPS Doug)
    The cheapest computers are those that are custom built. If you really want to have high performance, for minumum price, you should consider custom building a computer yourself, or having someone else assemble it instead.
    But I'm a girl and I can't do that stuff....:p:

Some of the computers on eBuyer are cheaper than assembling them yourself though.

Are there any websites that guide you through building your own computer? Including lists of all the components you would need? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Talya]Er, Checking e-mail and using message boards

Some of these people really don’t know what they are talking about. Talya does not need the latest graphics card, processor or a socket 939 motherboard. Why would she need that if she is just browsing the internet?

Like I said before Talya, the computer you first recommended should be fine for what you want to use it for, browsing the net and occasional word processing. If you get the system you'll probabaly expect to replace or upgrade it by mid 2008.

However I would agree that 1GB of ram is necessary these days!

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=pcWizz]
    (Original post by Talya)
    Er, Checking e-mail and using message boards

Some of these people really don’t know what they are talking about. Talya does not need the latest graphics card, processor or a socket 939 motherboard. Why would she need that if she is just browsing the internet?

Like I said before Talya, the computer you first recommended should be fine for what you want to use it for, browsing the net and occasional word processing. If you get the system you'll probabaly expect to replace or upgrade it by mid 2008.

However I would agree that 1GB of ram is necessary these days!
    She mentioned that she would be gaming on this PC. Now anyone who knows anything about PC's can tell you that RAM and GPU are the most important things when gaming is concerned. And from what I've seen people on this forum do know what they're talking about, so don't make such sweeping statements in the future please mate.

Talya: There are absolutely loads! Just type in "Building your own pc + guides" into a search engine and you should get loads of results... Have a browse through a few different sites, just so you know what you're getting yourself in for. It may seem daunting at first, but building your own PC isn't that hard. You will receive construction manuals with your components most likely anyway! Besides, if you can't do it yourself, perhaps you could purschase the components, but get someone who knows more about what they're doing to construct it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FPS Doug)
    She mentioned that she would be gaming on this PC.
    Should have made myself clearer. I won't be gaming, my bf is also trying to get a new comp and he'll be gaming. So I gather:

I can survive with more basic ~£400 computer (as long as it has 1GB RAM) but he could do with a better ~£600 system? Thanks for the advice on the building as well!

ReputationRep:
    Building your own is a surefire way to not get ripped off by companies like Dell and Packard Hell giving you an atrractive looking computer but when it comes to it... it's a bag of crap. AND it's not as difficult as it seems! As FPS Doug said, theres loads of really helpful guides on tinternet and in the manuals for the kit you get Just make sure you get one of these...

Only a couple of quid but SOOOOOO necessary. It stops the static on you from nuking your components

If you do go ahead with a self build, please, do come to us and ask us to approve the compatibility of the parts - as well as if you have any other questions about it

ReputationRep:
    ^ I don't believe i've ever used one of those and i've built a hell of a lot of computers! But yeh as Vlad said, if you need any help there's a shed load of us here to help.

regards
    --marty

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.