Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm in my final year @ college and have been told by a ex-computer science student that I should start using Linux as it will benefit me greatly. I've installed it and everything but I need to know how to install programs. I know there is the application install function, but where do I go from there?

ReputationRep:
    Debian uses a package system called APT.

Make sure you're connected to the internet, go into the console, and type apt-get synaptic. You might already have it installed, I'm not sure what your setup is. Replace synaptic with any other package to install that (apt-get search firefox works for searching).

Synaptic is a package manager which will give you a nice searchable list of downloadable stuff.

What do you want to install, and is it Debian Sid/Sarge/Etch?

ReputationRep:
    I tink it's sarge. I haven't set up ANYTHING. I've only done the start up set up. and my user name etc. Do you think Debian is good for Computer Science. My friend said SUSE is TOO easy and debian is in the middle between suse and another one which is more complicated. He used the more complicated one but told me to start with debian as its mid-difficulty.

ReputationRep:
    I just want to be able to install files from cd rom and start putting a GUI together. The GUI bit looks too complicated. How do I start a GUI going and install programs such as media players and listen 2 music collection etc. You know i'm trying to get at. I know it sounds as if i'm being too lazy but I got LOADS of college work to get over with so it wouldn't hurt if you guys can cross those small hurdles for me. I got LINUX in a nutshell from the O'REILLY series - any references from there would also be quite useful.

Thanks alot!

ReputationRep:
    If i'm not connected to the internet then how can I set it up 'cos i only used it once or twice cos im so busy

ReputationRep:
    O NO!!! I forgot my password! How do I reset it? is it possible? I hope I don't have to reinstall it.

EDIT: After searching through google I found out!

ReputationRep:
    Err well, if its not connected to the internet, which CD did you install from? apt-get should still be there, but I think you'll also have a program called deselect. Ignore my stuff about synaptic.

ReputationRep:
    I downloaded the link choad gave me for Debian Sarge for x86 version and ten burnd it 2 cd myself. I'm gonna have to work sometin out about the apt-get.

ReputationRep:
    This is getting annoying now. I used the apt-get command to install mozilla...
    Code:
    apt-get install mozilla
    It didn't let me. So I checked if i was connected by...

Code:
    ping www.google.com
    It pinged @ 40ms-ish.

What am I doing wrong?

ReputationRep:
    Do I have to have ANYTHING else installed? Can you tell me what the FIRST EVER thing I install apart from Debian and the initial setup etc.

ReputationRep:
    I still haven't tried the synaptic thing. I'll give that a go first.

ReputationRep:
    OK. Synaptic don't work either. What else?

ReputationRep:
    What error does it give you?

And can you show me what Choad suggested you download? What form of install did you do? Do you have your user account set up on the bash prompt, or do you log in using root?

ReputationRep:
    ok u will need to be the super user

open a console

#su root
    #<root password>

#apt-get update
    #apt-get install <packagename>

also could you post the contents of your /etc/apt/sources.list file?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I made the assumption that he was root. Dselect is probably the best menu frontend for bash.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Choad)
    ok u will need to be the super user

open a console

#su root
    #<root password>

#apt-get update
    #apt-get install <packagename>

also could you post the contents of your /etc/apt/sources.list file?
    OK. Thanks for that but I already knew that information. Now the problem I think is the /etc/apt/sources.list. It is currently ....security.debian.org....(bla. bla)
    That's the only URL. I was told that it is only for the security updates in Debian. I'm gonna add another line, which will have ....debian.blueyonder.co.uk.... - 'cos that's my service provider and thus a good mirror for packages. So basically I had the basic thing that comes with the Linux.

ReputationRep:
    I'll post the full contents of /etc/apt/sources.list later when I've edited it with vi. Currently it has some text and the main URL tat u get with debian for security updates. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    You might want to try looking at ubuntu. Its debian based but more noobie friendly. Its also a lot more up to date package wise than debian (if you use dapper).

ReputationRep:
    The reason why i'm not using any noobie distro is because I need to have atleast a mid-difficulty distro so that way it'll help me to get familiar with other distros easily. Another reason is I don't want to be called a noob .

ReputationRep:
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...d.php?t=330913

just litterally cut n paste the op's list.

then apt-get update

it will take quite a while!

then you will be able to install just about anything!

try to avoid using apt-get upgrade because i tend to find it breaks systems more often than not

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: September 30, 2006
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.