Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I don't know if this is possible and universities have got answer machines on at the mo so wondering if anyone can enlighten me :confused:

Basically, Ive failed a module in this- my first year and they said that they need to consider the extenuating reasons I provided for that failure before they confirm whether I can progress to the second year as normal or if I will have to repeat the module course and therefore do an extra year :eek:

This extra year is playing on my mind and is as pleasant as a kick in the teeth tbh!

Anyway, I was wondering *and wishing and hoping* that it would be possible to transfer to another uni with less strict rules which would allow me to start from the second year?

Is this a possibility or am I just living in la-la land?

Does anyone know or have experience of this? i.e. transfered to another uni and continued into the second year?

Also, if anyone has any info on how to go about transferring etc I will be truly grateful to you for ever :suith: :suith: :suith:

Thanks very much guys x x x x x x

ReputationRep:
    To transfer you need to talk to the university you want to transfer to and your current uni. They'll usually give you some grades to achieve in your modules before they officially accept you. After you've talked to them you need to go through UCAS.

Sorry, cant help you in the other matter.
    I'm in middle of transferring too. Have submitted my UCAS form and am waiting for a decision.

Theres a massive thread on transferring btw.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks rabbit,

I'll have a look through the thread just looks a bit overwhelming!
    Do you think its too late for me to think about transferring? I know the UCAS deadline was ages ago wasn't it?

I just dont know what to do because I still dont know whether they will actually make me repeat a year or not? So I might end up transferring without needing to

Any other experiences/suggestions will still be very welcome

ReputationRep:
    If you transfer to a university that is willing to accept you even though you've failed a module, you'd almost certainly be transferring to a university which isn't as good as the one you're at now. I'd say stick where you are, even if you have to repeat a year, or change courses altogether.

ReputationRep:
    Most unis would want you to have passed your first year to acccept you into the second year. Which means that your problem with your failed module won't disappear if you change unis. They would probably let you into their first year, but that means that you will still have to start from scratch. So I personally think that you won't gain anything from transferring unis unless you are unhappy with the currently you are already at.

You've never mentioned the specifics of you failing your module? Did you fail one exam/piece of coursework? Or several? Is there no possibility to resit this exam/coursework during the summer? Do you have an extenuating reason for failing?

ReputationRep:
    There are about 9 modules which you just have to pass to be allowed to progress to the second year,

The module I failed was an exam which can possibly be resat in the summer(just waiting for my current uni to tell me I can)

but if they dont, Im hoping another uni will let me retake it in the summer - or perhaps that module isnt even studied so it wont make a difference?

:confused:

ReputationRep:
    Whether that module is studied at the new uni is kind of irrelevant as you'd still be deemed to have failed your first year elsewhere. Are your uni being extra hard on you? I thought they all allowed you to resit a failed exam anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Im not definitely allowed to resit the exam in the summer because my mark was 3% off the cut-off point where they allow you to do so,

If I had gained that extra 3% they would have let me resit it this year with no problem,

I asked them to reconsider and now Im just waiting for their decision

ReputationRep:
    Can't you fabricate some extenuating circumstance?

ReputationRep:
    LOL funny you should say that.......

Ive given them reasons thats why they are considering letting me retake, its just a matter of waiting,

Looking back I think that the reasons I gave seem a bit weak altho I did provide medical evidence!

Dont know - just dont want to be stuck with loads of people not my age if I have to repeat and my friends will be in different lectures

ReputationRep:
    If you have medical evidence they should be fine about it, after all it's in their best interest to have you pass first year aswell

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully

I think I'll just stay on and repeat the course (its only 2 months) then maybe I will be able to get a placement somewhere until the 2nd year starts.....

Do you know if thats possible? i.e is it easy to get a placement somewhere?

Also, if anyone knows, how do you deal with the loan form when you dont know whats happening next year? :s

p.s sorry for asking a 100000000 qyestions!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cookiecrumble)
    Anyway, I was wondering *and wishing and hoping* that it would be possible to transfer to another uni with less strict rules which would allow me to start from the second year?
    As far as I am aware, all universities require that you pass 120 credits before you can progress. If your current uni fails you on one module then you won't have enough credits to start the second year at any uni.

ReputationRep:
    Thats why I was asking whether another university would allow me to resit the exam in the summer so I can pass the module without repeating a year unecessarily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cookiecrumble)
    Thats why I was asking whether another university would allow me to resit the exam in the summer so I can pass the module without repeating a year unecessarily.
    Your university might, but I seriously doubt another university would. There is no standard syllabus, so what exams would you sit? You couldn't sit the new universities one, because that is likely to be completely different material. They wouldn't go to the trouble of getting an exam paper from your old university. So you are best to hope that your one lets you resit the exam.

If you have geniune extenuating circumstances then you need not worry.

ReputationRep:
    I think your best hope is to try and persuade your current university to allow you to resit in the summer . No reasonably good university will allow a student that has failed the first year at a different uni progress to a second year there. It is also incredibly unlikely that the prospective uni will allow you to sit a substitute resit as they will almost definitely not offer a module with an identical syllabus as the one you have previously failed.

My advice would be that you should seriously consider this plan of transferring universities. After all, if you hadn't failed the module and thus the year would you even consider such a drastic change? I know it can be tempting to run away from your problems and attempt to create a new life elsewhere but there really is no guarantee taht you will like this new course as much as the one you are leaving behind

ReputationRep:
    Im glad I found this post. I have recently started by nursing in Jan and become very disillusioned by the uni that Im studying at. Was hoping that I could transfer to somewhere like South Bank in London. Have found this post useful.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.