The Student Room Group
Reply 1
The IMO easily puts STEP to shame. :p:
Reply 2
IMO requires a considerable amount of study of a different type of Maths to even attempt the questions.
dvs
The IMO easily puts STEP to shame. :p:

thank god- they were worrying me!

Is there anything comparable with STEP that i could use for practice, apart from the STEP past papers? Ive been trying to find the singaporean S papers but i couldnt.
Reply 4
IMO is by far harder than the STEP. I can solve a great deal of STEP problems, but only manage a very few from the IMO.

The Chinese qualification contest(s) for the IMO is allegedly even harder than the IMO, by the way, which should make it the hardest contest in the world in maths for students of that age.
Reply 5
futureaussiecto

Is there anything comparable with STEP that i could use for practice, apart from the STEP past papers? Ive been trying to find the singaporean S papers but i couldnt.

http://www.kalva.demon.co.uk/

Edit: oh, which is the same as given in the original post. Bah. Anyhows, you'll be able to find good problems there.

Also, I had a like 50 pages booklet somewhere with STEP problems. I found it on the net somewhere.
Reply 6
futureaussiecto

Maybe some olympiad papers, like the BMO. Even if they don't directly help you do better on the STEP, they're still excellent problem-solving practice.
dvs
Maybe some olympiad papers, like the BMO. Even if they don't directly help you do better on the STEP, they're still excellent problem-solving practice.

BMO more comparable to STEP in terms of difficulty then?

ie

Not as hard.........................Hard

STEP BMO...........................IMO
Reply 8
This booklet contains STEP style questions (many of then taken from actual STEP papers) with full working and comments.
YYYY
This booklet contains STEP style questions (many of then taken from actual STEP papers) with full working and comments.

doesnt work- the link :p:
Reply 10
futureaussiecto
BMO more comparable to STEP in terms of difficulty then?

ie

Not as hard.........................Hard

STEP BMO...........................IMO

I would agree with the ordering on that scale.
AFAIK BMO/IMO require knowledge beyond the A level Maths/Further Maths course. STEP is supposed to test A level knowledge.
Reply 11
futureaussiecto
doesnt work- the link :p:

:hmmmm: I'll try and fix it.
Reply 12
Link should work now. I had somehow inserted an extra space in it. :redface:
YYYY
Link should work now. I had somehow inserted an extra space in it. :redface:

ah yes i found that book on the cam site too! very good. havent read it all yet- but will do!
Reply 14
I'm working my way through that book. Currently on Q41. By the way, what year are you in?
YYYY
I'm working my way through that book. Currently on Q41. By the way, what year are you in?

i finished my a levels......... mickey mouse a levels and decided i wanted to do some proper qualifications, so im in my 2nd year of those. year 15?? although i do have 6.5 a levels come june..... however had i been pushed properly in a good school i could have had 12 a levels in 4 years of 6 in 2 years.

Latest