Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ADSL and router? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I got fed up with a poor wireless network and installed a wired network. However the internet is extremelyslow on all the computers while using the router, the router has a built in ADSL modem.

When I use just the original adsl modem on one computer the speed is fine. No large files are being downloaded, no p2p nothing that I can see.

It is going so slow that some sites do not load at all. Sometimes however it is fine.

Any help out there?

(btw 2MB ADSL, only using msn and http on the computers)

ReputationRep:
    What router have you got? Some cheap ones have very slow processors so it could be that.

How much bandwidth do the other clients consume?

ReputationRep:
    Relatively expensive belkin wireless one, using the four ethernet ports on the back of the router. There's only 3 computers, and they only use the internet for msn and checking emails - that sort of stuff. Using transfering files across the network normally is about the correct speed.

ReputationRep:
    Also the internet seems to regain its speed after unplugging the routers power and then reconnecting it.

ReputationRep:
    I've found the wired performance of Belkin routers to be devine but I have no experience of Belkin ADSL speeds. However I will say that the Linksys I reviewed on my 802.11g thread is the fastest ADSL modem router I have ever used.

Have you checked all the settings for the ADSL are correct? You can get them from www.adsl-guide.org.uk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    I've found the wired performance of Belkin routers to be devine but I have no experience of Belkin ADSL speeds. However I will say that the Linksys I reviewed on my 802.11g thread is the fastest ADSL modem router I have ever used.

Have you checked all the settings for the ADSL are correct? You can get them from www.adsl-guide.org.uk
    When I set up the router the settings were all correct, there's no way that the router can forget the settings is there?

ReputationRep:
    Have you uploaded the latest firmware? That made my D-LINK behave when I was having problems with it.

I am little bit worried now as I have supplied a lot of these Belkin routers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AT82)
    Have you uploaded the latest firmware? That made my D-LINK behave when I was having problems with it.

I am little bit worried now as I have supplied a lot of these Belkin routers
    Yes last firmware is installed.

Is it possible to share ADSL like so:

1 PC connected to normal ADSL modem, 2 other PCs connected to this via hub, and using windows internet sharing utility program (what ever it's called)?

(It was the high speed belkin router by the way, the 125g or 125mb, I forget what it's called.)

ReputationRep:
    It is possible to do that, you need to use what you call a proxy server, then setup your browser to connect to that, i.e when it asks you for a proxy address.

However it won't work any better than your existing setup. There is no reason why you should be having this problem.

What connection speed are you getting at the moment?

You could also try disabeling DHCP and try manualy configuring each client.

ReputationRep:
    Check in the router configuration for the number of CRC errors up and downstream.

Try a speedtest on www.speedtest.ndo.com - if that works at full speed then it's a DNS or routing issue.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 12, 2006
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.