The Student Room Group

current first year after gap year- forgotten A levels stuff... :(

Hi

Basically after a year out of studies to take a gap year, i didnt really look over my a levels stuff like chemistry and biology, and now I've realised that the pharmacy degree just builds on top of what you already should know. So ill have to re-learn A level stuff plus the uni work on top :frown:

Anyone have any ideas on what i should do? Do you reckon the uni would go over the A level stuff and add a little of uni work on top?
Any ideas are welcome :biggrin:

Oh and ive just finished 2 weeks of welcome week, so we've not started work yet. However, we do start for proper from monday....
Reply 1
Original post by rizwan16

Relax man, they'll go over everything you need to know for the course during your first year to make sure everybody is on the same page. No doubt once things begin getting mentioned they'll come flooding back to you.

I was in the same boat, though I'd done an Access course, so I thought everyone would have this huge wealth of knowledge and I'd be the moron at the back scratching my head.

Even though there's a shared syllabus for A-Levels and other courses, they'll know that everyone will have a slightly varied collection of knowledge and will have learnt in different ways.

You'll be fine... and good luck !
My advice would be to just learn what you've been taught... that's what they will examine you on because everyone has different boards at A level anyway and learnt different things.
Reply 3
Hi

I'd definitely recommend going on chemguide and looking through the A Level chemistry on that. If you've got in to study pharmacy, you must be fairly decent at chemistry. So it shouldn't be a massive hardship browsing through that - plus it's free!

I'm on a gap year and I'm going to start consolidating A-level stuff too so I'm not too rusty. Not sure how much biology you'll be doing but the AQA Bio books for AS & A2 are pretty darn good - they explain everything really well. It might be worth investing in as they are not too expensive on Amazon (about £15).

Hope I've helped :smile: I'd also say to relax because I'm sure it'll all come back to you. You haven't even started! x

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 4
Thank you guys! Atleast my morale is high once again!! :biggrin:
Hi

Basically after a year out of studies to take a gap year, i didnt really look over my a levels stuff like chemistry and biology, and now I've realised that the pharmacy degree just builds on top of what you already should know. So ill have to re-learn A level stuff plus the uni work on top :frown:

Anyone have any ideas on what i should do? Do you reckon the uni would go over the A level stuff and add a little of uni work on top?
Any ideas are welcome :biggrin:

Oh and ive just finished 2 weeks of welcome week, so we've not started work yet. However, we do start for proper from monday....

Hey man, guessing your graduated by now, just want to ask any tips u can give me as I am in a similar scenario, taken a gap year....pretty much forgotten most of everything of A levels, *****ing myself....really

Planning to study pharmacy at Reading Uni
Reply 6
Original post by scaphrax
Hey man, guessing your graduated by now, just want to ask any tips u can give me as I am in a similar scenario, taken a gap year....pretty much forgotten most of everything of A levels, *****ing myself....really

Planning to study pharmacy at Reading Uni

Heyo, I'm graduating this year but I was in the same situation as you 4 years ago. 1st year will ease you in slowly and you have more than enough time to recap on relevant chemistry and biology from A-Level. For me, many things I'd learnt during A-Level had come back to me as I was taught it during lectures, so you won't be at a disadvantage compared with people who haven't taken a year out. The science will obviously be a step higher from A-Level so I'd advise you to find a few good textbooks to help supplement and solidify your understating of certain concepts.

If you're still concerned and you have some free time, then you could go over your basic organic chemistry (structures, bonds, electrons, orbitals etc) and basic cell biology. But as I say, you will have more that enough time to do this when you start 1st year.

So, do not worry at all and enjoy your summer :biggrin:.
Original post by Jin3011
Heyo, I'm graduating this year but I was in the same situation as you 4 years ago. 1st year will ease you in slowly and you have more than enough time to recap on relevant chemistry and biology from A-Level. For me, many things I'd learnt during A-Level had come back to me as I was taught it during lectures, so you won't be at a disadvantage compared with people who haven't taken a year out. The science will obviously be a step higher from A-Level so I'd advise you to find a few good textbooks to help supplement and solidify your understating of certain concepts.

If you're still concerned and you have some free time, then you could go over your basic organic chemistry (structures, bonds, electrons, orbitals etc) and basic cell biology. But as I say, you will have more that enough time to do this when you start 1st year.

So, do not worry at all and enjoy your summer :biggrin:.

Hey thx for the reply, just have a question. How do you recommend me to increase my chances of getting a pre-reg placement?( Work experience, shadowing? How soon to get these) I'm aware that it is actually really competitive...is a pharmacy graduate like in deep trouble or fcked if he/she does not manage to get a placement?
Reply 8
Original post by scaphrax
Hey thx for the reply, just have a question. How do you recommend me to increase my chances of getting a pre-reg placement?( Work experience, shadowing? How soon to get these) I'm aware that it is actually really competitive...is a pharmacy graduate like in deep trouble or fcked if he/she does not manage to get a placement?

Try to get as many summer placements as you can after years 1, 2 and 3. if that fails then ask independent pharmacies for work experience over the summer. This will just give you a greater insight into the inner workings of a pharmacist, however should also be supplemented by wider reading around the profession; so would be a good idea to sign up to the Pharmaceutical Journal.

Nevertheless, other experiences are as valuable as primary pharmacy experience. So if you've volunteered long-term within the community, there's a wealth of insight and experience you can bring from that when reflecting upon in on your pre-reg applications and interviews.

For me, I had NO pharmacy experience outside of uni; none when applying to study pharmacy, and none when applying for hospital pre-reg. However, I was involved in societies at uni, had a lot of non-academic interests and long-term retail experience; so I had a wealth of experience to draw upon. I made sure that I made the most out of the pharmacy experiences I had throughout uni, however limited they were. So the best advice I can give really is to be passionate, and to demonstrate that you have the required competencies and skill-sets to be a good pharmacist within your application, which can be demonstrated in a number of ways.

You have more than enough time, so I wouldn't worry about it just yet. But I would advise you to start applying for summer placements early-on when the applications open (Boots, Lloyds) and to become as involved as you can around university (societies, student helpers, student ambassadors, volunteering etc).

Sorry for the vague response, results day today and I'm nervous as hell :P.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending