Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Conclusion Paragraph for Personal Study?? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Do we need to have a conlusion paragraph at the end?? Obviously it makes sense as we probably need to conclude our argument and reach a decision...

yet its not part of what my teacher told me to do, plus it would help with the word count if i didnt have to do one! :rolleyes:

what have you done?
    Thanks...

ReputationRep:
    yh conclusion is needed

its like KIND OF summarising it up, maybe with a quote from histroian and to make you final argument really stand out. the conlusion and intro are impoirtant and should be the paragraphs you kind of " show of " in as it is the 1st and last paragraph the examiner reads, and should stick into his head a bit more that the others!

ReputationRep:
    A good conclusion counts for a lot, it can make or break the personal study in a way! Also, if your conclusion is good it can let you off the hook for mistakes or other faults throughout your arguments & analysis.

Can I just add you should never ever mention something which you haven't done previously throughout your personal study! Your conclusion must bring to an end your analysis and you should make it very explicit what your final judgement is

Basically prioritize the arguments etc etc

ReputationRep:
    OK guys, well here it is!
    coursework finished (without conclusion) word count is 3,841! :mad:

looks like any conclusion im going to do will push me into the 4,000's.
    its not so bad though, i reckon i can cut down my words mainly from the begenning (i waffled on about terror a bit)...

How far over the word count of 3000 were/are you guys?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, of course you need a conclusion! seeing as you're that ahead over the word limit then i suppose you could afford to put in a small, concise, "breath-taking" conclusion. without it, the essay will just seem unfinished. As both liverpool and Daintyduck said, you neeed it!
    If you can cut down some words to prevent waffling or blablaing then do it. Make sure you read it out loud because then you can see that if you're getting bored, the examiner will get bored, which means that you'll need to brush up that point and make it more effective. Reading it out loud to yourself also helps in listening to any grammatical mistakes or phrasing etc.
    A conclusion shouldnt really summarise, it should make a point and directly answer the question. I dont know your title, but you should give a simple and straightforward answer to the question stating what you believe (provided your whole essay is actually showing that you believe the anwer is yes/no or whatever it is). Adding a quote from a historian is also good..
    I didnt do history cswk so i cant tell you about the word count if they penalize or not how much you go over it (im sure your teacher could answer that for you..) I can speak from experience of doing my lit cswk, i was over the limit by about 600-700 words and im not penalised for it because everything is needed in it and cutting it down would make my argument weak etc

good luck with it though x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student_kyle)
    How far over the word count of 3000 were/are you guys?
    I was at about 3650 but my teacher said we absolutely couldn't go over 3500 so I cut some waffle out and got down to 3361. You need a conclusion to qualify for the marks for a well-structured argument and clear and sustained judgement, so i'd definitely include one.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 15, 2006
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.