• Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    i didn't even know that was being built, you would think it would be hard to miss!

It just reminds me of the Spinnaker Tower in Portsmouth - a complete waste of money. It doesn't exactly fit in with the rest of York...

ReputationRep:
    It is only temporary and will have cost absolutely nothing for the city, its right next to the NRM as they were refused permission last summer for it to be near Cliffords Tower.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    It would have been better in the park near Cliffords Tower if you ask me. The original plans were to have it there last year in time for Royal Ascot @ York.

But still, I might try to get a few mates to go over there with me next week when we start arriving back in York.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xKTx)
    i didn't even know that was being built, you would think it would be hard to miss!
    Well if you read Nouse thoroughly, we devoted a whole corner of page 7 to it a few weeks ago!

ReputationRep:
    The company who are running the wheel have a website at:

www.worldtouristattractions.co.uk

The York wheel isn't up there yet but I would imagine it will be in the next few days. Guess its going to cost th same as the Manchester and Birmingham ones at £5.50. Its open 10-10 Mon-Thur and 10-11 Fri and Sat.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    £5.50?

That is ridiculous...especially since they are sat in the grounds of a massive museum which costs nothing to get in to....

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the heads up. I came back to York on Tuesday and when I got at the train station I saw this massive wheel looking just like the London eye and I was wondering what it was.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by eth0)
    thanks for the heads up. I came back to York on Tuesday and when I got at the train station I saw this massive wheel looking just like the London eye and I was wondering what it was.
    I'd seen it a couple of time over the last week or so, but on Sunday was the first time I saw it close up. I too was in the train station and had to go down to platform 4 and the wheel was directly opposite that platform. It was quite a nice view out of the station towards it

ReputationRep:
    £5.50? Hardly ridiculous, its not like you're gonna be using it everyday is it?
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by x.narb.x)
    £5.50? Hardly ridiculous, its not like you're gonna be using it everyday is it?
    No, but it's only a big wheel. You can go up York Minster to get similar views for much less. An there you are viewing the inside of an important historic building and getting some exercise at the same time.

ReputationRep:
    how didn't we hear about/see something like that being built?

I'M THERE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xKTx)
    It doesn't exactly fit in with the rest of York...
    could not agree more with that. On the one side you have York Minster and on the other side you have this massive wheel. Unless they want to show that York is a modern city with great history or something like that.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by eth0)
    could not agree more with that. On the one side you have York Minster and on the other side you have this massive wheel. Unless they want to show that York is a modern city with great history or something like that.
    I think that is probably what they want to show. I mean York is great for it's history, but there seriously isn't much that is modern. I love the history, but that doesn't have to be at the expense of anything new or modern.

And seen as this is only temporary, I think it is even better: shows York can be a modern city, but not by doing something permanent, just in case tit doesn't look so good when completed (like that horrendous building which houses Fibbers down on The Stonebow...60s architecture at it's worst).

ReputationRep:
    I was originally looking for the "1st April" date on it.

But i'm there.

ReputationRep:
    on second thoughts i won't believe it till i see it.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by sophieD)
    on second thoughts i won't believe it till i see it.
    Do believe it. I have seen it with my own eyes...but even then you want to look to see if your eyesight have been doctored to superimpose the image o the wheel on your vision

ReputationRep:
    Been getting letters thru the post about this thing for weeks now, I'm glad its finally up.

£5.50 per person or per room thing?

Would be pretty fun if you rent a little cabin thing out for the night like you can on the london eye.

ReputationRep:
    hahha when I went for the York Student briefing in my country (Im an international student btw) the international office guy told me that theres no building higher than soem cathedral in york...

looks like theres something higher now...
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by player23)
    hahha when I went for the York Student briefing in my country (Im an international student btw) the international office guy told me that theres no building higher than soem cathedral in york...

looks like theres something higher now...
    Nope. The wheel should still be lower than the Minster....the Minster is huge..the largest Gothic cathedral north of the Alps in Europe I believe the claim goes.

The wheel is 60m high, while the Minster is over 70m high at it's tallest.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.