Turn on thread page Beta

Would you still take it? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Knowing how people get freaked out by little tings, i came across a study the other day which showed that prolonged use of Ibuprofen a pain relief drug found in such pain releaving brands like Neurofen, and many normal pain releaving drugs, will make your stomach bleed eventually causing death. My point is that Ibuprofen really works, would you stop using it, or would you turn to natural remedies?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Everdawn)
    Knowing how people get freaked out by little tings, i came across a study the other day which showed that prolonged use of Ibuprofen a pain relief drug found in such pain releaving brands like Neurofen, and many normal pain releaving drugs, will make your stomach bleed eventually causing death. My point is that Ibuprofen really works, would you stop using it, or would you turn to natural remedies?
    i wouldn't stop using it. i think the fact is that you will only bleed to death if you feast upon ibuprofen day and night, is this correct?

ReputationRep:
    Define 'prolonged use'

ReputationRep:
    I think it was something like just using it on and off for years. Im in the club, if it works now, it's good. Die later.

ReputationRep:
    I think it was something like just using it on and off for years. Im in the club, if it works now, it's good. Die later.
    that is a very good philosophy. live now, die later. i shake your virtual hand.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    but i heard that doctors recommend taking an asperin a day to thin the blood and prevent heart disease (to older people). Why does it cause st9omach beeding? Where did you come across this study?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sasha D)
    but i heard that doctors recommend taking an asperin a day to thin the blood and prevent heart disease (to older people). Why does it cause st9omach beeding? Where did you come across this study?
    asprin doesn't contain ibuprofen, does it? or am i just being outwardly stupid?

ReputationRep:
    Nope, thats what i was about to say, there is no ibuprofen in stuff like asprin. Iused to play a lot of rep. basketball so when i had one of my major injuries i was on extra Ibuprofen and it worked like a charm!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ]{ingnik)
    asprin doesn't contain ibuprofen, does it? or am i just being outwardly stupid?
    No, it doesn't. Aspirin and ibuprofen are different drugs. Both damage the stomach lining to an extent, though I can't remember why (should know as I was told last week) but unless you're taking them regularly for a long time, you should be fine. Aspirin is recommended for older people at risk from heart disease, unless they have stomach ulcers, as it can make them bleed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sasha D)
    Asprin gives you stomach cancer and ulsers if you use it too much. I can't believe that doctors recommend taking one a day!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    No, it doesn't. Aspirin and ibuprofen are different drugs. Both damage the stomach lining to an extent, though I can't remember why (should know as I was told last week) but unless you're taking them regularly for a long time, you should be fine. Aspirin is recommended for older people at risk from heart disease, unless they have stomach ulcers, as it can make them bleed.
    . When I worked in boots a man almost killed me for not selling him ibuprofen because he had a stomach ulcer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cate)
    Asprin gives you stomach cancer and ulsers if you use it too much. I can't believe that doctors recommend taking one a day!

It's only a 75mg one rather than 300mg (where you might take 1-3 for pain relief). SOme people call it "baby aspirin" but of course now children under 16 can't take it, that name is rarely used.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    It's only a 75mg one rather than 300mg (where you might take 1-3 for pain relief). SOme people call it "baby aspirin" but of course now children under 16 can't take it, that name is rarely used.
    Ah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cate)
    Ulcers I knew. I didn't realise it was a mutagen as well :confused:

ReputationRep:
    asprin makes holes in kids stomach linings because they're not developed enoguh or something so under 16's can't take it, but asprin really helps to thin the blood...

ReputationRep:
    i wouldnt stop tking it because it would take quite a lot to make your stomach bleed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me!)
    asprin makes holes in kids stomach linings because they're not developed enoguh or something so under 16's can't take it, but asprin really helps to thin the blood...

I'm sure it's because it can cause Reye's syndrome in children.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    I'm sure it's because it can cause Reye's syndrome in children.
    yep they found a link with that and asprin when the kid has a viral infection like chicken pox or something, but also I think it can make holes in their stomach, but I'm basing that on Casualty...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me!)
    yep they found a link with that and asprin, but also I think it can make holes in their stomach, but I'm basing that on Casualty...

LOL. I'm basing mine on my Medical COunter Assistant qualification - surely someone out there is more qualified than a TV watcher and Boots girl?

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.