Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does this help in getting into uni, does it looks good on someones CV?

ReputationRep:
    It does if you spell it right. Duke of Edinburgh and remember to state Gold, Silver or Bronze. Still regret not doing mine.

ReputationRep:
    yea it does. helps much more if you say what skills u gained from it, even if ur just making the skills up.

ReputationRep:
    Indeed. A Gold DofE (I hope that your bizarre spelling was simply Americanisation rather than sheer illiteracy) will be given huge consideration by unis or any future employer.

I'd have got one, but it would've stood in the way of my lazing.

ReputationRep:
    Beg to differ! I really don't think it makes that much difference. You only hav a few lines on ur CV for extra-curriculars so I doubt that a uni would mind if you haven't done D of E if you've done charity work/were good at music/sport or whatever. It's a good thing to do if your the type that would be good for it but I really wasn't and I don't regret not having done it.

ReputationRep:
    i think alot of people put it one there even if theyve done bronze and make it out like theyve climbed everest

otherwise
    best.fun.ever

ReputationRep:
    Sorry about the spelling, I felt like a chav for a second there :rolleyes: :p:

Joking about the spelling. Well thanks I think I might do some charity work instead.

ReputationRep:
    I did all three awards for the DofE about six odd years ago. Dont think its worth mentioning on UCAS now though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashmufc)
    Sorry about the spelling, I felt like a chav for a second there :rolleyes: :p:

Joking about the spelling. Well thanks I think I might do some charity work instead.
    Good one. I did charity work at Oxfam for 2 years- lil tip tho don't mention if you don't have to if your under 18 cause most places want you to be 18 to volunteer.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I was going to do Oxfam as well. I emailed them but no reply, and I don't have time to phone due to revising. I'm in Yr11, if I can't I have to look elsewere.

ReputationRep:
    You will get more out of the Duke of Edinburgh IMO. Charity work would be good too as long as you aint stuck in some shop with 3 old lady customers per shift.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ashmufc)
    Thanks, I was going to do Oxfam as well. I emailed them but no reply, and I don't have time to phone due to revising. I'm in Yr11, if I can't I have to look elsewere.
    No probs! Go over to your nearest store and ask to talk to the supervisor and they'll give you a form to fill out n a short interview just askin q's like 'what is oxfam'/'do you have a criminal record'? It's not bad working there and gives you good retail experience I guess + it's gd to do charity work.

ReputationRep:
    dont do duke of edinburgh just for uni. all the med applicants in my schl who'd never gone out of their room before all wanted to do DofE to try and get into a medicine degree. it was so stupid.

DofE was amazing, i did the silver and its one of those things you dont forget.

ReputationRep:
    Don't do charity work in a shop either, will soon get very boring. Help at an animal shelter or anything more interesting and fun.

ReputationRep:
    I think it helps when applying to most unis, but if you're aiming Oxbridge then they don't really care if you've done D of E, there are far more important aspects of you they're interested in.

Great fun though and imo worth the effort as it's a great experience and you can get a lot out of it. Gives you something to talk about in interviews too, say if they ask you when you've displayed leadership, you can yak about how you saved your team when you were horribly lost and no food and no water and generally dying...

ReputationRep:
    Like most things, don't just do it for your CV or for your UCAS application etc. If you want to do it, or want to do other charity/voluntary work etc then do it anyway. Things like that do look good on your CV etc, but they are far from being essential, you won't get a job or uni offer just because of that. You will pick up useful skills etc, but there is no point at all doing something you don't really want to do just for the sake of your CV.

I did do my bronze, silver and gold DofE award, voluntary work at the RSPCA and help run a Guide unit. I am always asked about them at interviews, people want to know what I gained from them, what I enjoyed/enjoy about them etc. So if I had only done them for the sake of it I would look pretty bad at an interview trying to explain what I enjoy about it!! Also, I was stuck with one guy for my DofE who was only doing it for his CV, his parents thought it would look good and that he should do it. He didnt want to, spent the whole time moaning and winding everybody up, which meant that people didn't get on with him that well, so he hated it even more!

Anyway, enough waffle, what I am really trying to say is only do what you want to do for you, don't do it for a CV, do something that you will enjoy!

ReputationRep:
    DofE has 5 sections at Gold. Physical recreation, service, skill, residential and expedition. Why are people advocating charity work? DofE covers that in the service section.

DofE encompasses the type of extra curriculars that unis look for. Have you been involved in sport? Have you volunteered your time for charity/ community? Do you have an interesting skill? These things make you look "normal", and if most people do most of these things anyway, so why not make them count as part of a DofE award.

You'll need grades, work experience and an interest in the subject to get your place at uni, however these kind of things help. DofE shows the uni that you have perseverance etc.!

ReputationRep:
    Gold DofE was one of the best weeks of my life, albeit all the pain and suffereing and blood and tears.
    Soo goood!!!

xxx

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 15, 2006
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.