futureaussiecto
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 13 years ago
How do these to compare in terms of difficulty? Which is harder and by how much?

http://www.kalva.demon.co.uk/imo.html IMO

http://www.mathsexams.ukteachers.com/STEP/
dvs
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
The IMO easily puts STEP to shame. :p:
Kolya
Badges: 15
Report 13 years ago
IMO requires a considerable amount of study of a different type of Maths to even attempt the questions.
futureaussiecto
Rep:
?
(Original post by dvs)
The IMO easily puts STEP to shame. :p:
thank god- they were worrying me!

Is there anything comparable with STEP that i could use for practice, apart from the STEP past papers? Ive been trying to find the singaporean S papers but i couldnt.
jb_sweden
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
IMO is by far harder than the STEP. I can solve a great deal of STEP problems, but only manage a very few from the IMO.

The Chinese qualification contest(s) for the IMO is allegedly even harder than the IMO, by the way, which should make it the hardest contest in the world in maths for students of that age.
jb_sweden
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by futureaussiecto)

Is there anything comparable with STEP that i could use for practice, apart from the STEP past papers? Ive been trying to find the singaporean S papers but i couldnt.

http://www.kalva.demon.co.uk/

Edit: oh, which is the same as given in the original post. Bah. Anyhows, you'll be able to find good problems there.

Also, I had a like 50 pages booklet somewhere with STEP problems. I found it on the net somewhere.
dvs
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago

Maybe some olympiad papers, like the BMO. Even if they don't directly help you do better on the STEP, they're still excellent problem-solving practice.
futureaussiecto
Rep:
?
(Original post by dvs)
Maybe some olympiad papers, like the BMO. Even if they don't directly help you do better on the STEP, they're still excellent problem-solving practice.

BMO more comparable to STEP in terms of difficulty then?

ie

Not as hard.........................Har d

STEP BMO...........................IM O
yusufu
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
This booklet contains STEP style questions (many of then taken from actual STEP papers) with full working and comments.
futureaussiecto
Rep:
?
(Original post by YYYY)
This booklet contains STEP style questions (many of then taken from actual STEP papers) with full working and comments.
doesnt work- the link :p:
yusufu
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
BMO more comparable to STEP in terms of difficulty then?

ie

Not as hard.........................Har d

STEP BMO...........................IM O
I would agree with the ordering on that scale.
AFAIK BMO/IMO require knowledge beyond the A level Maths/Further Maths course. STEP is supposed to test A level knowledge.
yusufu
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
doesnt work- the link :p:
:hmmmm: I'll try and fix it.
yusufu
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Link should work now. I had somehow inserted an extra space in it.
futureaussiecto
Rep:
?
(Original post by YYYY)
Link should work now. I had somehow inserted an extra space in it.
ah yes i found that book on the cam site too! very good. havent read it all yet- but will do!
yusufu
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'm working my way through that book. Currently on Q41. By the way, what year are you in?
futureaussiecto
Rep:
?
(Original post by YYYY)
I'm working my way through that book. Currently on Q41. By the way, what year are you in?
i finished my a levels......... mickey mouse a levels and decided i wanted to do some proper qualifications, so im in my 2nd year of those. year 15?? although i do have 6.5 a levels come june..... however had i been pushed properly in a good school i could have had 12 a levels in 4 years of 6 in 2 years.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (37)
46.84%
No (42)
53.16%

Watched Threads