Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How do these to compare in terms of difficulty? Which is harder and by how much?

http://www.kalva.demon.co.uk/imo.html IMO

http://www.mathsexams.ukteachers.com/STEP/

ReputationRep:
    The IMO easily puts STEP to shame. :p:

IMO requires a considerable amount of study of a different type of Maths to even attempt the questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dvs)
    The IMO easily puts STEP to shame. :p:
    thank god- they were worrying me!

Is there anything comparable with STEP that i could use for practice, apart from the STEP past papers? Ive been trying to find the singaporean S papers but i couldnt.

ReputationRep:
    IMO is by far harder than the STEP. I can solve a great deal of STEP problems, but only manage a very few from the IMO.

The Chinese qualification contest(s) for the IMO is allegedly even harder than the IMO, by the way, which should make it the hardest contest in the world in maths for students of that age.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by futureaussiecto)

Is there anything comparable with STEP that i could use for practice, apart from the STEP past papers? Ive been trying to find the singaporean S papers but i couldnt.

http://www.kalva.demon.co.uk/

Edit: oh, which is the same as given in the original post. Bah. Anyhows, you'll be able to find good problems there.

Also, I had a like 50 pages booklet somewhere with STEP problems. I found it on the net somewhere.

ReputationRep:

Maybe some olympiad papers, like the BMO. Even if they don't directly help you do better on the STEP, they're still excellent problem-solving practice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dvs)
    Maybe some olympiad papers, like the BMO. Even if they don't directly help you do better on the STEP, they're still excellent problem-solving practice.

BMO more comparable to STEP in terms of difficulty then?

ie

Not as hard.........................Har d

STEP BMO...........................IM O

ReputationRep:
    This booklet contains STEP style questions (many of then taken from actual STEP papers) with full working and comments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YYYY)
    This booklet contains STEP style questions (many of then taken from actual STEP papers) with full working and comments.
    doesnt work- the link :p:

ReputationRep:
    BMO more comparable to STEP in terms of difficulty then?

ie

Not as hard.........................Har d

STEP BMO...........................IM O
    I would agree with the ordering on that scale.
    AFAIK BMO/IMO require knowledge beyond the A level Maths/Further Maths course. STEP is supposed to test A level knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    doesnt work- the link :p:
    :hmmmm: I'll try and fix it.

ReputationRep:
    Link should work now. I had somehow inserted an extra space in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YYYY)
    Link should work now. I had somehow inserted an extra space in it.
    ah yes i found that book on the cam site too! very good. havent read it all yet- but will do!

ReputationRep:
    I'm working my way through that book. Currently on Q41. By the way, what year are you in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YYYY)
    I'm working my way through that book. Currently on Q41. By the way, what year are you in?
    i finished my a levels......... mickey mouse a levels and decided i wanted to do some proper qualifications, so im in my 2nd year of those. year 15?? although i do have 6.5 a levels come june..... however had i been pushed properly in a good school i could have had 12 a levels in 4 years of 6 in 2 years.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 12, 2006
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.