The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I only spent 1 week on 'work experience in and A&E.

More importantly, I spent over 2 years as a volunteer (1 night a week) on an orthopaedics ward.
Reply 2
I did 2 weeks in a GP surgery, mostly doing reception work stuff, but sitting in on a few clinics. It was still good though, as you get to meet a lot of people and find out about how things work.

I also did a week shadowin doctors in A&E, which was fantastic experience.

As well as that I was a Young Leader with Brownies for years, and helped out at a local primary school in my holidays (I had much longer holidays than them).
Reply 3
The people above are v. right- continuous dedication and experience working with people is more valuable than a week spent shadowing a consultant.
Reply 4
I have done 1 week in a hospital (paediatrics) and 1 week with the National Blood Service (immunology and histocompatibility) which was lab work.

I have also spent a couple of years as a volunteer on a general medical ward and I pay weekly visits to a home for the physically disabled.
Reply 5
I thought the minimum is 6 weeks?????? So I can apply to uni with only 2 or 3 weeks of work experience?!
Reply 6
lovely_girl
I thought the minimum is 6 weeks?????? So I can apply to uni with only 2 or 3 weeks of work experience?!

There isn't a minimum amount of work experience needed especially as it can sometimes be quite hard to find placements. 2 or 3 weeks of work experience is definitely sufficient. It would be more important and relevant for you to take part in some long term voluntary work.
Reply 7
It's quality not quantity. The whole purpose of work ex is for you to get a feel of the career and confirm whether its for you or not - It's not simply so you can write it on your UCAS form. Following your work ex, you should be in a position to talk about (at length) what insight you have gained into the medical profession, the advantages, disads and challenges of the career, pressures etc etc
Reply 8
lovely_girl

You clearly haven't done your research looking at prospectuses and med school websites.
Reply 9
Oh, thanks for telling me now! I have looked on websites+propectuses, but they don't say exactly how much work experience we have to do....My teacher said minimum 6 weeks?!?!?
Reply 10
Triple D
People who done Medicne how many weeks of workexperience did you do and where

e.g in a GP or Hospital

THanks in advance

My mate holds offer at UCL and Leicester (she was rejected at Cams as she had bad interview I believe) and hasn't heard from Notts yet. She had done about 3wks (maybe 4) in a Hospital, had worked one afternoon a week for about 8wks at a dentists, did several more afternoons at a GP's, helped at Old people's home and also assisted at Brownies. They interviewers were generally impressed as she had done a wide range of work experience - ie. not just "in a hospital" like EVERYONE does, but had done other branches, like dentistry and particularly the old ppl's home as it showed she cld cope with areas which could be depressing.

Good Luck!
I did one week of A&E & gastrointestinal surgery, one week of cardiology and one week with my GP.

just try and do as many as you can, show ur keen. but also get stuck in at an old folks home or something to show u care....

Latest