The Student Room Group

Running 10k

Hey folks :biggrin:

Im running a 10k run for a laugh (well charity) and I cant run for **** ;p... I have never rand for more than 1.5miles in a go ;p (well never really tried)

Anyway, any suggestions for training? I know this sound absolutely stupid and I probably look like a complete ass when I say this. I only have 1.5 weeks of training (+ a couple of days). Im not planning to run the 10k in 1h or less - infact Im not bothered -- I just want to run it in under 1h20min, just finish the bloody thing ;p

Is 10k actually hard? It doesnt sound that much - can be walked in 2h (I think). What are the chances of me making it in under 1h 20min?

Cheers

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
XxXmowgliXxX

Im running a 10k run for a laugh (well charity) and I cant run for **** ;p... I have never rand for more than 1.5miles in a go ;p (well never really tried)

Anyway, any suggestions for training? I know this sound absolutely stupid and I probably look like a complete ass when I say this. I only have 1.5 weeks of training (+ a couple of days). Im not planning to run the 10k in 1h or less - infact Im not bothered -- I just want to run it in under 1h20min, just finish the bloody thing ;p

Is 10k actually hard? It doesnt sound that much - can be walked in 2h (I think). What are the chances of me making it in under 1h 20min?

Cheers

good chance. It's about 6miles, so yes you are right about walking it in 2h.

Give it a good go.
Reply 2
XxXmowgliXxX

Cheers

Well at 1hr 20mins, your looking at 8minutes per kilometre...so thats about 12.5mins per mile? Thats very easily doable assuming your vaguely fit.
Reply 3
1.5 weeks!

Unfortunately I don't think you'll be able to get up to running 10k in that time, but if you just want to run some and walk the rest then I'd say general aerobic activities- swimming, jogging at the same pace on relatively level ground, cycling.

They say before the day of these events you should have completed the distance at least once. So set yourself a target, and on the last few days of your training try to run as far as you plan to in the real thing.

And I thought the same amount of time to improve on my bleep test score was optimistic! :biggrin: Anyway, good luck and well done for doing something like this. :smile:
Reply 4
1.5 week should be fine.

when i started running like 3 wks ago, I started from 4k, then next day 7k, then next day 10k and so on up to 20-22k... its a matter of strong will and a lot of sleep (if you can afford it... after i run for 22k i just sleep for 10h ^_^)... and you need to eat properly - the amout of food I consume after running for 3 wks is 3x the amout before the whole thing...

just run every day, each day longer distance than the day before (1-2k)... the only consequence of it is that when you stop suddenly after the charity event, you will feel really weak and you will have to recover for a few days...

you can do running in the evening and then have hot bath and alot of sleep (this works for me very well as on the next day my muscles do not hurt)

well, thats all what I can suggest...
fo real, any untrained person off the street is probably able to run 10km without much trouble (except most would be all gay about it LOL IM NOT DOING EXERCISE WTF I MIGHT SWEAT L0lzx1w)

train however, do what [maciek] says if you want. Just run etc, and be well rested for the actual race. Contrast showers are the **** for recovery btw
Reply 6
Hmm, don't expect to be able to run consistently, but sure you could do it. With these charity runs many people seem to walk anyway, and dress up! Good for you!
Reply 7
i ran 6 miles in 48 minutes yesterday :biggrin: You're feet and knees will give out before your lungs... i also doubt most people could run 6 miles lol, it does require some amount of fitness :tsr2: :tsr2: :tsr2: :tsr2: :tsr2: :tsr2: :tsr2:
To put 10k in perspective, im going thailand in the summer to train Muay Thai, and we run 10k each morning as a warm-up, so that shows that it really isn't a big deal. Good luck with it!
Reply 9
You run for an hour for a warmup? If so, I'd look at going to somewhere that actually knows what the **** they're doing.
Reply 10
cheers everybody

illl start some running today :biggrin: (3-4k) and then build it up by 1/2k every day
Reply 11
You only have a week, theres no real point building any distance up now.

Just run as hard as you can for 20 minutes each day, add by 2 minutes everyday until 2 days before the race.
Get decent trainers and insoles. Try not to run on hard surfaces all the time, find a route that has as much grass as possible.
Reply 13
Why, when she will be running on hard surfaces for the race?
freshestkid
To put 10k in perspective, im going thailand in the summer to train Muay Thai, and we run 10k each morning as a warm-up, so that shows that it really isn't a big deal. Good luck with it!

When you go in for officer training for being a Royal Marine Commando, you have to run a 6 mile run in boots - are you saying that you're as fit as a would-be Commando?

I do Muay Thai too, and the actual training regime we do is exhausting enough even without running. I know that proper thai fighters are amazingly fit, but a 10k run in the morning? Are you planning on becoming a pro? :biggrin:

At the OP: I recommend skipping, a lot of skipping, and of course running itself. The skipping will build up your leg muscles, and the running will prepare you for the run itself. :smile:
x.narb.x

It's best to not have shin splints before the race has even started :wink:
Reply 16
Its best to get used to the pounding running on roads does to your legs, too. Otherwise she could run into problems before she even finishes the race. Like I said, no point doing long distance stuff this late, just short hard sessions.
Reply 17
x.narb.x

im a guy

:mad:
from my experience- i think you will find it bloody hard to run 10k with only a week and a half to train.
Reply 19
suuuuuuseh
1.5 weeks!

Unfortunately I don't think you'll be able to get up to running 10k in that time, but if you just want to run some and walk the rest then I'd say general aerobic activities- swimming, jogging at the same pace on relatively level ground, cycling.

They say before the day of these events you should have completed the distance at least once. So set yourself a target, and on the last few days of your training try to run as far as you plan to in the real thing.

And I thought the same amount of time to improve on my bleep test score was optimistic! :biggrin: Anyway, good luck and well done for doing something like this. :smile:

Really? Wow I didnt know that.. I did a 10k a couple of years ago and had only run no more than about 6km at a time before it and still did it in under 50mins woooo!

Latest

Trending

Trending